RC Cola Trash Tournament at UTC (4/23/06)

Old college threads.
Kilby
Lulu

RC Cola Trash Tournament at UTC (4/23/06)

Post by Kilby »

UTC will be running the 7th annual RC Cola trash tournament on Sunday, April 23, 2006. We are looking for both mirror sites and freelance writers. If you are interested in doing either, please send an e-mail to rccola2006 <at> gmail <dot> com.

If you are interested in being a mirror site, swapping packets, or being a freelance writer for the Moon Pie academic tournament being held the day before RC Cola, see the appropriate thread in the Announcements/Results forum for details.
Last edited by Kilby on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LexZen
Kimahri

Post by LexZen »

cool :)
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

My apologies for the delayed announcement. I was attempting to secure enough questions to remove the packet submission requirement, but that arrangement fell through. Anyways...

The UTC Academic Trivia Association will host its seventh (originally announced as sixth, but a quick check reveals it is indeed the seventh) annual RC Cola Classic, a one-day open trash tournament on Sunday, April 23, 2006. That's the day after the Moon Pie (TM) Classic collegiate academic tournament (see the appropriate message for more information on that event).

There are some notable changes for this year's edition, so veteran teams should make sure to note the DIVISIONS, REGISTRATION, and PACKETS sections of this announcement. These changes are being made to attract new, younger teams to play.

TIME & PLACE:
To help those with long drives home, we will start earlier on Sunday 4/23: registration at 8:30 AM, announcements at 8:55 AM, and play beginning at 9 AM. Based on past experience, we hope to be at least into the playoffs by 6 PM. Tournament headquarters will officially be Grote 129 on the UTC campus, unless we have a modest-sized field, in which case look for us in Holt 124.

ELIGIBILITY:
This tournament is open to all interested parties. Teams do not have to have any academic affiliation. If you want to make yourself available as a free agent to join a team - or if you have a partial team but need free agent help - let me know and I'll pass the word.

DIVISIONS:
Assuming we have a large turnout, we plan on running two divisions: one for us grizzled veteran players and one for less-experienced players. Divisions will be determined based on previous experience with trash tournaments. All decisions regarding division status are at the discretion of the tournament director.

FORMAT:
20 questions per round, untimed. Packet submission required unless arranged in advance, with exceptions for less experienced teams (see guidelines and timetables below.) Teams will be four players each, with alternates OK as long as there are no substitutions in mid-match. Depending on the number of teams, the format will be round robin or bracketed round robin.

If you plan on coming, please send an e-mail to rccola2006 [at] gmail [dot] com. At first, all I need to know is the number of teams that you are bringing. As soon as possible, I will also need the following:
- a packet for each team (unless arranged otherwise)
- your trashy team name(s)
- a list of people on each team with a short description of each member's experience with trash (estimated number of tournaments, years played, or recent tournament performance will suffice)

FEES:
Base fee $80 per team; assumes full packet (24/24, see below for specs) is submitted by the end of the day, Monday, April, 10. Less experienced teams: see notes below for exceptions.

Discounts:
- $20 for a full packet submitted by the end of the day, Friday, March 31
- $10 for an experienced reader for the RC Cola Classic itself (*or* said reader can join us for dinner at Provino's Sat. night after the Moon Pie if they'd prefer)
- $5 for a working buzzer
- $5 for full-time official status at the Moon Pie Classic Saturday 4/23 if you ate with us at Provino's Saturday night; $15 if you didn't.

Any team attending both Moon Pie and RC Cola will also get free copies of the RC Cola packets -- after the tournament, obviously.

Penalties:
+ $20 for packet submitted after April 10 but before the end of the day, Sunday, April 16
+ $30 for no packet at all (must be arranged in advance; open to a limited number of teams)*

Minimum fee (even with multiple discounts) $50 per team.

