ACF nationals field update

Old college threads.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

ACF nationals field update

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

With nationals just over a month away, I thought I'd post an update on the field. The following teams have actually registered (i.e., they've told me they will be coming to the tournament):

Brandeis
Chicago A
Chicago B
CMU
"Floridians" (a team of people from various Florida schools, not eligible for the title)
Michigan
Princeton
Texas
Texas A&M
UIC

I'm close to 100% sure that there will be more teams than this at the tournament (e.g. Brown, Illinois, VCU) but they haven't been in touch. So: If you're interested in playing, why not drop me an email? Also, I'd love to hear from you if you want to tell me a) whether you're writing a packet, and if so b) when I might expect to receive said packet, and in any event c) whether you're bringing buzzer sets and/or staff people.

Andrew
your mom
Lulu

ACF Nationals

Post by your mom »

After exchanging e-mails with Andrew, and since I've been made the "point man" for the host school, I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to respond to some of the complaints/concerns that I have been hearing about the location for ACF Nationals and the problems of traveling here that teams seem to be concerned about. I just wanted to bring up a couple things:

Ann Arbor can admittedly be a slight pain at times to fly into, because it is so dominated by Northwest Airlines, which can drive fares up a little, but if you watch the prices for awhile and explore other airlines like perhaps American, it isn't tough to find good deals. I do it all the time. How about websites like orbitz, priceline, and expedia? Those all work well too. Give it a little effort, and any team should be able to find a fair price and book an easy trip. Also remember that April 1st weekend is in the heart of spring break/easter/holiday time and thus the traveling is bound to be more hectic and expensive, but still it shouldn't be too bad. If you haven't bought tickets yet, you might want to do so quite soon because you're starting to be a little late.

DTW Airport has shuttle services and other transport that can get you to Ann Arbor and they aren't that expensive, especially when divided among a couple people. Maybe teams can pool rides from the airport and to the tournament to make things easier. In some cases, we might even be able and willing to help you out. If anyone wants to e-mail me with their travel info, I'd be happy to try to connect you with other teams coming and going at the same time so that you can ride together. I want everyone who wants to be at this tournament to be able to be there, and I'll do whatever I can to help people out. Perhaps some of what I'm hearing on the forum is just aimless complaining, but if people have legitimate concerns, let me know and I'll offer any insight I have.

I think Ann Arbor is a fine location for nationals, it's accessible to a great many of the active and competitive teams, we've got a good building for the tournament, and the campus is enjoyable for hanging out/eating/drinking/whatever. I hate to hear people being so hard on Michigan. It'll be a good tournament here and a good time, I swear.

I'll certainly be sending out info regarding directions, locations, possible places to stay/anything else people want, but anyone can email me anytime with questions at [email protected]. There's also a lot of info on our outdated yet still effective webpage: Please check out http://www.umich.edu/%7Euac/mac/faq/part2.html

The tournament will be in the same building as MLK was, for the record.

Later,
David
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'll add that Airtran flies to Detroit. I got a pretty good deal with them, and maybe other people in cities served by them should look into it. In my experience discount airlines are no less comfortable and if anything more reliable than legacy carriers.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Since teams have been registering for ACF nationals right and left, I thought I'd post an updated roster. All but one of the following teams have told me that they will be at the tournament:

Athens State A
Athens State B
Brandeis
Brown
Chicago A
Chicago B
CMU
"Floridians" (Billy Beyer/Matt Lafer, who are not eligible for the title)
Harvard
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Princeton
Rutgers
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
UIC
VCU
Williams

As you can see, this is shaping up to be an interesting and diverse field, and there's still time to be part of it. Again, email me if you want to play or if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Andrew
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

according to airfarewatchdog.com , one of the better sites out there for airfare deals, flights from florida airports to detroit are like 80-90 each way right now, so that may be something to keep in mind if you are down there and have interest. If you need air advice to help you fit nats into your budget, I am at your service, just contact me. danpass at brandeis dot edu
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

With the no-penalty deadline come and gone for ACF nationals, I wanted to post yet another update of the field. It's now as follows:

Athens State A
Athens State B
Brandeis
Brown
Chicago A
Chicago B
CMU
Harvard
Illinois
Maryland
Michigan
The New School
Princeton
Rutgers
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
UIC
VCU
Virginia
Williams

If you're on this list, I'm expecting you to be at the tournament. If you aren't on this list, I won't be expecting you.

Andrew
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

Rothlover wrote:according to airfarewatchdog.com , one of the better sites out there for airfare deals, flights from florida airports to detroit are like 80-90 each way right now, so that may be something to keep in mind if you are down there and have interest. If you need air advice to help you fit nats into your budget, I am at your service, just contact me. danpass at brandeis dot edu
right now fares are cheap....but as you change the date closer to spring break the fares from detroit back to miami, orlando etc. become absurd.
I like to eat peanut butter
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

It's hard to believe, but ACF nationals is less than two weeks away. The field currently stands at 20 teams, those being:

Athens State A
Athens State B
Brandeis
Brown
Chicago A
Chicago B
CMU
Illinois
Maryland
Michigan
Princeton
Rutgers
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
UIC
VCU
Virginia
Williams

Again, if you are on this list but are no longer planning on coming to the tournament please let me know immediately. Also, if you still want to attend but haven't contacted me yet please do so as soon as possible. There is still room in the field, and you don't have to write questions to play.

If you are registered, I'll be sending an email to fill you in on details (like when the tournament will start) in the near future.

Andrew