ANNOUNCEMENT: BOB (12/9/06) at Yale

Old college threads.
NatusRoma
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: BOB (12/9/06) at Yale

Post by NatusRoma »

I'm stepping in for Mike, who is out of the country at present, to announce
that Yale is hosting its annual college tournament, Bulldogs Over Broadway (BOB), on Saturday, December 9, 2006, in scenic New Haven, CT.

Fees:
Base fee $100
Working Buzzer discount -$10 (limit 2 discounts)
Minimum fee (with packet discounts listed below) $60

BOB is a packet-submission tournament, and here are the requirements.

Send Mike a packet of: 25 tossups/25 bonuses (aim for around ACF regionals difficulty or maybe a little easier)

Packet specifics:

4/4 History
4/4 Literature
4/4 Science
2/2 of any of the above three (no more than 1/1 of each discipline)
3/3 Fine Arts (music, painting, architecture, etc.)
3/3 Religion/Myth/Philosophy
2/2 Social Science
1/1 Geography/Current Events
2/2 Miscellaneous (General Knowledge, Multi-disciplinary, Trash, or
more from previous categories)

Packet discounts/deadlines:
Fri. November 10 -$25
Fri. Nov. 17 -$15
Sat. Nov. 25 No penalty
Fri. December 1 +$20
After that +$40

**Best packet discount (as determined by Mike) -$15

E-mail Mike about arrangements for novice teams, multiple teams from the same school, packet questions, etc.

michael . wehrman @ yale . edu

Thanks,
Andrew
MikeWormdog
Lulu

Post by MikeWormdog »

hey, just wanted to let people know about BOB on December 9. I've gotten some interest from a few teams, but let me know if you're planning on coming or have questions regarding packets or whatever.

Also, the questions from last year's tournament will be put on the archive sometime in the very near future.

Mike
MikeWormdog
Lulu

Post by MikeWormdog »

Hey everyone, looks like the first deadline is fast approaching. Here's the tentative field so far:

Brown 2?
Amherst 2?
Harvard 1-2
Rutgers 1
Rutgers-Newark 1-2
Yale house 1

Expressed interest:
Nathan Freeburg

Let me know if I've forgotten anyone. Also, there's still room for more teams if anyone's interested.

If you have any questions about packets or whatever, let me know. Also, regarding formatting, particularly on bonuses, just try to be consistent. I prefer bonus parts lettered rather than numbered or [point value]-ed but it's not that important.

Later,
Mike
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

alas, I'll be in Miami that weekend.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Can we get a field/logistics update?
MikeWormdog
Lulu

Post by MikeWormdog »

The field is:
2 Rutgers-Newark
1 Rutgers
2 Columbia
2 Brown
1 Amherst
1 Yale House

So, 9 teams. We do have rooms...I'll know for sure where those rooms are Thursday afternoon.

Time: try to show up around 9. We want to get rounds started at 9:30. Directions can be found at http://www.yale.edu/ysac

I'll email everyone again with this stuff (incl. building location as soon as I get it.)
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

The tournament will be held in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH), which is the same building in which BOB and NAQT sectionals were in last year, and is also the building that is circled on the map on the website.

We will assemble in WLH 119.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Brown A (Jerry, Eric, Phil, Evan) beat Rutgers New Brunswick (Yi, Jason, Kevin, Chris) to win the 2006 Bulldogs Over Broadway, earning undying glory and a set of shot glasses with the Yale logo on them.

Team (including playoffs) and individual (not including playoffs) are available here.
http://www.yale.edu/ysac/bob2006/index_bob2006.html

Thanks to everyone who came out, and congratulations to the winners. I'm looking forward to seeing people's thoughts on the questions.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'd like to thank the Yale club for putting on a fun tournament. I had a really good time, as was probably evidenced by my reduced griping during the tournament itself. The questions were for the most part interesting and well-written; there was one packet that I think could have used a serious rewrite, but I won't let that spoil my overall positive feelings towards the tournament. My one regret is that there were not 12 packets to play the full rebracketed round-robin, since we had a close game against our B team, and both teams would have liked to play each other again. Perhaps soliciting a freelance packet might have alleviated the shortage? Anyway, it's not a big deal, as it didn't end up mattering in the end. Thanks again to Mike, Andrew, and the rest of the Yale crew for the fun event.

As an addendum, I'd like to note one thing. The aforementioned packet that could have used a rewrite contained some examples of bonuses I've been doing my best to exterminate; to wit, "name the SI unit" and "physical constants from values" bonuses. Please, never ever write these bonuses, ever. Really, never. In the unlikely event that someone should submit something like this to ACF Regionals, I'm just going to send that question back to you and ask for a replacement.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Also, Yale folks, why aren't the stats in SQBS? Not that it matters a great deal, but it's easier to read and provides more information.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Something we should have mentioned earlier: Thanks to Harvard for providing a packet despite not being able to attend. We appreciated it.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Are packets available yet for trade/consumption?
MikeWormdog
Lulu

Post by MikeWormdog »

Hey, sorry for the delay. I've been both busy and gone. I need to fix typos and stuff and haven't really had time. The questions will be available soon after Christmas.
MikeWormdog
Lulu

Post by MikeWormdog »

ok, sorry for taking so long...I fixed a few typos and stuff and the questions are available for "trade/consumption." I'm sure I missed some stuff, but whatever. I've sent the packets out to people who have contacted me already about them...if I've forgotten anyone or if anyone else is interested, send me an email.

Thanks again to those who came and thanks to Kyle and Harvard for their questions they sent us. Hope everyone who attended had a good time and, we hope to see you next year (though I think this was my last go-round).

Mike

michael . wehrman @ yale . edu