Announcement: AWET I - March 25th

Old college threads.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Announcement: AWET I - March 25th

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Alright; I haven't gotten final confirmation from Jerry on this, but I'm going to go ahead and announce this so people can begin working on their packets. If I find out there are any changes that require a change in the tournament setup, I will post them ASAP.

UNC's Carolina Academic Team is proud to announce the creation of AWET I: A Well-Edited Tournament, to be held in Chapel Hill, North Carolina on Saturday, March 25th. This will be a mirror/packet-swap with Brown's UTT and USC's Aztlan Cup. Packet submission is optional, but sizable discounts are given for submitting acceptable material. We'll be using Brown's distribution, which runs as follows:

Total 24/24
4/4 Science
4/4 History
4/4 Literature
3/3 Religion/Mythology/Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
2/2 Social Science
2/2 Current Events/Pop Culture/Sports
1/1 Miscellaneous

Half packets should consist of 12/12: 2/2 Science, 2/2 History, 2/2 Literature, 2/1 or 1/2 RMP, 1/2 or 2/1 Fine Arts, 1/1 Geography or Social Science, 1/1 Current Events/Pop Culture/Sports and 1/1 Miscellaneous.

Difficulty is to be approximately the level of tournaments such as J'Accuse or ACF Regionals. For complete distribution requirements, please refer to http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2187 and note particularly the sections on formatting and distribution within categories.

Fees:

1st team base fee: $80
Additional teams: $70
Half-packet submitted by March 4th: -$15
Full packet submitted by March 4th: -$25
Buzzers: -$5 (limit three)
Experienced moderators: -$10 (no limit)

Minimum fee per team: $50

Details on exact location, scheduling and other items will be announced in the near future. If your team is reasonably interested in attending, please let me know immediately so I can make sure there is sufficient interest.

Please send any additional questions (and, eventually, packets) to [email protected]. Thank you, and have a good day.

-Brice Russ
President, Carolina Academic Team
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I apologize for the lateness in responding to Brice's email; I am hereby confirming that we are indeed going to be doing a packet swap with UNC. Sorry for any confusion.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

grapesmoker wrote:I apologize for the lateness in responding to Brice's email; I am hereby confirming that we are indeed going to be doing a packet swap with UNC. Sorry for any confusion.
Considering the time it took for me to get everything together on our end, no apology is needed at all.

Also, I forgot: the no-fee registration deadline for now is March 9th, though I may move that back as demand wills me to. The registration fee for between March 10th and 20th is $10, though that may change (but if it goes up, it won't do so by any great amount).
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

In case anybody's waiting to make sure this gets off the ground before emailing me, so far I have received definite or tentative interest from the following teams:

South Carolina (x2?)
VCU
Wake Forest
Maryland
Virginia Tech (x2?)

Considering I haven't heard back from a couple of likely suspects yet (UVA and NC State, among others), it looks like we're going to have a fairly substantial field for this tournament. More information to be posted and emailed out as I receive/finalize it.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

I need one more team to participate in AWET this Saturday to keep us at an odd 11. If I get a firm committment from a team to play by 11:59 PM today, I'll allow you to enter for the minimum fee of $50. This applies to interested local and/or previously-Duke-bound high schools, masters teams, and schools who are already bringing one or more teams to UNC.

Again, email me at [email protected].

If anybody's interested, by the way, here's the almost-final field:

Maryland A
Maryland B
VCU
Wake Forest
Virginia A
Virginia B
Eric Douglass
South Carolina
Virginia Tech A
Virginia Tech B
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Duke will be the 11th team for AWET.
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

So Duke decided not to run a tournament for a bunch of high schoolers who had planned far in advance, but instead to go to play in one?
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

NRScout98 wrote:So Duke decided not to run a tournament for a bunch of high schoolers who had planned far in advance, but instead to go to play in one?
Yeah, we'd planned to go to the Duke tournament. That is indeed lame.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Matt Weiner went 10-0 and captured the individual scoring award, neg prize, and overall championship for AWET I. Virginia A and Maryland A took 2nd and 3rd and Eric Douglass (solo) and Leo Wolpert (UVA A) took the same places in scoring.

More stats and a really long list of thanks and acknowledgments to come later tonight or tomorrow.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

DrakeRQB wrote:
NRScout98 wrote:So Duke decided not to run a tournament for a bunch of high schoolers who had planned far in advance, but instead to go to play in one?
To be fair, the kids who competed this weekend were freshmen and they were not responsible for the lack of activity for the Duke tournament. They know that this weekend they may have to take some lumps, but this group of kids are not the main target of my consternation over what happened with the tournament this weekend.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
DrakeRQB wrote:
To be fair, the kids who competed this weekend were freshmen and they were not responsible for the lack of activity for the Duke tournament. They know that this weekend they may have to take some lumps, but this group of kids are not the main target of my consternation over what happened with the tournament this weekend.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Finally, the AWET wrapup. My apologies for the delays.

Complete stats are available at http://www.unc.edu/~rbruss/AWET/AWET_standings.html .

I'd like to thank a host of people, including Chris Frankel, Chicago and anybody else who submitted a freelance packet that I'm overlooking; Dr. Emil Chuck, Laura King, Michael Buchanan and Dalan Loudermilk for helping fill some emergency staff spots; Eric Douglass for last-minute packet heroics; and last, but certainly not least, our co-hosts and chief editors: Charles Meigs, Ray Luo, Dwight Wynne and Jerry Vinokurov. Without these people AWET would never have come remotely close to getting off the ground.

These packets have been cleared, so feel free to start question discussion here or on one of the other threads. (Of course, the same goes for discussion of the tournament in general.) Thanks again to everyone who came, and I look forward to seeing some of y'all back next year.

-Brice