ANNOUNCEMENT: Myth Singles Tournament

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: Myth Singles Tournament

Post by setht » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:05 am

This is an announcement for the first-ever (as far as I know) myth singles tournament, Myth Singles 1: Tlazolteotl Chows Down. This momentous event is currently slated to take place on the weekend of November 5th, following the Illinois Open tournament at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

I would love to have other sites run the tournament in regions with sufficient player interest, either that same weekend, or soon after. So, if you're a player interested in playing the singles at some site other than UIUC, let people know who are hosting tournaments in your area. If you're hosting a tournament on the weekend of Nov. 5th, or soon after, and you're interested in running the singles, please let me know (setht AT uchicago DOT edu).

If you are interested in playing the singles at UIUC on November 5th, please email both myself (setht AT uchicago DOT edu) and Mike Sorice (msorice@uiuc.edu). So far, the plan is to run the singles at UIUC on Saturday right after Illinois Open finishes. The format will almost certainly be a round-robin, full or bracketed depending on the number of entrants.

I haven't made any final decisions regarding entry or mirroring fees, but said fees will be low, or very probably non-existent.

The questions will cover a wide range of mythologies, including but not limited to: Greco-Roman, Norse, Hindu, Egyptian, Celtic, Mesoamerican, East Asian, Native American, Middle Eastern, and African. There will also be questions covering common topics in multiple mythologies. The distribution will be weighted in favor of Greco-Roman and other mythologies that seem more commonly known. I am doing my best to keep things as accessible as possible while covering a wide range of mythology.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me (setht AT uchicago DOT edu).

-Seth

setht
Auron

Post by setht » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:16 pm

It looks like I will have about 13 rounds of myth questions.

People hosting mirrors at other schools: I will try to send the questions out by Wednesday night. Let me know if it's going to be a problem if I send the questions on Thursday or Friday. So far, I'm planning on sending the questions to Angelo Malaban and Chris Borglum. Angelo and Chris, let me know if I should send them to some other person for printing so you guys can play. If anyone else wants to run a mirror, let me know. There's no mirror fee, unless you charge a large entry fee.

People playing at UIUC: so far, I have the following people listed as playing: Susan Ferrari, Selene Koo, Andrew Yaphe, Jerry Vinokurov, Mike Sorice, Kelly Tourdot, Rob Severson, Ryan Westbrook, Gerald Patton, and Seth Kendall. If you want to get on or off that list, let me know. If we keep 10 people or expand up to 11 or 12, we'll run a full round robin, possibly followed by bracketed round robin (10 people), or just finals if needed (11 or 12 people). I might collect the harder questions in the last one or two packets, in which case we can get everyone in one room and play free for all at the end, if people want. If there are good readers from your Illinois Open team who are willing to stick around and help read the myth tournament, please let me know. Assuming Illinois Open finishes around 5 or 6 pm, we'll probably break for dinner, then come back and play myth.

I think that's it. If you have any questions, let me know (setht AT uchicago DOT edu).

-Seth