technology tournament

Old college threads.
Locked

you and your school be interested in competing in a technology tournament?

yes
22
61%
no
14
39%
 
Total votes: 36

nohobos
Kimahri
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:55 pm

technology tournament

Post by nohobos »

Are there any good technology tournaments?
If you don't know of any would you and your school be interested in competing in a technology tournament?
User avatar
No Rules Westbrook
Auron
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm
Contact:

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Sign me up...oh wait, your sn indicates no hobos allowed. What a shame.
User avatar
Morton's Fork
Lulu
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:48 pm
Location: Boston

Post by Morton's Fork »

What is this technology tournament you speak of?
I am intrigued how may I subscribe to your newsletter?
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: technology tournament

Post by grapesmoker »

nohobos wrote:Are there any good technology tournaments?
If you don't know of any would you and your school be interested in competing in a technology tournament?
:w-hat:
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
Sima Guang Hater
Auron
Posts: 1880
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

What's a technology tournament?
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:What's a technology tournament?
I hope it involves robots playing quizbowl.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

I recorded the computer reading some packets for a recent car trip and it was actually pretty good. I'd put him in the top 50% of moderators.

I'm considering releasing these files on the podcast if anyone is interested.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

ikillkenny wrote:I recorded the computer reading some packets for a recent car trip and it was actually pretty good. I'd put him in the top 50% of moderators.

I'm considering releasing these files on the podcast if anyone is interested.
I also did this when I drove to ICT last year. I even got something like 3 or 4 tossups because of it, it was amusing. The computer really gets in trouble with some foreign names though.

I'm personally in support of the idea wherein all matches are pre-recorded as read by R. and all the moderators do is hit pause and play.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
Sima Guang Hater
Auron
Posts: 1880
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I hope it involves robots playing quizbowl
I kind of pictured cyborgs. I had this idea for a brain implant that could look things up on wikipedia that I might try out.
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

grapesmoker wrote:
ikillkenny wrote:I recorded the computer reading some packets for a recent car trip and it was actually pretty good. I'd put him in the top 50% of moderators.

I'm considering releasing these files on the podcast if anyone is interested.
I also did this when I drove to ICT last year. I even got something like 3 or 4 tossups because of it, it was amusing. The computer really gets in trouble with some foreign names though.

I'm personally in support of the idea wherein all matches are pre-recorded as read by R. and all the moderators do is hit pause and play.
Yeah I was actually thinking that would be a pretty good solution for NAQT slow reader problems. Maybe once I get that stats program I'm working on more complete I might try adding something like this.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:48 am
Location: Houston, TX

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I'll just come out with it...what the hell is a technology tournament?
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15570
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Post by AKKOLADE »

grapesmoker wrote:
ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:What's a technology tournament?
I hope it involves robots playing quizbowl.
Robots from the future.
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:I'll just come out with it...what the hell is a technology tournament?
Future.
User avatar
The Time Keeper
Auron
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by The Time Keeper »

Who voted no for this?!
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

Dolemite wrote:Who voted no for this?!
Luddites.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Post by First Chairman »

I have no clue who this person is, but I will say that there are such things as technology "quiz bowl" competitions which are part of their middle/high school conventions (specifically, the Technology Students Association). I moderated once.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I have no clue who this person is, but I will say that there are such things as technology "quiz bowl" competitions which are part of their middle/high school conventions (specifically, the Technology Students Association). I moderated once.
Don't keep us in suspence!
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
Stained Diviner
Auron
Posts: 4830
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Post by Stained Diviner »

Would it be fair to give the cyborgs a trillion part bonus?

How would we know that they are not wirelessly searching the internet during a match?

Would they complain if we only asked 2 CS tossups during the entire tournament?
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

ReinsteinD wrote:Would they complain if we only asked 2 CS tossups during the entire tournament?
Oh shit the ruse is up.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Post by theMoMA »

If we were really playing cyborgs and there was a computation tossup...we'd be done.
User avatar
BuzzerZen
Auron
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA/Hampshire College
Contact:

Post by BuzzerZen »

Why does everyone assume that artificial intelligences that are presumably using large (massive) amounts of computing power to replicate human consciousness are somehow hyperintelligent? Just because your brain is made out of code instead of neurons doesn't mean you're some sort of hypergenius.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

BuzzerZen wrote:Why does everyone assume that artificial intelligences that are presumably using large (massive) amounts of computing power to replicate human consciousness are somehow hyperintelligent? Just because your brain is made out of code instead of neurons doesn't mean you're some sort of hypergenius.
The FUTURE
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:48 am
Location: Houston, TX

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Not to mention asking a cyborg about computer science is no different from asking a human about biology, and most current quizbowl players know very little about SCIENCE anyway.
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:Not to mention asking a cyborg about computer science is no different from asking a human about biology, and most current quizbowl players know very little about SCIENCE anyway.
Oh come on, no one asks about computer science.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques »

Why does everyone assume that artificial intelligences that are presumably using large (massive) amounts of computing power to replicate human consciousness are somehow hyperintelligent? Just because your brain is made out of code instead of neurons doesn't mean you're some sort of hypergenius.
If you could go ahead and post Sam Lederer's source code we could straighten this whole mess up right now. While you do that, I will try to find that computation tossup I wrote last year where you have to determine Sam's access code so you can deactivate him before he lasers you or whatever.
jewtemplar
Rikku
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:18 am
Location: Burke, VA
Contact:

Post by jewtemplar »

Pardon?
User avatar
solonqb
Tidus
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Post by solonqb »

He exists!
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15570
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Post by AKKOLADE »

jewtemplar wrote:Pardon?
Judging from the result of a discussion of quiz bowling robots drawing this account out from retirement, I feel it's safe to conclude that Thomas Jefferson is actually a robot factory and they plan on silencing everyone who discovers their terrible secret. But you don't scare me, Thomas Jefferson robot factory.