*If your team consists entirely of players who have never played trash before, your team will only be charged the minimum fee and not required to write a packet (though attempting to write an entire or part of one is highly recommended).
*If your team has very little combined experience, we will consider on a case-by-case basis accepting a half packet of 12/12; contact the tournament director to request clearance if you wish to use this option.

PACKET SPECIFICATIONS:
See the end of the announcement. Note that there are differences from past UTC trash tournaments.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta and points south -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 west towards downtown, then follow the freeway splitoff for U.S. 27 North, downtown Chattanooga. From 27 North take the 4th Street exit, within sight of the Tennessee Aquarium. Go right on 4th St. (you have no choice) and follow it for ca. 1 mile. Go past the UTC Arena, after which E. 4th St. becomes part of E. 3rd St. After that, take the second right on Palmetto St. Go two blocks and turn right on Vine St. (just past the EMCS Building.) Just before the place where Vine St. is blocked off, the parking lot for Grote and Holt Halls is on the right. Enter Grote by the door next to the dumpster.

From Knoxville and points north -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 West; directions from there same as above.

From Nashville and points west/north: Take I-24 east to Chattanooga. As you round Moccasin Bend (freeway goes alongside river) watch for two exit lanes on the right; take the less rightward of the two, which will have signs above it for U.S. 27 N. Rest of directions are the same as above.

From Birmingham and points southwest: Take I-59 to the outskirts of Chattanooga, where it dead-ends into I-24. Get on I-24 East and follow the Nashville directions from there.

WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE:
As not per usual, your tournament editor is John Kilby. If you have any question regarding packets, please contact him via e-mail at rccola2006 [at] gmail [dot] com. But as per usual, your tournament director is Charlie Steinhice. If you have any questions for him, he can be reached by e-mail at steinhic [at] bellsouth [dot] net or by snail mail at 1185 Mountain Creek Rd. #1801, Chattanooga, TN 37405.

---

PACKETS:
In an attempt to encourage new, younger teams to participate, the packet requirements will be slightly different from the usual guidelines.

The best way to explain the difficulty is a trashy, easier version of ACF Fall. The toss-ups should be pyramidal, starting with at least one challenging clue and by the final giveaway be answerable by at least one person on every team. All bonus questions should be worth a total of 30 points. Use three-part, ten points per answer bonuses as often as possible. Try to avoid other question types such as 40-30-20-10-1's or 30-20-10-5-1's and 15-10-5's. For any bonus, regardless of topic, almost every team should be able to get 10 points, most teams should be able to get 20 points, and only the best teams should be able to get 30 points.

Each packet should contain 24 toss-ups and 24 bonuses. They should be distributed as follows:

Major Categories - 3/3 each from:
- movies
- TV
- sports
- music

For each major category, the questions should approximately cover the following time periods:
- 1/1 from this decade
- 1/1 from 1980-2000
- 1/1 from before 1980.

We know some questions will span across time periods, but please aim for these guidelines where applicable. Also, please mix-up genres (don't write three football questions, don't write three country music questions, etc.).

Minor Categories - 12/12 total, 2/2 (maximum) from any category including:
- popular literature
- comics
- computers and Internet
- computer or video games
- non-electronic games
- gadgets/inventions/appliances
- consumer brands and products
- food & drink
- Americana
- periodicals (features, columnists, etc.)
- current events
- amusement parks and rides
- game/activity (game show style bonuses, etc.)
- any other category not listed here

For the 12 questions that are taken from the minor categories, they should approximately cover the following time periods:
- 4/4 from this decade
- 4/4 from 1980-2000
- 4/4 before 1980

Again, some questions will span across time periods, but please aim for these guidelines where applicable. Note that if you write more than 1/1 from a certain minor category, it is more likely that one of those questions will be edited out.

Please do not number your questions; leave them grouped by category.

