Results: ACF Nationals 2008 - Chicago Wins!

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Announcement: ACF Nationals 2008 04/26/08

Post by grapesmoker »

Space geostrategy wrote:You guys do realize ACF Nats tends to get out quite late, right?
Yeah, I mean, I'd only go if the tournament was over by then.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Depending how long ACF Nationals goes (I recall last year it was done by like 8 or 8:30) and how long it takes to get to Harvard from Brandeis on a Saturday night, it still may be possible for people just to leave late and still make the musical portion of the show which I assume is after the awards.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Banana paper wrote:Depending how long ACF Nationals goes (I recall last year it was done by like 8 or 8:30) and how long it takes to get to Harvard from Brandeis on a Saturday night, it still may be possible for people just to leave late and still make the musical portion of the show which I assume is after the awards.
If you have some method of parking at Harvard, the drive is on the order of 20-30 minutes in light to normal traffic. Alternately, you could drive to Alewife (about fifteen minutes) and take the T in from there (about 20 minutes to Harvard Square).
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Yeah, while we plan to run the best and most efficient ACF Nationals EVER, it could still run on until like 9 PM, so leaving at 7 is something only people who murder puppies would do. Please, people, it's a national tournament, and we're not going to bust our asses producing it for you just so you can bail on it before it's over like a bunch of amateurs. Stay the whole time.

Edit: People posted less outrageous things while I was writing this, but still, please don't bail early.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

How many rounds do you expect to run at the tournament, Eric?
Mike Bentley
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I really can't say, dude, since I don't know how many teams are coming, but we have no intention of compromising the number of rounds to get out before 9 PM. There are currently 18 teams that have registered, but I'd like to think we can get some more.
Eric Kwartler
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I wouldn't dare leave before the tournament is over, and I'm mock-offended that you would suggest such a thing!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Announcement: ACF Nationals 2008 04/26/08 (Brandeis)

Post by theMoMA »

The Holiday Inn Express in Waltham is the official party hotel of ACF Nationals 2008. It's just two miles from campus and costs like $70 per night, plus all the cool kids are staying there.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

theMoMA wrote:The Holiday Inn Express in Waltham is the official party hotel of ACF Nationals 2008. It's just two miles from campus and costs like $70 per night, plus all the cool kids are staying there.
Note: if you consult my travel guide you'll see that most of the hotels I recommended are in the immediate vicinity of said Holiday Inn Express. However, the fact that Andrew Hart and company are nominally staying there does not mean that they will be there for most of Saturday night, or that any kind of partying in a hotel will be taking place.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Notice: Please stop sending packets to Chris Romero. Sending them to me at ekwartler at gmail dot com will be sufficient. Thank you.
Eric Kwartler
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

DeisEvan wrote:I have heard from several sources that people are planning side events to ACF Nationals.
Since I haven't heard anything about this in over a month, am I correct in assuming that these side events aren't happening? It would be good to know before we book our flights.
Brian
Stanford University
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

There will be no side tournaments.
Eric Kwartler
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Hey so, the packet deadline is Monday, and I haven't received packets from many teams. If you have to write a packet, it had better be in by 11:59 PM on Monday, or else you're going to pay the packet penalty.
Eric Kwartler
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:Hey so, the packet deadline is Monday, and I haven't received packets from many teams. If you have to write a packet, it had better be in by 11:59 PM on Monday, or else you're going to pay the packet penalty.
Did you get Maryland B's packet submitted for the last deadline? If you did, permit me to rant for a second:

Not getting confirmations of packets being sent in is something that I see happen a lot and I don't get it. It takes like 30 seconds to do and it helps alleviate any problems in the editors not getting packets when they're done due to stupid things like e-mail addresses being entered wrong.
Mike Bentley
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Not getting confirmations of packets being sent in is something that I see happen a lot and I don't get it. It takes like 30 seconds to do and it helps alleviate any problems in the editors not getting packets when they're done due to stupid things like e-mail addresses being entered wrong.
Mike, I just ask the editors to confirm receipt of the packet in the e-mail that has the packet attached. They're usually good about doing that if reminded to do so. I agree that it should be a standard practice for editors so teams don't stress out (this doesn't mean that an editor won't just forget that you submitted a packet, though).
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Eric, maybe you should post a list of the packets you've received.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I have received packets from:

Rutgers
VCU
Dartmouth A
Dartmouth B
UCLA
Vandy
Maryland B
Brown A
Chicago A
Harvard A
UC-Irvine

If you believe you've submitted a packet but your team is not on here, say so. I might have made a mistake. Sorry about the lack of confirmation.
Eric Kwartler
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Here is the field I have as of now for ACF nationals. If you're on the list but shouldn't be, or if you're not on the list but should be, let me know.

