Illinois Open 2007 Discussion

Old college threads.
millionwaves
Auron

Illinois Open 2007 Discussion

Post by millionwaves » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Well, now that it's all over, I guess it's a good time to start talking about it.

Although I can't say that the tournament was perfect, I was reasonably happy with how it turned out. I realize that some categories were stronger than others, and that there was at least a standard amount of bad questions. For the ones that were bad, I apologize; I think a lot of us, some of us editing for the first time, learned a lot about quizbowl. I doubt we'll make the same mistakes twice.

As the person who tried to coordinate the efforts of 8 people (sometimes not the same 8 people), I'd really like to thank Mike. This set owes an enormous amount to his work; without his effort and willingness to put up with a bunch of our questions (especially my thousand "how difficult is x topic"s), there probably wouldn't have been IO this year. Steven Canning, also, deserves a lot of thanks for writing us a packet mostly by himself, and then also writing his share of the other questions for the two communal house packets.

I'd also really like to thank Ray Luo and the fine people from the West Coast who wrote us a freelance packet; your questions, if they haven't already, will soon be sent by fastest e-mail.

I'll also go ahead and specifically identify myself as responsible for the literature (except for a couple of world literature questions) and for painting/painters. Any hate and/or love for those questions can be directed towards me. As a first time editor, I know that I learned a lot about writing and what not to do. (Also, how much of a time commitment even editing only two categories is.) For the clunkers that still escaped me, I'm sorry, and I'll know better for next time.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't thank Andrew Hart and co. for their fine literature tournament, Ryan Westbrook for his doubles tournament, and Matt Weiner for creating the first ever live ACF Pyramid tournament. I know that ACF Pyramid, in particular, is something that I hope to see a lot of people doing.

If you came and still need a copy of the set, please let me know at trygvemeade@gmail.com. Thanks to everyone who turned out; hopefully, next year's IO will draw the same sort of field, or even more.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom

geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

what's ACF Pyramid?

Mike Bentley
Auron

Post by Mike Bentley » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:46 pm

geekjohnson wrote:what's ACF Pyramid?
http://www.doc-ent.com/qbwiki/index.php ... CF_Pyramid
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 am

So I should go on the record and say that I had an unbelievably fun time at the Illinois Open. There were problem questions, yes, and perhaps a few problem packets. But in general, this tournament ran smoothly and was well-written, and it's impossible to complain about the field that the tournament drew. It also says a lot that people were excited to play on the extra playoff packets (which was just one of the many fun side events that made this a great tournament).

No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 pm

I should also say something in praise of the success of IO weekend. Yeah, there were some questions in the main IO packets that were iffy...but as a whole the tournament was capable and, I think, quite entertaining for a field containing several really solid players. That says a lot for the editing and execution of this event, which was seemingly in doubt just a couple months ago.

More generally, I think that weekends like this IO weekend are what serious quizbowl should be all about - a full weekend of quality qb with several entertaining events and a competitive field. This is a paradigm that I hope can be sustained and repeated with some regularity.