Illinois Side Event Open - 8/11/18

Old college threads.
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Illinois Side Event Open - 8/11/18

Post by John Ketzkorn »

With dates finalized and rooms reserved, I'm happy to announce that Illinois will be hosting a summer open on August 11th and August 12th.

Ideally, I'd like to run one "main event" on Saturday, but that's pending a possible Cambridge Open / Oxford Open mirror since many Illinois players will have played/heard NASAT by August. If there's interest, we could also run Canadian Hybrid.

For now, the format will likely be 3 to 4 side events on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. I'd like to gauge people's interest on 1. if they plan on attending, 2. what events they'd like to play/staff, please help by filling out this google doc. If there's an event you would like to see played that isn't listed, please let me know.

EDIT: The date of this event may be changed to August 18th. If you have any issues with availability, please fill out this form

EDIT:

We will begin promptly at 8:45am in Armory 333 on both Saturday (August 11th) and Sunday (August 12th). Please arrive early -- especially so if you are bringing buzzers.

Armory is right next to the main library. Lot E3, surrounding the library, is available for free parking during the day. Note that you will be unable to park here overnight. Should you need overnight parking, there are several free lots available that you can find here. Hyperlinks on that page should take you to a (hideous) graphic design where the letter / # of the lot is somewhere on the figure. Should you still have concerns about finding parking, feel free to get in contact with me.

Discounts:
Main event will have $10 discounts for each functional buzzer (2 sets of 4 working buzzers that have no noticeable issues) up to -$20.

Waived admission into one of Words and Objects, WORLDSTAR, Human Use, FILM or RAPTURE for each event staffed with own functioning laptop (laptops will be provided as needed. You will need to make a neg5 account for preliminary stat tracking if you don't have one already)

*This does not apply to FTP3, Imaginary Landscape No.4, Chomping Down at Shoney's where set writers will directly handle payment from individual players. If you see your set listed and you wish Illinois to handle the responsibility of collecting payments from players and getting you paid in short order, please get in contact with me.

Pricing:
Cambridge open will be $25/player ($100 for a 4 person team).

For side events:

Worldstar, Words and Objects

$12/person

RAPTURE, FILM, Imaginary Landscape:

$10/person

Chomping Down at Shoney's:

$5/person

Human Use of Human Beings:

$2/person
Last edited by John Ketzkorn on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Illinois Side Event Open - 8/11/18

Post by Cheynem »

Sounds like fun.

I would personally prefer no main event and go for all side events, although I'll defer to the masses on this. An abbreviated main event, though, could probably still allow for most of the side events, especially if Sunday is completely free.

I wonder if you want to do some sort of ranked system that indicates what people REALLY want to play (I did this on my choices).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Outside of the potential Americanized hybrid, will there be entry fees? I'm working on getting a gang of high schoolers together.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, the ranking system worked pretty well last year, provided you can set up the form and read the results properly.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Another option is of course "shootout to cram in remaining events." My terrible event might be best played in that format, for example.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I'd be down for a british main event
much less inclined for the canadian event
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Thanks for putting this together Mike and Illinois. I'm planning on driving to this from the Detroit Metro area so let me know if you need a ride if you live in Michigan (or maybe Indiana idk).

I'd also be down for a British "main event". CamO was pretty fun last year. On the topic of our set FTP 3: I think it would be best played at a Saturday night get together after dinner or something. It's only 5 packets long, and the bonuses don't have to be read if people don't want to, so it could work as a shootout. I would definitely like it to be played if I come out to UIUC though :)
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'm going to this, I'd definitely prefer an all-side event slate to a main event, though of course would gladly play a British main event if that's what people want.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I'm definitely going to this if there is an all-subject main event in addition to side events, but there's a good chance that I'll come to an all side-event weekend as well. If I do come, I'll try to bring some WUSTL people as well.
Last edited by Charbroil on Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Also, if OCTAVIAN is going to be played (since it will apparently be done by the end of June), I will 100% be there.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'll play this site if there's a British event + any number of side events.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Would anyone be opposed to this event being pushed back to August 18th? Seems that may accommodate some people busy the weekend of the 11th, but if this adversely affects more people, I'd be against doing so.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would prefer the 11th. Obviously I'm just one person though, so maybe a poll is in order.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

John Ketzkorn wrote:Would anyone be opposed to this event being pushed back to August 18th? Seems that may accommodate some people busy the weekend of the 11th, but if this adversely affects more people, I'd be against doing so.
Perhaps a Google poll where people could indicate their likeliness to come on each date would be good.

EDIT: Didn't see Mike's post.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

I've created a form here
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Looking at form responses, we've ultimately settled on keeping the dates as is.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

When do you think you'll have a schedule of events finalized?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Cheynem wrote:When do you think you'll have a schedule of events finalized?
We should have a schedule of events out sometime within the next two weeks. Not necessarily "finalized" since I'd like to give people another week or two to make suggestions before cementing our plan for the weekend.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Here's our schedule as of today (June 12th). If you'd like to discuss possible reordering / evens I missed that you feel I should try, feel free to post here or email me.

Informal:
FTP 3 - Harris Bunker will presumably be organizing the logistics of this

Saturday:
Cambridge Open (no forum post, but distribution is same as last year) - Teams of 4
Words and Objects - Teams of 2
SNICK - ??? open to suggestions for now I'll leave it at teams of 4
Extra time for Trash events

Sunday:
WORLDSTAR - Teams of 4
The Human Use of Human Beings - Teams of 4
RAPTURE - I like the idea of running this as a tiered shootout of rooms of 6 to 8, but I'm open to suggestions

Events with time remaining on Saturday/Sunday (most likely as shootouts) - we can go as late as people please and hopefully we can get through a lot of quizbowl:
FILM
Chomping Down at Shoney's

Here's a team formation sheet for all side events
Last edited by John Ketzkorn on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Seems good. I will say that three events, if one of them is a full tournament, seems perhaps a lot on Saturday, but you did choose both a small event (Words and Objects) and a trash event (SNICK), so good scheduling there. Perhaps just plan on a late day. In contrast, I think Sunday could probably even work in another event, but we do have two events to perhaps be played as shootouts, so that also could be good scheduling. In short, overscheduling Saturday and underscheduling Sunday seems like the best plan--things can be moved to Sunday and there's always late night shootouts.

I am looking for teams for all events except WORLDSTAR, which I plan on staffing (and I might have a team for SNICK already).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is there a chance of any Friday events (perhaps some of the informal ones)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Cheynem wrote:Is there a chance of any Friday events (perhaps some of the informal ones)?
If there's enough interest, there's a very good chance we can run events Friday -- either at someone from the Illinois club's apartment or in a classroom on campus. I'm gonna hold off on doing a survey at the moment, but people should feel free post their thoughts on possibly holding events Friday evening.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote:Is there a chance of any Friday events (perhaps some of the informal ones)?
This was the plan for FTP 3. I'd be fine either holding it in a hotel room or in a class room depending on interest and what people want to do.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will lobby for my event to be guaranteed at least the first Sunday shootout slot after the other events, as I will actually be in attendance.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Words and Objects is a pretty well controlled and concise event - I definitely think you can comfortably fit it in after a main event.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can we get some information about the prices for these various events?

My event will be $5 a person, assuming a shootout. I do not know if Illinois needs to charge anything more in order to pay for the cost of hosting.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Cambridge open will be $25/player ($100 for a 4 person team).

For side events:

Worldstar, Words and Objects

$12/person

RAPTURE, FILM:

$10/person

Chomping Down at Shoney's:

$5/person

Human Use of Human Beings:

$2/person
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Erik has unfortunately decided to pull the Illinois mirror of SNICK, and I'm sorry to all those who were looking forward to playing it at the Illinois site.

This should at the very least mean we have plenty of time to get through both FILM and Chomping Down at Shoney's.

If people (myself included) are disappointed by this lack of non-film trash, I'm going to highly encourage the writing of a (hopefully mostly non-film) Guerrilla Trash Tournament. Obviously people may be busy writing for other things, but I'd gladly contribute a packet of questions if people show interest in something like this replacing SNICK.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

John Ketzkorn wrote:Erik has unfortunately decided to pull the Illinois mirror of SNICK, and I'm sorry to all those who were looking forward to playing it at the Illinois site.

This should at the very least mean we have plenty of time to get through both FILM and Chomping Down at Shoney's.

If people (myself included) are disappointed by this lack of non-film trash, I'm going to highly encourage the writing of a (hopefully mostly non-film) Guerrilla Trash Tournament. Obviously people may be busy writing for other things, but I'd gladly contribute a packet of questions if people show interest in something like this replacing SNICK.
Luckily, me and my other writers already have 5 packets of 20/20 trash in FTP3. Could this take the time slot that used to be occupied by SNICK?

