ANNOUNCEMENT: Sunshine State Invitational 1/13/07

Old college threads.
kelli
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: Sunshine State Invitational 1/13/07

Post by kelli »

On January 13, 2007, the University of Florida will host the 18th Sunshine State Invitational. It will be ACF-style with power tossups, and questions will be written in-house by the University of Florida College Bowl team, so packet submission is not necessary.

Also, the next day, an as-yet unnamed trash tournament will be held if interest is shown, also on the campus of the University of Florida.

More details on fee structure and registration will be forthcoming.

Email any questions to [email protected]

Kelli Wood
Tournament Director
UF College Bowl
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

More details on fee structure and registration will be forthcoming.
The base fee is $100
-$10 per buzzer
-$10 travel discount for teams over 200 miles away by mapquest
-$10 per each additional team

To register or for more information, email me at [email protected]

Doug Robeson
Tournament Director
UF College Bowl
ufgirl08
Kimahri

Sunshine State Invitational Tournament

Post by ufgirl08 »

Hi Folks! As we get closer to the actual tournament date, I'd like to remind all the teams in the Southeast (and anyone else who's interested) about the Sunshine State Invitational Tournament on January 13th.

All previously posted information stays the same--just to reiterate:
--January 13th
--In-house packets--ACF style
--Trash Tournament Sunday
--Base fee 100$
-$10 per buzzer
-$10 travel discount for teams over 200 miles away by mapquest
-$10 per each additional team
-$10 for any team with extra members who want to help read
-$20 for NEW/Newly re-formed teams who haven't been active in the past 2 years

As we have had some changes in the TD position, for now, if you have any questions, or would like to register, please contact me at [email protected] as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Sarah Whitfield
Director
UF College Bowl
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

Any updates? Specifically, what about the supposed trash tournament? Since fees, packet specs, and general info were never posted for that, I'll assume that it is either an ABD mirror, house-written, or not happening.
bornonatrain
Lulu

Post by bornonatrain »

Here's the deal:

The tournament is most certainly on, and as far as I know it will be held in Matherly Hall, on the Northeast corner of campus.

As far as I know, and do not take my word, but the tourney should start at 9 AM.

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE EARLY/ON TIME. The Glorious University of Florida (GUF) is holding a celebration at the Swamp for our football team, so parking may be limited. (This is bad).

Trash will be a mini-tournament, with not as many rounds as it would have had if more people had been writing actual SSI questions and we didn't have the tournament director turnover. More info on that later.

Melissa Munkel
UF College Bowl
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

If you're going to SSI, I'd recommend allowing a fair bit of extra time for driving and parking. The exits off I-75 tend to get backed up on football Saturdays, so you might want to allow an extra 20-30 minutes for the drive. Near as I can tell from a search, the celebration at the stadium starts at either noon or 1pm, but gates open at 10:30am. Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad if you're coming in at 8:30am, but you should allow for the possibility.

Be aware of possible delays at lunchtime as well -- there are a bunch of places in walking distance from Matherly, but all of them might be packed. If you try ordering pizzas instead, you're still likely to run into delays.

--RD
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
bornonatrain
Lulu

Post by bornonatrain »

Alright, thanks to Michigan, we'll be having a full trash tournament of 8-11 rounds. The trash tourney will also be at Matherly Hall, starting whenever we feel like it.

The pricing schedule is as such:
$70 base fee
-$10 for a half-packet submitted
-$20 for packet submitted
-$5 for a working buzzer set

-- Melissa
aplviper
Kimahri

Post by aplviper »

So packet submission is not required?
bornonatrain
Lulu

Post by bornonatrain »

aplviper wrote:So packet submission is not required?
An astute observation indeed.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Presumably some Gator will post more comprehensive results after a short bender, but in the meantime I can tell a waiting world that USF beat FSU in a palindromic final, with Valencia A taking third. I thought the questions were the best I've heard at an SSI, and if they're offered, I'd recommend picking them up. Thanks to Sarah, Travis, and all the staff for a well run and enjoyable tournament.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

In the first ever post-SSI singles tournament, Aaron of UF emerged victorious. Despite their high level of difficulty, everyone at the tournament greatly enjoyed the questions. Thanks Jerry!
chune72
Lulu

Post by chune72 »

Thanks to all of the players and staff who helped make this year's installment of SSI successful.

Final results (includes play-offs) can be found here.

-Travis

-----