ANNOUNCEMENT: Nole Bowl III: Terror and Decorum

Old college threads.
wd4gdz
Tidus

ANNOUNCEMENT: Nole Bowl III: Terror and Decorum

Post by wd4gdz »

This is the announcement for Nole Bowl III: Terror and Decorum. It is a mirror of Penn Bowl. It will be held on Janurary 26, 2008 at Florida State University. All packet guidelines can be found at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/pennbowl2008.html though I will summarize pertinent info below.

The editing team will be headed by Matt Weiner, who can be reached at weinerm at vcu dot edu. All packets should be submitted to him, as should any questions pertaining to packet format or mirrors. Other questions about the tournament itself should be directed to Billy Beyer (fsucollegebowl at yahoo dot com).

Pertinent monetary discounts/penalties are as follows and will be applied to registration fees:
Submitted by November 25: -$50
Submitted by December 9: -$20
Submitted by December 23: $0
Submitted by December 30 +$20
Submitted by January 6 +$50
No packet submitted by January 6: Dropped from tournament or charged an exorbitant amount to play, depending on field size.

Teams comprised entirely of players who did not play a regular collegiate academic tournament prior to September 1, 2006 do not have to submit packets. However, you have the option of submitting a packet if you want to, under this schedule:

Submitted by December 9: -$50
Submitted by December 30: -$20

The general distribution is as follows, though there are specific subcategories found at the website above:
Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion, Mythology and Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Social Science 1/1
Geography 1/1
Trash, current events, or your choice 1/1

Details regarding registration info, specific locations, tournament format, etc. are forthcoming. You can post tentative registrations or questions here or direct them to the people above.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Any particular reason to host this the same day as Sword Bowl at UTC? I know Sword Bowl is designed as a juniorbird, but it might be nice for southeastern teams to get a chance to play both if the Penn Bowl mirror could happen the next week. I suppose this may not affect that many people, but just thought I'd put it out there.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I can think of three reasons off the top of my head, but there are probably more:

1) Some teams in Florida don't like driving 7+ hours to go to tournament. In this case, the drive is only 2-4 hours, and teams won't be getting home at the unsafe hour of 4AM.

2) Not everyone likes the questions at Sword Bowl, especially the tossups on RNA that begin by mentioning it contains uracil.

3) According to the announcement: "You may only run the tournament on Saturday, January 26, or Sunday, January 27; no mirrors for later weekends will be allowed, in order to encourage open discussion of the question set once Penn Bowl is over. "
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

wd4gdz wrote:I can think of three reasons off the top of my head, but there are probably more:

1) Some teams in Florida don't like driving 7+ hours to go to tournament. In this case, the drive is only 2-4 hours, and teams won't be getting home at the unsafe hour of 4AM.

2) Not everyone likes the questions at Sword Bowl, especially the tossups on RNA that begin by mentioning it contains uracil.

3) According to the announcement: "You may only run the tournament on Saturday, January 26, or Sunday, January 27; no mirrors for later weekends will be allowed, in order to encourage open discussion of the question set once Penn Bowl is over. "
Yeah, I knew 1 and 2 would likely be the answers, though I had missed 3. It was honestly some selfishness on my part, since I won't be able to compete at any TIT/MLK mirrors and likely will also miss any locations of Penn Bowl since that's the time of the biggest week-long research conference in my field.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

[quote="wd4gdz"]the tossups on RNA that begin by mentioning it contains uracil. /quote]

Yikes, when did this happen?

I do remember a trash tossup on Neuromancer that mentioned Case in the first line.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

One of the most egregious editing fallacies ever.

2006 Sword Bowl.

My team lost that match by 5 in OT, I believe. As other teams were leaving their matches, cries of "It couldn't be RNA! That's just too damn obvious!" were coming from down the hall...(of course, the other team buzzed in with RNA immediately)

My goodness, how could this question pass the standards of any editing process?
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

It's my bad for semi-starting it, but this thread needs less UTC bashing and more teams signing up and/or expressing interest.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

In case anyone is curious, here is the aforementioned RNA tossup from 2006 Sword Bowl.

They consist of urasil, adenine, guanine, and cytosine bound in a tight, single strand, and a characteristic hydroxyl group allows hydrolysis, making them slightly unstable. In cells, they can assist in gene regulation, and certain types are involved in cancer growth. Most varieties are assoicated with the formation of proteins. For ten points, identify these nucleic acids, not to be confused with the larger, and more complex, DNA.

Answer: RNA or Ribonucleic Acid
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Registration will begin at 8am. There will be a team meeting at 830am, and the first round will begin at 9am. The registration fee for the tournament is $100 per team. A $5 discount will be given for each working buzzer.

I'm hoping to have around a 10-team field, so that we can do a round robin and then have playoffs. When you sign up, I'll send out more details about the tournament location, lunch, hotels, etc. If you have any questions before that, feel free to ask.

In conclusion, please come to this tournament, kthnx.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

yeah billy, rickards or a tally hs team will be fielded.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Field update:

Chipola CC
Valencia CC 2
USF 2
Rickards HS
House

we got an extra two rooms (for a total of 5) so there's still space available
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Congrats to the USF Grothe (Ahmad Ragab et al) for winning Nole Bowl III: Terror and Decorum, a mirror of Penn Bowl.

For stats, check out:
http://www.geocities.com/fsucollegebowl ... dings.html

P.S. For those of you who are curious, we played 7 prelim rounds. Afterwards, we took the top 4 and bottom 4 and they played a mini round robin, for a complete total of 10 games.

EDIT:

My bad. Shortly afterwards, I decided to make sub-folders for all the tournaments we've had and to clean up the directory. I had forgotten to make the change on here. The link should work now.
Last edited by wd4gdz on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stats link doesn't work.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I figured out that if one goes to.

http://www.geocities.com/fsucollegebowl/

They can click on College Tournament Results, scroll to the bottom, and click on team stats or individual stats to access the results.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010