VCU
Brandeis
Minnesota
Chicago
Vanderbilt
Brown
Maryland A
Maryland B
Dartmouth A
Dartmouth B
Harvard
UC-Irvine
USF
Stanford
Rutgers
FSU
High School All Stars (team composition/existence as yet uncertain)
MIT
UCLA
UIUC
Rom and buddies
Yale

Registration is still open, so if you want to come email me.
Eric Kwartler
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Here is the presumably final team list for ACF Nationals:

VCU
Minnesota
Chicago A
Chicago B
Vanderbilt
Brown
Maryland A
Maryland B
Dartmouth A
Dartmouth B
Harvard
UC-Irvine
Stanford
Rutgers
FSU
MIT
UCLA
UIUC
Yale
Rom and Friends (ineligible for top bracket)
Brandeis and Friends (ineligible for top bracket)

It's possible that we will have a 22nd team, but it's unlikely. Teams on this list should email me sometime soon with whether you're bringing a buzzer and/or a staff member along with a roster for the team your sending. We need this because when creating prelim brackets we want to be as fair as possible, and we don't want to make any assumptions based on your team's past performance unless we know that those responsible for that performance will be there. Similarly, if you are adding a strong player to your roster, we want to take that into account.

See you there.
Eric Kwartler
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

This is just a bump to remind you that if you have any questions regarding locations, logistics, or other travel/dining/entertainment related questions, feel free to send me an email ([email protected]) or IM, or talk to me in the IRC.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

There will be an informal gathering Friday night for dinner at a restaurant called Brazzille in Framingham, MA, and a viewing of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay afterwards. Getting to the locations will require a car; trying to take the commuter rail out that far will be an exercise in frustration. I need to know how many people want to go to the movie and dinner so I can get tickets and make a reservation, if it will even be possible. Please email me at the address I stated in the above post if you want to come.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

DeisEvan wrote:and a viewing of Dennis and Eric Escape from Guantanamo Bay afterwards.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

theMoMA wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:and a viewing of Dennis and Eric Escape from Guantanamo Bay afterwards.
ZING!
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

DeisEvan wrote:There will be an informal gathering Friday night for dinner at a restaurant called Brazzille in Framingham, MA, and a viewing of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay afterwards. Getting to the locations will require a car; trying to take the commuter rail out that far will be an exercise in frustration. I need to know how many people want to go to the movie and dinner so I can get tickets and make a reservation, if it will even be possible. Please email me at the address I stated in the above post if you want to come.
Depending when we get there, I would probably be interested and potentially some people from the Maryland team would be as well. We plan to leave around 10 so we could get there as early as like 6 but also much later if we get hurt by traffic.
Mike Bentley
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Okay, so it looks like we will be trying to begin play at 9:30 AM, so please report to Golding (the Judaic center, not the health center) 110 (the auditorium) between 9:00 and 9:15 at the latest. If you need a campus map, look here.

For driving directions, consult the travel guide. If you need special directions, email me.

For Friday night, I need confirmation by this afternoon (~2 PM or so) if you'd like to go.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Other important info:

For parking, consult the map above. You should park in Tower lot (shows up as E lot on the interactive version, which is older).

For Friday night, the restaurant is Brazzille, and can be found here. Basically, take the Mass Pike westbound to the Natick/Rte. 30 exit, then go right after the tollbooth onto 30 west. Follow this until Rte. 126/Concord St., and turn left. Continue south on Concord St. for a while. After the intersection with Rte. 135, the restaurant will be on the right. Take the first right after the restaurant and there will be a public parking lot behind the building.

The movie theater is the AMC Framingham 16, found at 22 Flutie Pass (yes, seriously, since he's from Framingham). Directions from the restaurant to the theater may be found here. We are having all those attending buy their tickets in advance for the 9:40 PM showing of the movie. You can purchase tickets here, which I would recommend, since we're going opening night. (I already purchased my ticket; you buy online and get them from a machine by the door.)

For any other questions, send me an email.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Does anyone know what the expected number of rounds will be (assuming teams don't drop out at the last minute)?
Mike Bentley
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Does anyone know what the expected number of rounds will be (assuming teams don't drop out at the last minute)?
Last I heard was 3 brackets of 7, then re-bracketing into 3 brackets of 7, as has been the norm of years late with the surprisingly common field size of 21 teams.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

vandyhawk wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Does anyone know what the expected number of rounds will be (assuming teams don't drop out at the last minute)?
Last I heard was 3 brackets of 7, then re-bracketing into 3 brackets of 7, as has been the norm of years late with the surprisingly common field size of 21 teams.
From what I've been told, this is correct, and this means six games and a bye for each team, followed by another six games and a bye, for a total of fourteen rounds, plus a likely advantaged final, meaning a maximum of sixteen rounds will be played.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The above is correct.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

At the lunch break, Chicago, Irvine, Maryland, Illinois, and Stanford remain undefeated. The full playoff picture will emerge in about an hour and a half.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How many games have been played so far?

