Oxford Open @ Toronto - Sunday, August 12th, 2018

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Oxford Open @ Toronto - Sunday, August 12th, 2018

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada!

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce a mirror of Oxford Open which will take place on SUNDAY, August 12th, 2018. This is the day after the postponed Mac Vanity tournament which will happen at McMaster. We will most likely be using the Americanized version of this set. This tournament will start at 9:00 AM sharp so please be there by 8:30. The tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street).

Fees and Discounts
Base fee: $30 PER PERSON
Buzzer discount: $10 per working set
Travel discount: $5 if you traveled at least 200 km one way.

Buzzer anti-discount: $10 penalty if you tell me you're bringing a set and then show up with a broken/incomplete one or without one altogether, or a number of sets less than you told me you’d bring.

This tournament will have team formation done via DRAFT conducted by team captains. Register individually and the team numbers will be set when registration closes.

Registration

This mirror is completely open, so anyone can play. High school students are, as always, welcome.

To register, please send an email to uoftquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com telling me any discounts you'd like to claim. If you have me on Facebook or something you can just message me there too.

As always, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Cheques should be made out to "University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club". I would really encourage you to etransfer me as it saves a ton of time the morning of.

Currently no field cap, that will probably change once we get some registrations/staffer numbers.

Field
Raymond Chen
Paul Kasinski
Erik Christensen
Simone Valade
Rein Otsason
Aayush Rajasekaran
Isaac Thiessen
Aaron Dos Remedios
Ian Dewan
Adam Swift
Gareth Thorlakson
Leslie Newcombe
Peter Cordeiro
Luka Obrovac
Zhenglin Liu

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. please post them here. See you all in August!
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Oxford Open @ Toronto - Sunday, August 12th, 2018

Post by Calculus? »

Hi everyone, here's your logistics info for this Sunday:

This tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street), the building where we host most of our tournaments. As a reminder, generally on Sundays all the doors to the building will be locked EXCEPT the northeast set, so you'll likely need to go in that way. The control room will be room 2112.

If you are coming by TTC, please note that there is a Line 1 closure between Lawrence and St. Clair stations this weekend. Please also note that the subway opens at 8:00 AM on Sundays so please plan accordingly.

As you may already know, we have a bit of a time constraint problem for this tournament. There is a chance that maintenance may come kick us out of the rooms before the tournament is over. I'm hoping this won't happen, but if it does, finding another location to play shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just be aware that this is a possibility. As a result of this, we will be starting AT 9:00 SHARP. BE HERE AT 8:30. Lunch will be a strict half hour. There are a number of places nearby where you can grab food quickly (no food trucks on Sunday unfortunately), and I'll do a pizza order for staffers. If you're late from lunch we're going to start without you. If you're late from lunch (esp. if you are staffing) due to going to a sit-down restaurant or some other preventable reason, I will be extremely unhappy.

We will be doing a triple round robin with advantaged finals if necessary. Drafts will have been completed before the tournament, please speak to Paul if you have any questions about that. Whether we play the British or American set will depend on what Oxford has ready for us, I'll update that as soon as I can.

Please let me know if I've left out any information or you have any additional questions.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023