Georgia Tech MLK Invitational - 1/20/2007

Old college threads.
gtechnerd
Lulu

Georgia Tech MLK Invitational - 1/20/2007

Post by gtechnerd »

This is the preliminary anouncement for the 2007 Georgia Tech MLK tournament. The tournament will be held the Saturday after Martin Luther King Day so as to avoid conflict with Sunshine State (this will conflict with Penn Bowl, but due to geographic isolation, we doubt this will be a problem). The tournament will use house rounds, and the difficulty level is going to be moderate for preliminary rounds, with more difficult play off rounds (if there is not enough participation to warrant playoffs, then there will be two round robins, one on moderate questions, the other on hard questions.

The standard base fee will be 100$, with
-5$ per buzzer (limit one buzzer per team unless otherwise noted)
-5$ per hundred miles traveled by mapquest (up to 15$),
-15$ first timers discount (applied to teams which have participated in there first college level tournament (CBI, NAQT, ACF etc.) this academic year.
-10$ per each subsequent team (so 90$ base fee for B team, 80$ for C team etc.)
A minimum fee of 50$ exists regardless of other applied discounts.

If you are planning on attending, or if you have any questions, please contact Taylor Kulp at quizbowl {at} gatech.edu or at gth661d {at} mail.gatech.edu
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Any updates on this event Taylor?
gtechnerd
Lulu

Current field and general info

Post by gtechnerd »

The tournament is a week from Saturday, and we just received final confirmation on the rooms. It will be held in the instructional center in the same place as our fall tournament.
So far the following teams have contacted me and told me they are bringing teams,

University of Florida: 1-3
Agnes Scott: 1
South Carolina: 1-2

I'm hoping more teams will sign up as the final date approaches. To encourage schools to bring more teams, we are increasing the second team discount to -20$, so a B team has a base fee of 80$, a C team 60$ etc. All other discounts, such as buzzers and travel fee, can also be applied to each team. The minimum fee is still 50$ per team though, so D-Z teams would pay at that rate.

Thanks to all the teams that have sign up so far, if you would like to sign up, please e-mail me at quizbowl [at] gatech.edu
gtechnerd
Lulu

Post by gtechnerd »

Here is the upadated field for the tournament this weekend. If any of the information is incorrect, or if I forgot a team, please let me know immediately!

Agnes Scott - ?
Florida State - 1
Kentucky - 1
South Carolina - 1
UF - 1
USF - 1
UTC - 1

The tournament will be in the Instructional Center, 759 Ferst Drive, N.W. The parking lot right next to it should be the one indicated by mapquest. If you need more detailed directions, please e-mail me.

Registration will begin at 9:00, and the tournament will begin as soon as everyone is registered, or at 10:00, whichever is first.
gtechnerd
Lulu

Post by gtechnerd »

Due to poor planning on my part, amoung other things, the questions didn't get as far along as they needed to be, so we are going to be mirroring Penn Bowl for the questions instead.

I will shuffle questions arround to make sure that the overall difficulty is consistant with other Southeastern tournaments, I appologize for any bait and switch, but this should be a high quality tournament. Thank you for your understanding.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Hallelujah, this is the greatest news I heard all day!
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I really don't see the need to switch questions around to make the rounds easier, especially since Penn Bowl isn't supposed to be all that hard this year. I mean, we'll all be playing NAQT SCT and ACF regionals in a few weeks, and it's not like COTKU and Moon Pie are junior-bird level either. Anyway, just my two cents, even though I can't go...
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Whew, 4 rounds done and it's 3:30
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

wd4gdz wrote:Whew, 4 rounds done and it's 3:30
Uh... I hope you mean stats and not actual games.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:Whew, 4 rounds done and it's 3:30
Uh... I hope you mean stats and not actual games.
I hope they mean games.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

At 4:30 pm ET???
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Sadly, it was indeed games played.

Anyway, the top three were:
1) USF
2) FSU
3) Seth

Overall--

Good: The questions (they were from Penn Bowl)

Bad: Everything Else
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

wd4gdz wrote:Sadly, it was indeed games played.
Good: The questions (they were from Penn Bowl)

Bad: Everything Else
I see that not only are the Penn Bowl questions portable, but so is the quintessential Penn Bowl experience.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

wait, so there were only 4 rounds? What? How bout some stats/a full explanation? Or maybe an apology from those responsible?
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I originally posted at 3:30pm ET on Saturday. At that time, we had played 4 rounds. We eventually played a double round-robin, for a total of 10 rounds.
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

To be fair, we had a pretty late start waiting to see if any more teams would show up, then deciding just what we were going to do with an 11-player field. USF graciously broke up their three-man squad, with Ahmad playing solo, allowing us to have an even amount of teams and no bye rounds.

We got through four rounds by about 1:30 or 2, at which time we broke for lunch and I imagine Billy posted that as we were getting back to play. Things seemed to go a bit quicker after lunch and we got through with the double-round robin by 8:30 or so.

Apparently Ga. Tech had several people drop out of their program leading up to the tournament and so the tournament was understaffed, but at least they didn't cancel the tournament, so that should be commended.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

wd4gdz wrote:I originally posted at 3:30pm ET on Saturday. At that time, we had played 4 rounds. We eventually played a double round-robin, for a total of 10 rounds.
Oh okay... though I can't figure out the hour difference between what you said and the posting hour... but who cares. ;)