Websites/Places to Find Round Robin Schedules?

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Websites/Places to Find Round Robin Schedules?

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I usually use a cool horshoe pitching site to make my round robin schedules, but for some odd reason after ten teams it jumps to 12, 14, etc. I need an 11-team RR schedule. The link on the Maize pages to the Berkeley site is dead.

Though I need to have this for a tournament today and expect that I might not get help in time, in general does anyone know where to find grids showing RR scheds. for all numbers? For now I'll start the laborious process of gridding it out.

Direct advice will be welcomed in the meantime at cborglum at valenciacc dot edu. Thanks!
--chris
Dan Greenstein
Auron

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Use a 12 team round robin. The twelfth team is BYE.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ReinsteinD wrote:Use a 12 team round robin. The twelfth team is BYE.
The difficulty with this is that you only need five rooms and five moderators. If you only have the minimum number of rooms and moderators you need, then what do you do with all those teams playing in the sixth room? The obvious solution is to just move the game in the sixth room to the room "BYE" is playing in; however, this can result in the same team in the same room for 3 or 4 straight games, something very few teams like (unless the moderator is exceptionally good).
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Rooms are easy to arrange. You just put whatever match you want in whatever room you want. It's that easy.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I used to have a nice DOS program that I got free years ago that would set up schedules fairly easily.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'd like to thank Dan and the others who posted here for their good suggestions. The system at the link Dan posted above worked great, including keeping teams from getting the same room over and over. And actually I had 22 teams (two 11-team round robin brackets followed by an eight-team single-elim playoff). This allowed me to flip teams from bracket to bracket each round, nearly eliminating seeing the same moderators over and over. And the two teams on bye got to play each other in an unofficial round. Again, thanks to all for the ideas.
matt979
Lulu

Post by matt979 »

Repeating Dan Greenstein's link for emphasis:
http://www.collegequizbowl.org/schedules/

Search on "Choose a NAQT-style schedule" or "Choose a packet submission schedule", and use the appropriate select menu. Easy as pie.

Members of the UC-Berkeley quiz team were recently in the process of working on a TD guide when they happened across http://www.collegequizbowl.org/Maize/tdguide.html

This suggests to me that the Maize pages resources linked to in this post aren't nearly as well-publicized as they should be.

In lieu of duplicating the TD Guide, I think Berkeley will announce its "How to make schedules" page to the public soon.
csrjjsmp
Lulu

Post by csrjjsmp »

Paul's guide is already up. It can be found at http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quizbowl/schedules.html