2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19) [REGISTRATION CLOSED]

Old college threads.
wcheng
Wakka

2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19) [REGISTRATION CLOSED]

Post by wcheng »

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the online open Discord mirror of 2019 Terrapin in a month on Saturday, February 23rd, 2019.

We are going to have an initial soft cap of 10 teams that is subject to change depending on interest in playing this tournament.

Schedule

The tournament will begin at 10 AM EST (= 9 AM CST = 7 AM PST). I will be sending links to a private Discord server for the tournament beforehand.

Eligibility

This is an open tournament; anyone is eligible to play including college graduates, high schoolers, and middle schoolers. That being said, you will lose eligibility for all subsequent in-person mirrors. Please check our main announcement thread or high school announcement thread to see what tournaments will be using our set. I want to specifically point out that IHSSBCA NASAT tryouts and Texas Invitational are using our set, in case you are planning to attend either of those events!

Fees

Base Fee: $80
$10 discount if a member of your team agrees to fill out an after-tournament survey, or otherwise agrees to provide constructive criticism

You may pay for the tournament by either paying me on Venmo (Weijia-Cheng) or mailing a check made out to "Maryland Academic Quiz Team" to Alex Echikson, MAQT's treasurer. (The address will be provided after registration.)

Staff

If you are interested in staffing, please send me an email at [email protected]. I would be happy to compensate you for your time!

Registration

To register for the tournament, send me an email at [email protected] with the names of the players on your team, and whether you would be interested in receiving a $10 discount by filling out a post-tournament survey/otherwise leaving constructive criticism.

To facilitate team formation, I have created a matchmaking spreadsheet. Once you have formed a team, send me an email to confirm registration.

Field (10/10)

Bentley et al.
McGill
"goons" (Nguyen et al.)
Borglum and Gingold
Kodama et al.
Diary of a Wimpy Madman (N. Chen et al.)
Chauhan et al.
"Can the Subadditive Speak?" by Gayatri and Michael Spivak (Wallace et al.)
Berus-Lie Memorial Academy for Gifted Thinksporters (Berns et al.)
G. Chen et al.
Last edited by wcheng on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:03 am, edited 16 times in total.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
wcheng
Wakka

Re: 2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19)

Post by wcheng »

Just a reminder that any team that wants to play has to email me to officially register. So far, I have yet to receive any registration emails.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

I see a lot of teams forming in the spreadsheet but I haven't gotten many registration emails yet. Just a reminder that I need an email to have your registration be official, and that this is first come, first serve.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Hey, we currently have 5 teams in the field with 5 spots remaining. This is a reminder that registration is first-come first-serve based off of when you send me an email. I would like to have all teams registered by 2/20, in the interests of having some time to properly set up the Discord server in advance. I look forward to showing you guys what we've been working on over these last few months!
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I just now realized this was happening, so I'm a free agent if somebody wants me.

EDIT: Joining the Ryan/Coates/PC team.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
wcheng
Wakka

Re: 2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19) [REGISTRATION CLOSING 2/20]

Post by wcheng »

The tournament is up to 7 teams and I would like to have either 8 or 10 teams in the final field in order to provide smooth scheduling for all teams. I am closing registration at 10 PM PST on 2/20, and registration will work on a first-come, first-serve basis as previously stated. The next team to register by sending me an email will be guaranteed a spot. The next team after that (which would be the 9th team in the field) will be put in a 1-team waitlist until another team registers. In other words, this tournament will not take a 9th team without a 10th team.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
wcheng
Wakka

Re: 2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19) [REGISTRATION CLOSING 2/20]

Post by wcheng »

A 9th team just registered for the tournament. There's one more spot left and I (and I'm sure most of your competitors) would prefer to have a 10-team field so that the tournament can proceed without byes. Registration is first-come, first-serve, so please get your email in ASAP!

We have 10 teams registered and as such, the field is closed. Looking forward to having all of you play our set this Saturday!
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: 2019 Terrapin Open Discord mirror (2/23/19) [REGISTRATION CLOSED]

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hey, super last minute, but my schedule shifted literally this morning. If there's space for me on anyone's team, I'd be happy to join.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Hi everyone, final stats have been posted. Bentley et al. won in an exciting one-game final against "goons" (Nguyen et al.). I'll be reaching out to teams over this evening and tomorrow to resolve all outstanding payments and send out the survey forum. Thank you so much for playing! Your feedback has been very helpful and will be taken into consideration as we move into the first phase of in-person mirrors.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

This was an extremely well run tournament. Thanks to all the staffers and writers for an enjoyable time. I think this had the best online tournament logistics of any I have played.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Echoing Joe's sentiment---this was a very fun tournament on a very strong set.
Matt
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah this set was great, you should all play it.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

I want to add on to the praise given to the tournament. This was the first time I ever played on a Discord tournament, and while there were some hiccups with microphones (You can only control that to an extent), everything through the day was good. This set is easily one of the best sets I've personally played and Matt Mitchell pointed out that the errors or bad ideas were very minor. I hope people play this set because the difficulty is tuned as best it can be, and this is a set where nobody is going to feel like they are just being dragged along. Well done to the UMD folks!
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Durkheimdall
Lulu

Post by Durkheimdall »

Thanks again to all the writers, editors, readers, staffers, etc! I really enjoyed playing this tournament yesterday and wouldn't have been able to do so were it not mirrored online as an Open. :party:
Max Wallace
Centennial HS (MD) '09, Indiana, Maryland '14
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

We're going to be reading some of the remaining packets in Discord tonight, starting around 7:00 pm EST. Message me or Ophir if you need more details.
Graham R.

Maryland
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

a bird wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:30 pm We're going to be reading some of the remaining packets in Discord tonight, starting around 7:00 pm EST. Message me or Ophir if you need more details.
Are you just reading them on the same server?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008