TRASH Southeast Regionals (11/10/07) at UT-Chattanooga

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

TRASH Southeast Regionals (11/10/07) at UT-Chattanooga

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

UT-Chattanooga will host TRASH Regionals on Saturday, Nov. 10.
This is of course an open tournament with no school affiliation required.

Tournament registration will begin at 9:15 AM, Eastern time, in Grote Hall, room 129. We'll have announcements at 9:45 AM and begin tournament play at 10 AM. The tournament length depends on how many teams, etc., but figure maybe 7 to 8 PM..

As UTC's TRASH connection, John Kilby will serve as tournament director, assisted by Nikki Poarch and Charlie Steinhice.

If you plan to attend, all we need to know in advance is how many teams you'll bring. Please send this information to utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com.

Tournament fees are fairly simple:
First team: $90
Second team: $80
Third team: $70
Fourth team and beyond: $65, with a $5 discount per team until $50
Dedicated staff: -$10
Working buzzers: -$5 per set
You can earn a further $25 discount for either or both of the following:
> Submit a freelance trash packet for UTC's use by Fri. 11/9 -- this applies only for those who are not planning to attend TrashMasters on Dec. 1
> Submit a freelance academic packet for UTC's future use by Fri. 11/9. This should be written at a level appropriate for high school or collegiate "junior bird" tournaments.

If you need packet specification, distribution, etc., please contact Charlie at SteinhiceC [at] comcast [dot] net.

DIRECTIONS:

* From Atlanta and points south -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 west towards downtown, then follow the freeway splitoff for U.S. 27 North, downtown Chattanooga. From 27 North take the 4th Street exit, within sight of the Tennessee Aquarium. Go right on 4th St. (you have no choice) and follow it for ca. 1 mile. Go past the UTC Arena, after which E. 4th St. becomes part of E. 3rd St. After that, take the second right onto Palmetto St. Go two blocks and turn right onto Vine St. (just past the EMCS Building.) Just before the place where Vine St. is blocked off, the parking lot for Holt is on the right.

* From Knoxville and points north -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I- 24 West; directions from there same as above.

* From Nashville and points west/north: Take I-24 east to Chattanooga. As you round Moccasin Bend (freeway goes alongside river) watch for two exit lanes on the right; take the less rightward of the two, which will have signs above it for U.S. 27 N. Rest of directions are the same as above.

* From Birmingham and points southwest: Take I-59 to the outskirts of Chattanooga, where it dead-ends into I-24. Get on I-24 East and follow the Nashville directions from there.
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

A field update for Saturday:

Georgia Alums + Student
Rollins, Kearney, et. al
Tulane (2 Teams)
UTC Alums and Friends

If any of the following applies to you...

- your team is not on the list but you did notify us you were coming
- your team is not on the list but you would like to play (plenty of room is available)
- the number of teams you are bringing is listed incorrectly above
- you'd like to come as a free agent
- you have an open roster spot(s) and would be interested in a free agent(s)

... then please e-mail us ASAP (utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com), preferably today.

If the field stays small, we will probably have a double round-robin with playoffs as necessary. If the field size increases substantially, we will probably switch to a single round-robin followed by playoffs, Swiss pairings, or something of that nature.

Otherwise, we'll see everyone Saturday morning in Grote 129 between 9:15 and 9:45 AM.
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

Congratulations to Pasty White Skolniks (Megan Clancy, Chris Hendry, Michael Kearney, Al Pryzgocki, and Dren Rollins), winners of the 2007 TRASH Southeast Regionals. The tournament MVP was Joseph Dion of While My Guitar Hero Gently Weeps.

In spite of the limited attendance due to transportation and schedule issues for many of the usual suspects, we still had an small but enjoyable tournament. My thanks especially to those who helped with running the tournament. These folks include fellow TRASH member Anthony Bush and TRASH alum James Dinan, who served as moderators for the day. Thanks also to Dave Leach for coming to read (though he was ultimately drafted as a free agent). Also thanks to the members of the UTC ATA, including Shannon Edmondson, Wally Edmondson, Nikki Poarch, Charlie Steinhice, and Shane Sawyer, for their assistance before and after the tournament.

Now, for more detailed results:

After a triple round-robin, the last place team decided to retire. The remaining three teams agreed to having a playoff with advantage based on the round-robin. The round-robin results were as follows:

1. Pasty White Skolnicks (8-1)
2. The No-Name Trilogy Quartet (5-4)
3. While My Guitar Hero Gently Weeps (4-5)
4. Girlie Show (1-8)

Full stats are available at the ridiculously-long URL here:
http://www.terminallytrivial.com/quizbo ... dings.html

By virtue of their record, Pasty White Skolniks earned a bye into the finals. In the semi-finals, The No-Name Trilogy Quartet held the advantage due to their record (additionally, they previously went 2-1 against While My Guitar Hero Gently Weeps). WMGHGW won the first semi-final round 310-140, forcing a shootout that they also won 120-80. Since PWS had a 3-0 head-to-head record against WMGHGW (meaning that WMGHGW would have to had played and won three more rounds just to force a shootout), WMGHGW decided to retire and allow PWS to claim first place. Note that had NNTQ moved on, they had a 1-2 record against PWS, meaning that they only needed to win one game to force a shootout. A bit confusing, but all teams were in agreement of both the procedure and the results.

So after all of that, the final results were as follows.

1. Pasty White Skolnicks
2. While My Guitar Hero Gently Weeps
3. The No-Name Trilogy Quartet
4. Girlie Show

Again, thanks to all the players and staff for making my first TD'ing experience a pleasant one.
Last edited by Kilby on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Kilby wrote: Dren Rollins
1. Patsy White Skolnicks (8-1)

Full stats are available at the ridiculously-long URL here:
http://www.terminallytrivial.com/quizbo ... dings.html

1. Patsy White Skolnicks

Man, its a shame that idiot droopy-dog pig banger is still alive. He should've taken Weiner's advice.
drollins
Lulu

Post by drollins »

For those who may take issue with the name listed above, I would like to correct it. It should be *Pasty* White Skolniks. I would like to take this time to formally apologize to Patsy, whomever she may be.
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

drollins wrote:For those who may take issue with the name listed above, I would like to correct it. It should be *Pasty* White Skolniks.
I have made this correction in both the post and in the SQBS stats.