Triple H questions: Quizbowl worthy?

Old college threads.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Triple H questions: Quizbowl worthy?

Post by AKKOLADE »

When playing the CMU site of the ESCO, I was reminded of one thing I absolute LOVED when I was a HS quizbowler in the 90's: questions about Triple H.

I think Triple H (inc. Degeneration-X) Questions have A place in Quizbowl. Simply put, they are academic.

Sure you could study Triple H in college, but you also could study quantum physics. Many colleges have legitimate courses on the science of physics and biology, does that mean those are now academic?

Does that mean intricate questions about Typee or Our Town are not trash questions anymore? Of course not.

If you want to argue Triple H Questions don't have a place in quizbowl because we live in Western society, I'll buy that....as CRAP. To say that "Everyone doesn't know Triple H" is to say that questions about Triple H are trashworthy, i.e. that Triple H is somehow engrained only in our pop culture.

I am not bringing this up just because I don't know jack about Triple H, nothing could be less true. Frankly I think it is a joke to put it on the same page as lit/history/science questions, as those questions pale in comparison with The Game.

Don't forget the inherent advantage Triple H students and people who enjoy reading The Making of The Game have in answering these questions.

I am not even getting into the whole thing about if you are going to have Triple H questions, packets need to have other Degeneration-X members (incl. X-Pac, Chyna and Rick Rude) adequated represented, because that isn't the crux of my argument.

Everything that constitutes academic questions in Quizbowl should be based on subjects you learn in public HS. You learn about Triple H inside and out in public HS. Maybe at a private school or magnet school, but definitely at "regular" high school.

Am I alone in thinking that Triple H Questions are worthy of Quizbowl?
Chris Frankel
Rikku

Re: Triple H questions: Quizbowl worthy?

Post by Chris Frankel »

leftsaidfred wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Triple H Questions are worthy of Quizbowl?
I think you're right too, but I hope in calling for more questions, you won't neglect his days as Terra Ryzin and Jean-Paul Levesque. Who can forget his early feud with "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright (the one with both arms)?
"They sometimes get fooled by the direction a question is going to take, and that's intentional," said Reid. "The players on these teams are so good that 90 percent of the time they could interrupt the question and give the correct answer if the questions didn't take those kinds of turns. That wouldn't be fun to watch, so every now and then as I design these suckers, I say to myself, 'Watch this!' and wait 'til we're on camera. I got a lot of dirty looks this last tournament."
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Chris Frankel wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Triple H Questions are worthy of Quizbowl?
I think you're right too, but I hope in calling for more questions, you won't neglect his days as Terra Ryzin and Jean-Paul Levesque. Who can forget his early feud with "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright (the one with both arms)?
two words: "suck it" (I still can't believe I thought D-X was badass when I was 13.)

Alex Wright always pissed me off, he had that horrible techno intro combined with that stupid arms behind the head dance that accompanied it.

I was always a big "Disco Inferno" fan. He looked like a hick Hal Sparks.

I also personally believe we should have more Tammy Lynn Sytch tus.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 »

Chris Frankel wrote:
Don't forget at one point in WCW they changed his name to Terror Ryzing...apparently Terra Ryzin didn't fly with the WCW crowd.