Question for Matt Lafer

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Question for Matt Lafer

Post by theMoMA »

Do you have any tips for beating Jordan besides 'get better'?

I generally try to get through solo A without cracking a SP but I've only done that once (and lost somewhere in C or D when my SP ran out).

I've 5-starred something like 90 songs between GH1 and GH2 but I can't beat this damn song.
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

Not having played GHII in a while, I can't help you that much, but Buckethead himself did record this song for the game, so good luck.
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Wow, I didn't expect to see this here.

First, make sure you have the main riff down cold. I usually strum the first three notes, then hold down green and tap the yellows, strum the double green note and then hammer on R-Y-B-O-B.

The first hard part is the guitar break, the part that goes GRY-RYB-YBO etc. You want to be able to get past this part while still in the green. Try just strumming the first note of each triplet and then sort of slide your hand in a right-ward direction across the frets after each strum. I can't keep a combo here but that should at least keep you in the green.

Solo A is easy and you should 100% it except for the very end with the descending scales (I think you meant solo B instead of solo Ain your post). For the descending scales, i play them like the four note scales in Freebird, even though it's three notes with a gap in the middle -- strum the first note while holding your pinky then roll the rest of your three fingers leftwards. I re-strum after every triplet.

This is when Solo B starts. There's a notable break in the middle of this solo, and this is probably where you want to use your star power. Easier said than done getting there. What I do is i usually use only 2 fingers and place them on the two primary notes that come up (red-yellow, then yellow-blue, etc.) I then randomly alternate between my index and middle fingers, and strum with the palm of my hand very fast (i use my palm because this part doesn't really require any rhythmic accuracy, and it's less tiring). When you are about to fail, slam the select button with the palm of your hand (tilting will NOT work if you are strumming extremely fast, it's a glitch) and then immediately move your hand back to the strum bar and start strumming again. If you wait long enough, your SP should run out near the end of solo C.

I don't really have any tips for the end of Solo C, except, try to strum everything and not hammer-on or slide, because a misplayed hammer-on could screw you out of 4+ notes each time. If you're in the green after SP runs out, you should be able to survive. After you get the blue SP at the end of Solo C, the rest of the song is easy.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Yeah, thanks. I did mean solo B. Looks like great advice though. I have a big problem getting to that break you're describing, and the one time I did it I got nervous, strummed too slow, and crashed and burned when the SP ran out.

I'll give it a shot as soon as I transition back to GH2. Right now I'm trying to clean up my 5 stars on GH1...5 to go, but it's just a matter of time with Bark at the Moon (once I stop losing on the solo I'll have it) and Frankenstein. I have a feeling Cowboys, Breaking Wheel, and Texas Flood are going to be bitches though.

My stats:
http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?use ... e=1&diff=4
http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?use ... e=2&diff=4

Not quite #50 or whatever, but when I get around to beating my scores on the easy songs from about a month ago I'll be in the top 500 hopefully. Right now I can only FC the easiest songs (Stellar, I love R&R, Hey, Heart-Shaped Box) and I really need to clean up HOPOs on long chains of notes before I can start FCing the next difficulty.

Are you going to be at ICT?
Ray
Lulu

Post by Ray »

haha sweet
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

I've been trying to pass with a 3/4 bar of star power recently so I'll correct a few things I said:

1. Never mind what I said about just concentrating on the two primary notes. Just try to hit every note. Obviously, it's too fast, but you'll pick up a lot of accidental HO/PO this way.
2. Don't strum as absolutely fast as you can. I think the notes are all 32nd notes, so if you can do the fast section in the intro and outro of Six, it's the same speed as that.