Please send your questions to me as a Word document. It's not required, but if you want to make my life easier, use 1/2 inch
page margins, 10-pt Times New Roman font, and format your questions like this:

This is a toss-up question. FTP, what is the answer?
ANS: answer (preceded by a tab, required part bolded)

This is the bonus lead-in that mentions the point scale, such as FTPE or FTSNP.
A. This is the first part (two spaces follow the letter).
ANS: answer 1 (preceded by a tab, required part bolded)
B. This is the second part (two spaces follow the letter).
ANS: answer 2 (preceded by a tab, required part bolded)
C. This is the third part (two spaces follow the letter).
ANS: answer 3 (preceded by a tab, required part bolded)

If you need any help with your packet, please feel free to contact me (rccola2006 [at] gmail [dot] com).
Kilby
Lulu

RC Update

Post by Kilby »

Here's a update for the RC Cola Trash tournament to be held at UTC on Sunday, April 23, 2006. Assuming we break into two divisions based on experience as intended, the field currently stands as follows. Next to each team is the status of their packet.

"Grizzled" Division:
Berry alums [Full Packet Expected]
GPC A (Go, Pick-a-task-and-see-it-through-to Completion) [Full Packet Expected]
UGA [Full Packet Expected]
UTC [Full Packet Expected]

"Young Buck" Division:
GPC B (Georgia Perimeter Cursed (The Stephen Webb Show)) [Full Packet Expected]
Mississippi State [Exempt From Packet]
NC State A [Awaiting Full Experience Report]
Shorter [Full Packet Expected]
Tulane A [Full Packet Expected]
Tulane B [Full Packet Received]
Virginia Tech A [Awaiting Full Experience Report]
Virginia Tech B [Awaiting Full Experience Report]

Interested But Unconfirmed:
Matthew Glover et al. [Partial Packet Expected]
NC State B [Awaiting Full Experience Report]

If any of this information is wrong, please e-mail me (rccola2006 [at] gmail [dot] com).

The next packet deadline (the no-penalty deadline) is the end of the day, April 10, 2006. I will be out of town Wednesday night (tonight) until Sunday night for the NAQT ICT, so don't fret if I am unable to answer your e-mails.

For those attending, be sure to send me your creative or trashy team name as soon as you decide on one (c'mon, you really don't want to play as "My School A" on the schedule, do you?).

There is still plenty of time to register if you plan on submitting a full packet, but if you are planning on attending without submitting a full packet because you're exempt from doing so or you just don't want to write a packet, you need to e-mail me ASAP to guarantee a spot.
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

Congrautions to The Story of O RLY? (Michael Kearney, Chris Hendry, Al Przygocki, and Meghan Clancy) and Springfield Heights Institute of Technology (Bryan, Adam, Patrick, Brandon, and Tom of Virginia Tech) for winning their respective divisions at the 2006 RC Cola Trash Tournament.

Thanks to all the people who helped make this tournament happen (including those not listed who have slipped my mind). Thanks to the University of Maryland team, the Boston U. team, Jason V. Zuffranieri, Trevor Schultz, Shawn Pickrell, and Craig Barker for their assistance with the question sets. Thanks to DePauw for swapping packets with their Duck Bowl tournament. Thanks to house readers Eileen Steinhice and Ruth Jackson, as well as Nikki Poarch for handling stats, reading, and whatever else was needed. Thanks to Chris Hendry for providing an entertaing music round. And of course, thanks to Charlie Steinhice for handling all the logistics of the event.

Detailed results can be found at http://oneweb.utc.edu/~John-Kilby/rc/rc2006.htm until the team gets a web site up.

Thanks to everyone who came. We hope to see everyone for the 2007 RC Cola Trash Tournament if not sooner!
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

I'd like to congratulate Kilby on what I thought was a very good set. I think he met his express purpose, making a tournament with questions that were much more accessible to college-age teams. While I didn't necessarily benefit that much (which my paltry stats show), I enjoyed being able to at least recognize the vast majority of things being asked, unlike trash tounaments in the past where I went through half the questions thinking "who? what?" Anyway, I think it was a great first step and look forward to more Kilby-edited tournaments in the future.