Quizbowl Comeback Thoughts (ESCO, UCLA Mirror)

Old college threads.
pappy97
Lulu

Quizbowl Comeback Thoughts (ESCO, UCLA Mirror)

Post by pappy97 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Now that I have a moment I thought I would share some thoughts about this weekend's tourney and my "comeback."

1.) I remember one pet peeve from long ago about Quizbowl and I had the same feelings Saturday. I'll put a post on it in the theory section, but basically it deals with Bible Questions and how I think it is total BS that Bible Questions are in Quizbowl.

2.) One of my strengths in HS Quizbowl (NAC/QU format almost exclusively) was buzzer speed. This is negated in this ACF format, and that kinda sucks (although on a few questions I answered, after my light went on you could hear several people clicking their buzzers).

3.) I was not adequately prepared for the "neg." I practiced with it and listened to NAQT/ICT podcasts which had it, but I truly was not ready for the impact the neg has on you buzzing in to answer a question. (I think in NAC/QU you don't lose points for buzzing in while the question is read).

4.) I'm not so sure I am a fan of packets being written by players of that tournament. I got the feeling some packet writers went extremely obscure to intentionally increase the difficulty far beyond that of "slightly easier than ACF regionals" (Jerry's mandate in his original post). I also noticed a few trick questions which I thought everyone here said was only something you see in NAC/QU questions.

5.) The competition is fierce. I loved that!

6.) In the UCLA mirror we played a few rounds of the Summer Camp trash tourney at UTC. I love trash!

In the end, I had a good time and I loved picking up the buzzer again. As far as the future goes, I definitely could see myself playing all SF Bay Area Open Tourneys, especially trash. I'll probably only travel when my wife (who never wants to attend a tourney again because she was bored mostly all day) wants to go somewhere, like Disneyland as we did this last weekend.

Nathan
Wakka

Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:35 pm

This is a joke, right?

NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Nathan wrote:This is a joke, right?
Nope.

--RD, unable to formulate a good "unprepared for the neg"-related joke.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05

pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Nathan wrote:This is a joke, right?
What is a joke?

WestBerkeleyFlats
Lulu

Pluralism Is Amusing

Post by WestBerkeleyFlats » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:40 am

This is amusing.

Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:56 am

I hear papool's thoughts:academic::flaxman's thoughts:all of qb
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?