How much does your college NOT support quizbowl

Old college threads.
wd4gdz
Tidus

How much does your college NOT support quizbowl

Post by wd4gdz »

I tried reserving rooms for the upcoming tournaments FSU was hosting and got this email in reply.

"Unfortunately your request for rooms for the College Bowl at FSU is regretfully declined due to utilities savings"

NoahMinkCHS
Yuna

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

What?!? Are you kidding? That's unbelievable. Is it just the building you wanted, or is it for the campus in general? It's nuts either way, although at least they used both "unfortunately" and "regretfully" to help soothe the sting...

I can understand colleges not actively supporting programs -- they can't fund everything, after all -- but actively discouraging it seems even more ridiculous. Best of luck with straightening this out.

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The college bowl team at Northwestern was derecognized for this semester because the "student government" was tired and the vote on recognition was late in the evening, and people just wanted to go home and randomly voted yes or no.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Nice to see we have informed administrations in college like high school... that has got to the most ridiculousness answer that I have heard.. beats the one I got last year when I asked about using our high school.. you can us the building but you can't use any of the rooms...

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

How stupid are some people when it comes to running things? Seriously, folks.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Don't sweat it, Billy. Just require all of us coming to bring candles and/or a Coleman lantern. Maybe you can get a really big abacus for keeping stats. And some undergrads from the theology dept. can scribe the questions, so you don't have to use electricity or toner in the copier.

Presumably the university has a lot of burden in paying off the buyout clauses of all those asst. football coaches they toasted last January.

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

DumbJaques wrote:The college bowl team at Northwestern was derecognized for this semester because the "student government" was tired and the vote on recognition was late in the evening, and people just wanted to go home and randomly voted yes or no.
If there are women or minorities on the team, there is lawsuit potential here. Sure it is being somewhat of a jerk but if a student government is going to abrogate its duty like that then I fail to see what is gained from not playing the right cards.

In addition, there are probable violations of college policy. Capricious de-recognizing of legitimate organizations doesn't seem like the sort of thing a student government ought to be doing.

As for Billy's issue ... I fail to see what an increase in the reservation fee could not solve here ... also seems capricious.

Aaron Kashtan
Lulu

Re: How much does your college NOT support quizbowl

Post by Aaron Kashtan »

wd4gdz wrote:I tried reserving rooms for the upcoming tournaments FSU was hosting and got this email in reply.

"Unfortunately your request for rooms for the College Bowl at FSU is regretfully declined due to utilities savings"
Sadly, I'm not too surprised to hear this given what little I know about FSU's budgetary problems.

kactigger
Lulu

Post by kactigger »

So what exactly are you going to do for your upcoming tournaments?

No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

If there are women or minorities on the team, there is lawsuit potential here.
Of all the things I've read on this forum (and posted myself), this may well be the craziest and most unfortunate.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

wd4gdz wrote:"Unfortunately your request for rooms for the College Bowl at FSU is regretfully declined due to utilities savings"
Signed: the Redundant Department of Redundancy Affairs
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I'm reminded of a quote I recently saw on Doonesbury.
Phoebe Buffay wrote:I wish I could help, but I don't want to.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

grapesmoker wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:"Unfortunately your request for rooms for the College Bowl at FSU is regretfully declined due to utilities savings"
Signed: the Redundant Department of Redundancy Affairs
Eh, not really. FSU is pissed that they have to be regretful about it.