NASAT Mirror at Valencia College: August 18

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

NASAT Mirror at Valencia College: August 18

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia College will host a mirror of NASAT on Saturday, August 18, on our West Campus in the summer hell furnace of Orlando, Florida. We'll plan to start rounds at 10 a.m., so be in Building 9 (the regular place) by 9:30 a.m. For those of you who don't know it as the regular place, here's a map:
http://valenciacollege.edu/map/document ... p_west.pdf. The campus address is 1800 South Kirkman Drive, Orlando, FL, 32810.

I'm going to charge a $60 flat rate per team. That's $20 more than the mirror fee, with the extra $20 per team going to a provided lunch. I'll probably get sandwich platters and chips from Publix, so if you have vegans, vegetarians, and other such unamerican types, please let me know in advance. (I actually have a couple vegans, so we'll likely have some options).

We'll also likely have Sean Platzer's nutty (mostly highfalutin) film side event, which will be five rounds of twenty toss-ups only. Presumably we'd run that around 4-5 pm, after NASAT. And if there's interest from the field, I can look into getting some other side stuff.

Reply here or e-mail me at cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu if you're interested.

Field:
Delaware people
Borglum and Leo (Layin' Down the) Law
Jeff Fisher Convinced Me Mermaids Are Real (Zach Foster, Taylor Harvey, Bradley Kirksey, Mickey Sizemore)
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Scipio
Wakka

Re: NASAT Mirror at Valencia College: August 18

Post by Scipio »

I will be there.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Auburn will be there again this year! We'll also probably be searching 1 or 2 additional teammates, as we'll probably only bring 2-3. Can bring a set of buzzers also. Do you know how many rounds will be played?
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

That's great, Chandler! I'm not sure how many rounds yet, but I can start thinking about it. Obviously how many teams show up will have a large part to play, but I reckon 9-11 rounds will be right. I'm starting to think that maybe we'll do a Friday night for some side stuff, as you and a lot of the folks will have to be here the night before anyway. I'll get on it and let everyone know soonish.
Chris Borglum
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Thanks, Chris! Personally, I'd be interested in playing either of Words and Objects or WORLDSTAR, and can staff anything else if I'm around.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Is there anticipation this field hits a large number (20 or so teams) like last year? I’m also in support of running the side events the night before and having one post-NASAT on Saturday.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Alkres
Lulu

Post by Alkres »

I will be there both Friday night and Saturday as a free agent, so I'm looking for a team that might need a player
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I've heard from more than one Florida person about reading RAPTURE at some point after the main event or otherwise using the questions. Whoever's organizing this, e-mail me before the weekend and I'll send you a .zip of the packets so it can happen!
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Huh. Well, many of those coming to Valencia have expressed interest in every existing side tournament produced this summer, but my lazy tuchus is only putting on three "official" events: Words & Objects Friday night, NASAT Saturday, and local dude Sean Platzer's five rounds of film toss-ups Saturday evening. However, obviously if any of the UF or UCF guys want to get those from you, Vasa, to read somewhere other than Valencia's campus, that would be swell!
Chris Borglum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Will Sean's set be mirrored elsewhere? I don't see any announcement and don't really know who he is, but would be delighted to play the set and give him some money to do so if he wishes.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yeah, thanks for asking and prompting me, Mike. Sean Platzer is a former Valencia player who now is a humanities professor at Valencia; he played in ICTs for Valencia in 2006 and 2007. What I'm saying is that nobody outside of Valencia tournaments knows him.

He wrote the questions for his own entertainment, and I've been editing them down from 12-16 lines. It's an idiosyncratic set, especially as regards distribution, with heavy 1970s-90s art and foreign film mixed with some more trashy stuff. I think the good film players would enjoy it. We'll use this weekend's field to get some ideas about revision and then I'll see about putting it out there.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Field update:

Me, Leo, Peter
Zach, Brad, Taylor, Mickey
Jonathen Settle, Matt, Donny, Jacob
Casey, Cody, and Alan
Asha, James, Darrell, and Stan
Jesse, Aidan, Jake, and Jack
South Florida (Brian and Dale et al.)
Auburn War Tigers
UF Young'ns (Min, Zach, etc.)
Billy and Seth
Delaware People

That's ten. Let's hope it sticks.

I'm hoping to play Words and Objects Friday early--maybe starting at 4 pm. Let me know if that won't work for you. And e-mail me if I don't know who you're pairing up with.
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

You have forgotten a team from the top post.

The team name for "Delaware People" is "Casa di Pellegrini South"

The players are Andrew Goldstein, Mark Pellegrini, Nate Pochomis, and Bill Tressler
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Zoinks! Thanks for reminding me, Bill. And y'all were about the first to register.

Sigh, back to 11 teams.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Congrats to Sethbillies (Billy Beyer, Seth Kendall, and Brian Clouse) for winning this mirror with a 9-0 record. A team of me, Leo Law, Peter Torres, and famous television personality Hannah Sage took second, while Jeff Fisher Convinced Me Mermaids Are Real (Taylor Harvey, Zach Foster, Bradley Kirksey, and Jacob Murphy) took third. Taylor was the top scorer. A fine time was had by all.

On Friday night we mirrored Words & Objects, which was won by Taylor Harvey and Leo Law, while I and my budding Valencia superstar Jesse Gingold got second. Always the bridesmaid.... Thanks to the NASAT writers and editors and to Rahul for letting us mirror. We didn't use SQBS for W&O, but sometime I'll try to go through the scoresheets and put up the stats. Here are the NASAT stats, though.
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ncia_2018/

Oh, around a dozen people played former Valencian Sean Platzer's five rounds of movie questions, with Seth Kendall crushing the field. People were pretty positive about it. So I guess if anyone's looking for 100 pretty good movie toss-ups to run at a tournament this fall, let me know. (I'll announce in the Trash section, I reckon).
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

In case you didn't see it in the Words and Objects main thread, here are the individual stats from our W&O mirror. These only depict the first five rounds; we played the sixth round as a two-room shootout:

Taylor Harvey: 20/45/4 = 146ppg
Chris Borglum: 14/34/7 = 103
Seth Kendall: 9/19/3 = 62
Ian Mackenzie: 5/27/8 = 61
Jesse Gingold: 6/16/1 = 49
Donny (UCF): 2/18/5 = 33
Jonathen Settle: 1/17/8 = 29
James Meier: 0/13/7 = 19
Zach Foster: 3/7/6 = 17
Daniel Golisch: 2/6/2 = 16
Peter Torres: 0/7/1 = 13
Stan Young: 2/3/2 = 10
Alan Kreisel: 0/2/0 = 4
Leo Law: 0/1/0 = 2
Chris Borglum
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Thank you Chris for hosting and everyone who read. It's a real bargain to attend a tournament for only $60 a team, especially one that provides some breakfast items, lots of drinks, and pizza for lunch.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yup, my tournaments totally rule. Others from farther afoot should come down sometime!
Chris Borglum