On Broken Judge Cords

Old college threads.
wilmotraid
Kimahri

On Broken Judge Cords

Post by wilmotraid »

In my infinite stupidity, I pulled on the judge power cord too hard and severed the power adapter from the judge.

I'd like to have it fixed instead of replacing the judge. What recourse do I have?

If people are confused about what the Judge power cord is, it's that thin cord that provides power for the Judge. If people need an explanation of what power is, I can, but on request only.

Thanks for any help,

-Jason Luna, UC Irvine Quizbowl....president?
Lindsay Lo
Caught With Blow
Now to jail she must Go

-Candy Spelling
ArloLyle
Lulu

Post by ArloLyle »

Okay, I'm not sure which end is broken off, though my solution works either way I would assume. If the cord is still attached to the judge but only the power adapter is detached there should be a couple of screws on the power adapter, loosen these and take out whatever is there. The power cord should be a single cord with two groups of wires. Strip the cable back and make sure the two groups stay separated. Then wind one group around one screw and the other around the other screw. When I did this I wasn't sure which wires went where so I just picked arbitrarily and it worked. I'm not an EE so I don't know if I just got lucky.

If the entire cable was detached from the judge, there should be a similar connection inside, but I can't attest to this.

It should be noted that when I did this it was on an extremely old judge (one of the 8 buzzer models) and I have no clue if the design has changed over years (somehow I doubt it), so my solution may be useless to you.

Also, I realize this probably isn't the most ideal way to fix a judge, but I have fixed a few in similar fashion.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

If the problem is just the adapter Electramatic can send you a new one with minimal difficulty. I've replaced that part after a student tripped over the cord.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

You can send it back to have them repair it. I don't know the cost but it really shouldn't be that much
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hey dude,
This shouldn't be too hard to fix. Respond to Arlo's post upthread about exactly what's wrong and we'll work on it. You can also send it back; Electramatic has been very responsive when we've had problems with ours (if somewhat slow.)

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
wilmotraid
Kimahri

Re: Which end is broken off

Post by wilmotraid »

I detached the power cord at the adapter end. In other words, I have a full length of cord, and then the wall plug with a very small amount of severed cord coming out of it.
Lindsay Lo
Caught With Blow
Now to jail she must Go

-Candy Spelling
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

The power cord to my Judge also pulled apart like this. I just run it on battery power. The batteries last for years before they need replacing.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Okay, so you can strip the ends with a wire stripper, then re-attach them with a couple wire nuts, then electrical tape the whole thing back up. No problem. Just do it when it's not plugged-in.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

I think we will go with the battery idea. That power cord is a big mess, anyway.

We'll just make Jason pay for the batteries.
wilmotraid
Kimahri

Judge batteries

Post by wilmotraid »

What kind (size) of batteries does the judge run on?
Lindsay Lo
Caught With Blow
Now to jail she must Go

-Candy Spelling
wilmotraid
Kimahri

Battery Issue

Post by wilmotraid »

The little thing inside the Judge says "C" batteries. I bought C batteries, and put them in. So far, the only way the Judge "works" is that it makes a low squealing noise and doesn't operate at all.

Any tips on battery insertion, or how my battery pack might be an issue?

-Jason
Lindsay Lo
Caught With Blow
Now to jail she must Go

-Candy Spelling
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

Yes, the Judge uses C batteries. I don't think I've had the squealing problem that you describe. You might try reinserting them, since the plastic casing that holds the batteries is a little flimsy (although I have no problems with the batteries coming loose once inserted). Also make sure the switch from AC to battery is fully pushed to the battery side. Otherwise, I would guess that you have defective unit. If all goes to plan, you'll enter a new, cordless world of outdoor quizbowl and quizbowl while driving. Good luck!
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I re-arranged the batteries and got the Judge to work during practice. Another club member took the Judge to the lab to see if he can fix the cord. I think we're good for now.