In any event, I'd happy submit some amount of guerilla trash if ends up happening I like guerilla events.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can I push for Shoneys or FILM to get the Saturday night slot that SNICK had, and move the guerrilla trash tournament then to late Sunday? (I am not sure if late Saturday is enough time for a full tossup/bonus set like FTP, but I'll defer to the masses)

I also agree that the guerrilla thing would be mild fun. Do you mind if I set up an announcement for that?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Since there is now time for it, if there is any interest in a one-room shootout of Imaginary Landscape No. 4, please let me know.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:Since there is now time for it, if there is any interest in a one-room shootout of Imaginary Landscape No. 4, please let me know.
I would definitely staff this if people are interested!
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Another thing is possibly doing like a tossups-only running of that trash set the Florida people produced (John Charles Daly).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I made a poll for when FTP3 should be played for those interested. I'd prefer it be a casual event on Saturday night maybe after dinner because I'm driving from Detroit on Friday and will probably be pretty tired Friday night. I want to maximize the amount of people who'll play so let me know what you think!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I just finalized my plans to make it to this, so I'd like to find teams for the following events:

Cambridge Open
WORLDSTAR

If you want to team up, let me know!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

For what it’s worth, I’d prefer to move one of the two film tournaments to the Saturday night spot previously occupied by Snick and keep everything else the same.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I agree with Tejas that two consecutive film events is not ideal. I'd definitely play anything, but I think it would be good to not hyperconcentrate the film.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

My preference might be--if we have a decent amount of time on Saturday, do FILM as doubles or teams. If we don't, do my event as a shootout. Then, do the remaining event (probably as a shootout of some sort?) on Sunday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Cheynem wrote:My preference might be--if we have a decent amount of time on Saturday, do FILM as doubles or teams. If we don't, do my event as a shootout. Then, do the remaining event (probably as a shootout of some sort?) on Sunday.
I'd highly recommend the FILM as some kind of teams, doubles or whatsoever--the set tends to cover a couple different niches of interest simultaneously, which works well for teams--but it's obviously up to the TDs to decide.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Per Raynor's advice, I've now made FILM doubles so feel free to start taking partners. All changes have been updated on the spreadsheet. The current plan is as follows:

FTP3 on Friday (I presume Harris would prefer teams, so I've added to the spreadsheet as such).

FILM as doubles following Words and Objects on Saturday.

Imaginary Landscape for those interested on Saturday either concurrently or following FILM as probably a 1 room shootout.

Shoneys on Sunday as a shootout.

If people want, we can alternate guerrilla packets with Shoneys on Sunday to break up the monotony of film (which is meant with no disrespect to either Raynor or Mike's set).
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

John Ketzkorn wrote: Imaginary Landscape for those interested on Saturday either concurrently or following FILM as probably a 1 room shootout.
Definitely not concurrently! (As if I would miss a film tournament...)
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I just put my name down as a free agent for some things. Let me know if want to team up.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We can see how people react, but I think Shoneys will go pretty fast as a shootout, has gotten good reviews at playtesting, and is just eight packets, so I'd like to be able to just read the event straight through. If people are shellshocked though, we can throw in some gorilla trash (or alternatively, people who don't want to play Shoneys can do some of that?).

I am looking for a partner for FILM, preferably someone who knows some combination of contemporary, foreign, or art film.

(Update: FILM partner is Math Laser)
Last edited by Cheynem on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
John Ketzkorn wrote: Imaginary Landscape for those interested on Saturday either concurrently or following FILM as probably a 1 room shootout.
Definitely not concurrently! (As if I would miss a film tournament...)
Cheynem wrote:We can see how people react, but I think Shoneys will go pretty fast as a shootout, has gotten good reviews at playtesting, and is just eight packets, so I'd like to be able to just read the event straight through. If people are shellshocked though, we can throw in some gorilla trash (or alternatively, people who don't want to play Shoneys can do some of that?).
These points sound fair to me. If people are interested in non-film trash, they're welcome to start convincing people to write some questions.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

For my tournament, unless we're short on time, I will probably do the tiered two-room format in which people are sent up and down accordingly to try to pair appropriate skill levels.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

FTP3 is going to be held Friday, August 10th on campus at probably around 6 o'clock. Please use the last tab on the team formation sheet if you wish to play! Doubles or quads would be okay with me.

Thanks and I hope to see people there.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Where on campus is everything taking place?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Hey everyone,

We will be holding the event in room 146 of the Armory. We recommend people park at the main library.

We will be aiming to start at 8:45 on both days so try to arrive at 8:15-8:30.

Additionally, anyone who staffs, and brings a laptop, will be given a free entry to a side event for each event they staff. We will also be giving $10 discounts for bringing buzzers.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I like the staffing discount thing, although that almost seems like a too generous discount (seems like staffing a couple events will result in not having to pay much on the weekend).

(Not that I am bothered!)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Illinois Admin wrote:Hey everyone,

We will be holding the event in room 146 of the Armory. We recommend people park at the main library.

We will be aiming to start at 8:45 on both days so try to arrive at 8:15-8:30.

Additionally, anyone who staffs, and brings a laptop, will be given a free entry to a side event for each event they staff. We will also be giving $10 discounts for bringing buzzers.
Could you update the OP with this (and other relevant logistics information, like perhaps the schedule) so it's easier to find?
Alex D.
ACF