Michigan Winter Tournament @ Iowa (2/29/2020)

Old college threads.
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Michigan Winter Tournament @ Iowa (2/29/2020)

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Hey all! On behalf of the University of Iowa Quiz Bowl team, I am pleased to announce that the North site of this year's Michigan Winter Tournament will be held at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa on Saturday, February 29th, 2020. The details about the tournament can be found here. This will be a tournament so amazing that it only happens every four years!

Logistics (Location, Times, etc.)

We will begin checking in teams at 8:00 A.M. and then continue until 8:40 A.M. We will have a moderator meeting at 8:40 A.M. and then a team meeting at 8:45 A.M. Games will begin at 9:00 A.M. An email regarding the location of this on campus, the best parking spots, lunch recommendations, and any and all other information during the week leading up to the tournament. We will try to send out schedules electronically before the tournament, and will distribute paper copies for the team meeting. We will briefly go over the rules during the team meeting in the morning and will have a slideshow displaying these rules and more info too.

Registration

To register, please email me, Ganon Evans, at [email protected] with the tagline "Iowa Michigan Winter" to register. Please include how many teams you would like to bring as well as any staffers and buzzers you have as well as if you qualify for the travel discount. I try to check my email everyday, so if I do not respond within a day or two, please send another or call/text 636-443-9934.

Fees and Discounts

The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee per team: $120
Each Additional Team from a School: -$5
Buzzer discount (having at least 8 working buzzers), maximum of 1 buzzer set per school: -$10
Reader (with usable laptop) discount: -$20
Travel discount: -$20 per 200 miles, one-way (via Google Maps)
Minimum fee per team: $65

You can pay us in cash or with a check filled to "University of Iowa Quiz Bowl." If you plan on mailing the check, this is totally fine, but I would greatly appreciate just emailing me and letting me know you're doing so!

Eligibility

This will be a closed collegiate tournament, meaning that teams will be made of players all from the university. High schoolers are more than welcome to play as a school in this tournament, but no chimera teams will be allowed entry on either the collegiate or high school level.
Last edited by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! on Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Re: Michigan Winter Tournament @ Iowa (2/29/2020)

Field [8/12] (As of February 26th)
Minnesota (3)
Bradley (1)
Grinnell (2)
DePaul (1)
Iowa (1)
Last edited by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! on Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

I'm really looking forward to the field here! Make sure if you're interested, you register here soon!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Going to go ahead and cap the field at 8 teams. Sending out information tonight and tomorrow!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

What? Did someone say live stats? Oh yeah, here they are!

https://stats.neg5.org/t/fSY52laGk/mich ... -standings
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Congratulations to Minnesota Cow for clearing the field yesterday! I want to thank everyone for coming out and playing, and specifically thank Susan Ferrari, Tony Cosimini, Carson Melinder, and Andy Swiston for being an amazing staff that ensured that the tournament got done an appropriate time. I'm personally incredibly happy with the turnout of yesterday, and I'm glad that everyone I talked to had a great time as well.

An important note is that considering the terrible news received Friday night, we decided to rename this tournament the Trader Joe's Memorial Tournament. Considering the good play, laughs, and all around quizbowling, in the great supermarket in heaven, Trader Joe is smiling down on us.

The full stats are posted here!

https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6411/
Ganon Evans