Results: ACF Nationals 2008 - Chicago Wins!

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Results: ACF Nationals 2008 - Chicago Wins!

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:35 am

Combined prelim/playoff stats are up at

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acfstats/total_standings.html .

Remember that it is the playoff stats, not the total stats, which determined final placement in the tournament.

Also, I did some difficulty metrics for the last two editions of both NAQT and ACF nationals:

Tossup pct = total percentage of all tossups asked to all teams in all games that were answered correctly
APPK = adjusted points per thousand available (powers and negs discounted) scored over all games
Total bonus conversion is for the whole field as a unit, median bonus conversion is calculated from the BCs of each team.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:01 am

Matt Weiner wrote:Combined prelim/playoff stats are up at

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acfstats/total_standings.html .

Remember that it is the playoff stats, not the total stats, which determined final placement in the tournament.

Also, I did some difficulty metrics for the last two editions of both NAQT and ACF nationals:

Tossup pct = total percentage of all tossups asked to all teams in all games that were answered correctly
APPK = adjusted points per thousand available (powers and negs discounted) for all teams/games
Total bonus conversion is for the whole field as a unit, median bonus conversion is calculated from the BCs of each team.
Interesting. I guess it confirms what I felt - that this year's ICT had harder bonuses than '07, and that the last two editions of ACF Nats were pretty similar. I think the slightly higher overall stats for this year is probably due to having a stronger field top to bottom compared with last year rather than any significant differences in the questions.

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 am

To address vandyhawk's point: wondering if it's possible to compare just the teams who competed at both the NAQT ICT and ACFN and do the comparisons. It would take a bit more time, but it could be a much better comparison to gauge difficulty of the questions for this group of teams (though we cannot always completely control for rosters).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter » Tue May 13, 2008 4:20 pm

So, if you have not paid for ACF nationals, please email me at ekwartler at gmail dot com. If you know how much you owe, please include that. If not, please include the date you submitted a packet and whether you brought buzzers that were used. Also, if I still haven't sent you an invoice and you need one, let me know and I'll get on that.

Eric
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law