Also welcome back to the Internet.
User avatar
No Sollositing On Premise
Yuna
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

leftsaidfred wrote:Judging from the result of a discussion of quiz bowling robots drawing this account out from retirement, I feel it's safe to conclude that Thomas Jefferson is actually a robot factory and they plan on silencing everyone who discovers their terrible secret. But you don't scare me, Thomas Jefferson robot factory.
Fuck, he's on to us.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
nohobos
Kimahri
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:55 pm

what is a technology tourny

Post by nohobos »

a tourny with Questions based more heavily on technology and possibly math but mostly questions aimed towards technology instead of world history and literature
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: what is a technology tourny

Post by grapesmoker »

nohobos wrote:a tourny with Questions based more heavily on technology and possibly math but mostly questions aimed towards technology instead of world history and literature
I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but for the last couple years, during the Chicago Open weekend, there has been a science-only tournament. Demand for such events is usually pretty low; CO happens to bring in most of the players who are interested in such an event, and I don't think many players who are not already going to this would be interested if it was run during the regular "season."
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
No Rules Westbrook
Auron
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm
Contact:

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

So, I'm still a little confused about what a technology tournament is, let me try to get this straight:

It's a tournament where there is less history and lit, and more technology. Similarly, fine arts and mythology would be underrepresented at such an event, but technology would not? Religion and philosophy would receive less emphasis, but more emphasis would be placed upon technology? Social science and georgraphy would be cut back...but what exactly would you replace that with? Technology? Also, is that a 1/1 or 2/2 iPod distribution - and, I should define this, these are questions to which all answers are "iPod."

Seriously, though, I think we should all try our best to make this the most posted thread ever. We're already at 30 or so; come on, gang, we can do better. Danny Tartabull and Pat Sajak are standing by to take your calls, and please enjoy these live performances by Air Supply and Judy Tenuta.
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Post by theMoMA »

Is this recent technology only, or will history of technology be in the distribution? Ex: hand axes, sliced bread, ENIAC, etc.
User avatar
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:48 am
Location: Houston, TX

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Would technology in pop culture be a part of the distribution? I know I've been waiting forever for a tossup on noted film Short Circuit.
User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques »

Eat
User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques »

At
User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques »

Joe's
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

theMoMA wrote:Is this recent technology only, or will history of technology be in the distribution? Ex: hand axes, sliced bread, ENIAC, etc.
20 tossups on op-amps
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
cvdwightw
Auron
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 am
Location: Southern CA
Contact:

Post by cvdwightw »

10/10 MEMS
10/10 Corporate History of Technological Companies/Companies Providing Technological Services (e.g. EDS, Best Buy)

Also, I have eaten at a restaurant called Eat at Joe's in Redondo Beach. By all accounts it was good.
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15570
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Post by AKKOLADE »

I feel kind of bad for helping derail this thread.

But then I think about TJ actually being a robot factory and that makes me feel better.

Until I realize they sent the squirrels after my phone lines.

Damned squirrels.
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

DumbJaques wrote:Eat
DumbJaques wrote:At
DumbJaques wrote:Joe's
You're cheating.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15570
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Post by AKKOLADE »

Squirrels like Joe's food.

I do not like squirrels.

Ergo I do not like Joe's food.

This is scientifically true you cannot disprove it.
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Post by theMoMA »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:Would technology in pop culture be a part of the distribution? I know I've been waiting forever for a tossup on noted film Short Circuit.
Short Circuit is not technology. It is racism.
User avatar
No Rules Westbrook
Auron
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm
Contact:

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Speaking of Short Circuit, I'd like to announce a collaborative effort to collect every Steve Guttenberg film ever made; it will be known as the Steve Guttenberg Project. Oh, wait, it's already been done!:

http://steveguttenbergproject.blogspot.com/

I doff my cap to you, internet. The Guttenberg 1, academia 0.
User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post by DumbJaques »

Technology tournament, or one of the two most important tournaments in womens' curling worldwide?
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by grapesmoker »

DumbJaques wrote:Technology tournament, or one of the two most important tournaments in womens' curling worldwide?
both
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
User avatar
No Sollositing On Premise
Yuna
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

DumbJaques wrote:Eat
DumbJaques wrote:At
DumbJaques wrote:Joe's
Wha' happan'!? I don't think so!
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Post by theMoMA »

A technology tournament would be the ideal venue to try out (Jerry or Weiner)'s idea of eliminating the problem of slow readers in timed formats by piping R's prerecorded dulcet tones over a couple instances of WinAmp.
User avatar
Doctor Zaius
Orangutan Scientist
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:00 am
Location: Ape City

Re: technology tournament

Post by Doctor Zaius »

Dr. Mi Zaius
Minister of Science & Chief Defender of the Faith
Image
Locked