Terrapin discussion

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Despite the low number of rounds due to what I hear was most teams deciding the "packet submission" portion of the tournament announcement did not apply to them, this ended up being quite a good event. Not only was the logistical and staff excellence that I have come to expect from Maryland tournaments out in full force, the packets from first-time (?) editor Jonathan and his crew were more than up to the task. I'm looking forward to any future events from the people behind this tournament.

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:08 pm

Matt Weiner wrote: first-time (?) editor Jonathan and his crew
This was my first time editing a college tournament (I had worked on our high school tournament last spring), although I can't speak for Casey or Chris.

I would like to hear people's reactions to the tournament; personally, I thought that some of the questions could have used some more polishing, and I apologize for any repeats that may have happened. The editors tried to keep every reasonable answer in the submitted packets, which should hopefully serve as an incentive for more teams to write packets for our future tournaments.

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Did Chicago end up sending a freelance packet? If so, was it used?

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Yes on both counts.

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 am

My two cents: Great tournament! There were a couple of repeats but fewer than in the Penn Bowl last week and they were all in bonuses I think, so it was no big deal. Round 6 seemed harder than the other rounds, but I could be wrong and just bitter about losing by 10 points. Other than that the difficulty and tossup length seemed consistent and pretty good. In some of the early rounds it seemed like tossups went: hard clue hard clue hard clue hard clue easy clue giveaway whereas a tossup is supposed to go: hard clue hard clue medium clue medium clue easy clue giveaway. My point is it seemed like the middle stuff in tossups was equally as difficult as the early stuff in the early rounds, but I could be wrong as a) I was damn tired before lunch, b) we were being crushed by teams like Phil, VCU, and UVA then, and c) we're not that good/experienced so my judgment could be off, whatevs...