AVERY

Old college threads.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

AVERY

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Disclaimer: the following post and tournament are not meant as advocacy for nonpyramidal tournaments or formats. I'm fairly certain we're all agreed that they are bad.
Another low- effort guerrilla tournament is coming to town! For AVERY (A VERY bad tournament idea), you (and your friends) can submit a packet in the style of any and all of the awful state and local formats you grew up with. I'll collect them and probably read them on discord or something (or in person if anyone wants that). Submissions should be sent to [email protected] by October 1.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: AVERY

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

FORTY POINT SNAPSTART TO ROUND ONE
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:FORTY POINT SNAPSTART TO ROUND ONE
I said state, not provincial formats
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

One of the formats I played in high school used worksheets. How would one work on discord?
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Further clarifications: The intended difficulty of packets should be marked (collegiate regular difficulty is preferred if you think you can write regular difficulty in a state format, HS regular or so preferred otherwise if conceptions of difficulty are even relevant to your submission), as should any special instructions as to who is allowed to answer and when or special rules as to how to read a segment that people may not be familiar with (basically anything that's not a lightning round, tossup, or bonus). Worksheet rounds should be enclosed separately as google docs so that teams on discord can work collaboratively on them.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Marcion of Sinope
Lulu

Post by Marcion of Sinope »

If I have the time, I may write a short packet of questions with descriptive answerlines where the player must provide exactly the answer printed in the packet, in honor of the time in high school I negged because I answered Joseph's "coat of many colors" when the packet said Joseph's "coat with many colors."
Mitch Baron
Yale University '22
New York University '20
Illinois Valley Central High School '16