Edit: Actually, Charlie's question is more pertinent.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Has Charles been thrown out a window yet?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Going into the last round of regular play, Chicago, Brown, Maryland, and Illinois all still have mathematical chances of winning. More soon...
Matt Weiner
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Deesy Does It wrote:Has Charles been thrown out a window yet?
He did seriously get locked in a trunk.
Mike Bentley
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
This post definitely does not contain a long enough explanation of what happened.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

leftsaidfred wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
This post definitely does not contain a long enough explanation of what happened.
I've only heard about it briefly, but supposedly he was riding in the trunk of Jerry's car back from lunch for some reason as a joke. Then someone left him in there and left or something. He got out. Others can fill in details.
Mike Bentley
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thanks to epic reporter Evan Silberman, we received word via IRC that Chicago beat Brown in a very, very tense 230-225 victory that came down to the last bonus part, which Brown failed to convert. This was in the first game of their advantaged final.

I believe Maryland finished third, with Illinois fourth.

Congratulations to all the top finishers!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Results: ACF Nationals 2008 - Chicago Wins!

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just received confirmation that Minnesota won the undergraduate championship, defeating Dartmouth in the final.

Also, Minnesota won the award for best packet submitted.
Fred Morlan
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Top 3 was indeed Chicago, Brown, Maryland.

Minnesota won the undergrad title, defeating Dartmouth in a final after finishing exactly tied with them in the top playoff bracket. Harvard A was third UG.

In D2, Minnesota was also the champion, followed by Harvard B and Dartmouth B.

Thanks especially to the MIT moderators and Brandeis's own Evan Nagler who made this event possible. I hope all the teams enjoyed a fully packed day of high-level quizbowl.
Matt Weiner
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Congratulations to Chicago and Minnesota for winning their respective titles. I watched the overall final between Brown and Chicago, and it was definitely one of the best matches I've ever seen, ending in a 230-225 Chicago victory. All I have to say is that it was a privilege to create this tournament for such a great field, and I hope everyone had a good time. We'll be posting the set soon after a few adjustments.
Eric Kwartler
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Thanks to everyone for coming out to Brandeis, and thanks to Eric Kwartler, Ryan Westbrook, Matt Weiner, and everyone else who contributed to the set for making this tournament great. I had an excellent time splitting my time between playing and staffing, and I'd like to thank everyone who came to staff, allowing us to host the tournament here.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Thanks must go out to the motley crew of talented editors who were willing to help us on short notice after some of our staff quit. They are:

Matt Lafer - physics
Wesley Matthews - physics and earth science
Dan Goff - computer science
Raj Bhan - biology
Jason Paik - biology
Matthew Nance - music
Fred Morlan - trash

Thanks also to Ezequiel Berdichevsky and Dave Letzler for their freelance half-packets.

I am pretty sure that's everyone, but if I forgot someone please let me know so we can make sure everyone who helped is acknowledged.
Eric Kwartler
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stats are now up at:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acfstats/prel ... dings.html and http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acfstats/play ... dings.html

A note on the forfeits: A bunch of teams randomly decided to play with people from other schools in the playoffs. When said teams were in contention for the top 4 UG or D2 spots, I declared the individual games forfeits to preserve their non-exhibition status. When the teams were not in contention, I removed UG/D2 status and retroactively declared them exhibition teams, and counted all the stats for those games. In other words, teams got whatever the best possible outcome for their particular situation was, even though they did something kind of dumb.

As it turned out, nobody finished differently in the UG or D2 standings than they would have if those games were counted, though the overall standings in the bottom bracket shifted a bit.
Matt Weiner
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

It should be noted that "decided" to play with other people isn't exactly the right term. Our special guest was basically just foisted on us.

EDIT: Also, the score for the Chicago-Brown final is incorrect. The stats show 240-205 when it was 230-225.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Congrats to Chicago on their win. Here's a random question - does anyone remember a previous national championship team with more women than guys? Not sure how this thought struck me, but it's just out of curiosity that I ask.
Susan

Post by Susan »

There were definitely two previous ACF championship teams with equal numbers of girls and guys (Chicago in 2000 and A&M two years ago), but there hasn't been an ACF winner with more girls. Not sure about other formats, but I would guess not.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

marnold wrote:It should be noted that "decided" to play with other people isn't exactly the right term. Our special guest was basically just foisted on us.

EDIT: Also, the score for the Chicago-Brown final is incorrect. The stats show 240-205 when it was 230-225.
Yeah, I had been told 230-225 as well, but the scoresheet I have says 240-205 so I put that in. If someone else was keeping score, send me what you have.
Matt Weiner
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

myamphigory wrote:There were definitely two previous ACF championship teams with equal numbers of girls and guys (Chicago in 2000 and A&M two years ago)
Also last year.
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hmm, you make a good point.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF