West Coast mirror of the Chicago Open?

Old college threads.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

West Coast mirror of the Chicago Open?

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

I was under the impression that, in the past, there has been a California mirror of the CO and a few of the associated tournaments (e.g. the trash). Is anyone planning such a thing this year? I'll be in Palo Alto this summer, and would love to play a mirror at Stanford or Berkeley.
pappy97
Lulu

Re: West Coast mirror of the Chicago Open?

Post by pappy97 »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:I was under the impression that, in the past, there has been a California mirror of the CO and a few of the associated tournaments (e.g. the trash). Is anyone planning such a thing this year? I'll be in Palo Alto this summer, and would love to play a mirror at Stanford or Berkeley.
I work in Palo Alto and have been trying to get trash tourneys mirrored here, but to no avail. I believe the problem is that many Stanford and Berkeley students are not local so nobody is around during the summer, as they are at UT-C, BC, U of Oklahoma, and even many of the SoCal schools.

I brought this up on the West Coast Quiz Bowl list hosted by Stanford but only got few responses.

I wish it was different, I wanna play without travelling.

P.S. Why are you in P.A. for the summer?
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

I know that in the very recent past, the CO and my trash tournament have been mirrored in the Bay Area. Is nobody interested in running this? It's going to suck if the year I move to California is the year that the tradition of West Coast mirrors finally dies out.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:I know that in the very recent past, the CO and my trash tournament have been mirrored in the Bay Area. Is nobody interested in running this? It's going to suck if the year I move to California is the year that the tradition of West Coast mirrors finally dies out.
Typically, Berkeley runs a CO mirror called BASQUE, but I think they tend to announce it rather late. Since I think few or no Berkeley people run this board, I'll try to contact them and ask them whether they'll do it again this year. If not, perhaps Stanford could step into the breach, especially since they seem to have the people to pull it off now.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

People at Berkeley and UCI have both expressed interest in hosting. Berkeley has priority, contingent on getting sufficient interest. Presumably either site might mirror some or all of the other events.

The exact details haven't been worked out, but there will probably be a reduced writing requirement for the mirror site: teams will be asked to write a half-packet by June 29th, or by July 13th with a late fee, or no packet with a larger no-packet fee. Half-packets should consist of 12/12 with any distribution that fits within the full 24/24 (not 6/6 trash and 6/6 history, for instance).

If you're interested in attending a mirror of Chicago Open at Berkeley or UCI, I guess you can post in this thread. You can also start writing your half-packet.

-Seth
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

If it's a Berkeley mirror, I'm there. Let's work this out, people!
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

I don't mind having the tournament up north, and most likely UCI will send two teams. But I'd have to request the event be held back a week to August 11-12. I personally cannot leave Southern California the weekend of August 4-5 due to a prior obligation.

Can whoever's running the event please post some info? Thank you!
pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 »

QB-dinosaur wrote:I don't mind having the tournament up north, and most likely UCI will send two teams. But I'd have to request the event be held back a week to August 11-12. I personally cannot leave Southern California the weekend of August 4-5 due to a prior obligation.

That's the thing, the Bay Area QB people (Stanford, Berkeley) are not into this board. They use the West Coast QB e-mailing list, set up by Stanford, of which I am a member.

If there is a post there, I'll copy and paste here. I'd really like to see one of the trash tourneys we always hear about at UTC, BC, etc mirrored at Stanford and Berkeley (esp. during the summer)

I suspect the issue is that for these schools, they have their fair share of non-local students who don't stick around the area during the summer (unlike UTC, BC, U of Oklahoma, etc).

But still though, we need some QB action up here, including some trash only (not piggybacking an academic tourney) tourneys.

P.S. Birdofredum Sawin: Why are you in Palo Alto for the summer? You aren't by any chance a future lawyer working at a law firm over the summer are you? I ask because I am a lawyer at a big firm in P.A. and I was just curious.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Both Seth and I have sent email to the Berkeley list and I haven't heard back. I'm sure as soon as either of us is notified this information will appear here, unless someone from Berkeley posts first.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

pappy97 wrote:
But still though, we need some QB action up here, including some trash only (not piggybacking an academic tourney) tourneys.

P.S. Birdofredum Sawin: Why are you in Palo Alto for the summer? You aren't by any chance a future lawyer working at a law firm over the summer are you? I ask because I am a lawyer at a big firm in P.A. and I was just curious.
Um, yeah. I'm going to law school at Stanford next year. I certainly hope there'll be some QB action in the area this summer, and of course in the future.
pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:
pappy97 wrote:

Um, yeah. I'm going to law school at Stanford next year. I certainly hope there'll be some QB action in the area this summer, and of course in the future.
I'd like to start a team made up of other associates in my firm and myself to compete at Bay Area Events. You are proof that it could be worthwhile in terms of recruiting. :grin:
waspman23
Lulu

Post by waspman23 »

QB-dinosaur wrote:I don't mind having the tournament up north, and most likely UCI will send two teams. But I'd have to request the event be held back a week to August 11-12. I personally cannot leave Southern California the weekend of August 4-5 due to a prior obligation.

Yes, let's all rearrange our schedules specifically for Willie Chen's convenience.
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

Stanford definitely plans on sending at least one team to this if it is in Berkeley. We might also go if it's in Irvine, but that's less certain.
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

Any updates out of Berkeley?
Eärendil
Kimahri

Post by Eärendil »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:Um, yeah. I'm going to law school at Stanford next year. I certainly hope there'll be some QB action in the area this summer, and of course in the future.
If Berkeley won't mirror CO, I'm not sure if there's anything Stanford can do. Finances are our main issue. At the very least, there will be practices with those of us spending the summer here.
plujan
Lulu

Post by plujan »

Yeah, my apologies for being way behind on this. A preliminary announcement is now here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=54439
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

I think the actual announcement for BASQUE has been moved to the archives, so I'll post my request for more information about the tournament here. Is it definitely happening? On the weekend of the 4th? If so, would it be possible to get a team list and some sense of which subsidiary tournaments may be held?
pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:I think the actual announcement for BASQUE has been moved to the archives, so I'll post my request for more information about the tournament here. Is it definitely happening? On the weekend of the 4th? If so, would it be possible to get a team list and some sense of which subsidiary tournaments may be held?
It is actually going down, they posted a message to the west coast QB forum which I am posing below.

I am wanting to play in the trash tourney only, and am a free agent. Birdofredum Sawin, interesting in forming a team for the trash tourney? Just let me know. Thanks.

From Paul Lujan ([email protected])

"Hi all,

Sorry for the late update -- I haven't done much which isn't work lately.
But you don't want to hear about my work -- you want to hear about BASQUE.

BASQUE will be held on August 4th. (Sorry, Willie -- the majority of
people preferred this date.) At the moment, it looks like it'll just be
Berkeley and Stanford (unless some SoCal teams come after all), so it'll
be a small tournament (but fun, I hope!) and probably just a one-day
affair.

I think that there are enough people to hold CO, Trash, and Science
Monstrosity, assuming we can work out the logistics on the latter. At the
moment about 4-5 people have expressed interest in the history and lit
tournaments, which is probably not enough, so if you are interested please
let me know ASAP.

Tentatively, the schedule has CO in the morning, Trash in the afternoon,
and Science Monstrosity as an evening affair, possibly in parallel with
one of the other tournaments. If you would prefer a different arrangement,
let me know. We'll be meeting in Barrows, as usual.

I'll send out more logistical information once that is determined.

Thanks,
Paul"