2020 Terrapin Open at Stanford (3/14)

Old college threads.
mmarkley
Kimahri

2020 Terrapin Open at Stanford (3/14)

Post by mmarkley »

Stanford will be hosting a mirror of Terrapin Open on March 14, 2020 (yay pi day)!

The difficulty of Terrapin Open is halfway between ACF Regionals and ACF Nationals, so a 3.5 on the Ophir scale. You may read more about the set here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23078.

This is an open tournament, so anyone is welcome to play! You can indicate interest, either as a team or a free agent, on this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

To register, please email me (Mary Markley) at [email protected] with the following information:
- If you are a school, the number of teams you will be bringing.
- If you are an open team, your team name (does not have to be finalized) and at least two of the players who will be on the team.
- The number of functioning buzzer systems (must be usable by at least 8 people at once) that you plan to bring.
- The names of any staffers you plan to provide.
- A contact email and phone number for communications.

Note that filling out the spreadsheet does NOT count as registration. Please register by Saturday, March 7, 2020.

The price structure is as follows:
Base fee: $130 ($50 minimum)
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer system
Distance discount: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way
Approved moderator discount: -$15

We'll be running the tournament in Old Union (specific start time TBD).
Please reach out to me with any questions at [email protected].

We're looking forward to the tournament!
Burlington High School (VT) '18
Stanford University '22
mmarkley
Kimahri

Re: 2020 Terrapin Open at Stanford (3/14)

Post by mmarkley »

Note: when I originally posted this, the spreadsheet didn't work. I fixed it shortly after, but if you tried to access it during that time and couldn't, you should be able to now. Again, don't hesitate to email me ([email protected]) with questions.
Stanford University '22
mmarkley
Kimahri

Post by mmarkley »

!!!COVID-19 UPDATE!!!

As many of you know, Stanford has taken extremely drastic steps to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak, including canceling all classes for the remainder of the quarter, canceling exams, canceling university-sponsored travel, canceling events, canceling gatherings of 150+ people, canceling office hours and in-person meetings, and so on. Additionally, as a result of these restrictions, many students have already left campus or are about to leave campus, which may limit participation in TO.

This currently DOES NOT affect our ability to host Terrapin Open. As of now, the tournament will proceed as planned. However, everything is liable to change very quickly. I will update those registered with any new information when I receive it. Of course, anyone is welcome to opt out.

Please contact me ([email protected]) with any questions. I know everything is very uncertain right now and I apologize for how up in the air everything is.

Thank you all so much for your continued flexibility and understanding. Stay safe!
Stanford University '22
mmarkley
Kimahri

Post by mmarkley »

I'm very sorry, but I've made the decision to cancel TO for this Saturday. 

Unfortunately, Stanford has decided to move to online classes for the spring as well as the rest of the winter, and they're kicking undergrads out now. Since this is a really stressful time for everyone, I think canceling TO is a step we need to take at this point. Many people have already expressed that they won't be able to come, and in this incredibly chaotic situation, it is likely that more would be unable to come. In any case, I'm really sorry--I know you all had looked forward to playing the set. I will look into the possibility of an online option.

Thanks so much for bearing with me through the updates. Please keep yourselves and others safe.
Stanford University '22
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

To the teams and players who would still like to play Terrapin Open, I've set up a date poll to hold an online mirror that you can vote on here.
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20