ANNOUNCEMENT: Sword Bowl Mirror (02/02/2008) at Drake

Old college threads.
Strongside
Rikku

ANNOUNCEMENT: Sword Bowl Mirror (02/02/2008) at Drake

Post by Strongside »

This is the preliminary announcement for Drake's Sword Bowl Mirror to be held on February 2nd, 2008. The tournament is one week later than when UTC is hosting Sword Bowl, as we definitely do not want to have the tournament the same day as Truman State's Penn Bowl Mirror.

Teams attending this tournament do not have to submit packets. We are not planning on having a discount for submitting packets, but if you really want to submit a packet let me know. The UTC announcement is here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4653

The tournament will be CUT Style with some exceptions. Graduate students and people not enrolled in school will be able to play solo. As for CUT rules they are listed on NAQT's website. http://www.naqt.com/hosting/cut-style.html

In short, if you are elgible to play NAQT Division 2 you can play on a team of four provided that all members of the team are Divison 2 Eligible.

If you are inelgible to play Division 2, but have not averaged 2.5 or more tossups playing at the ICT in Division 1 (that's 2.5 tossups a game and not 25 points per game) you can play on a team of two provided your teammate fits the same category.

If you averaged more than 2.5 tossups at an ICT playing in Division 1 you have to play solo.

Graduate students and people not in school have to play solo.

If you have questions and/or clarifications about your elgibility feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and/or out team president at [email protected]

Edit: We decided on the tournament fee structure.

Base Fee: $60.

Fee for each subsequent team from the same school: $50.

Travel Discount: $5 for traveling 200-400 miles one-way, $10 for traveling more than 400 miles one-way.

Buzzer Discount: $5 per buzzer, maximum of $10 in buzzer discounts for each team.

Moderator Discount: $10 moderator discount.

Drake University Alumni Discount: Drake Alums can play for $30.

Minimum Fee: $30.

The format will likely be some sort of round robin, possibly followed by a playoff or an advantage final.

We don't have a specific limit on the number of teams we can accommodate, but we can't accommodate unlimited teams. Last year we had 18 teams. The tentative registration deadline is January 21. If you want to register e-mail our club president Steve Wise at: [email protected]

More details will be posted when we decide on them. If you have any questions or if there are important things I left out, you can e-mail me or post in this thread.
Last edited by Strongside on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I'm interested but I will have to see about the interest for this given the craziness of that semester's tournament schedule already and our funding situation.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I updated the pricing for the tournament in the first post.

As of now the tentative field is:

University of Iowa: 2 teams
Carleton College: 4 teams
Truman State: 2 teams
Quentin Roper playing solo
Chad Kubicek playing solo

If you want to play in this tournament e-mail our team president Steve Wise to register at [email protected]
Last edited by Strongside on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Byrne

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Base Fee: $60.

Fee for each subsequent team from the same school: $50.

Travel Discount: $5 for traveling 200-400 miles one-way, $10 for traveling more than 400 miles one-way.

Buzzer Discount: $5 per buzzer, maximum of $10 in buzzer discounts for each team.

Moderator Discount: $10 moderator discount.

Drake University Alumni Discount: Drake Alums can play for $30.

Minimum Fee: $30.

ummm yeah ... I don't see why we couldn't make it given that pricing.

I would tentatively put Truman State down for 2 teams but that could turn into one if I don't receive enough interest.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Sword Bowl Mirror (02/02/2008) at Drake

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

bjb87 wrote:Drake University Alumni Discount: Drake Alums can play for $30.
Read: Quentin Roper. :razz:
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
qroper224
Lulu

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Sword Bowl Mirror (02/02/2008) at Drake

Post by qroper224 »

Weekend at Bernadette's wrote:
bjb87 wrote:Drake University Alumni Discount: Drake Alums can play for $30.
Read: Quentin Roper. :razz:
U R 2 crazy...
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

As for the pricing for this tournament, I want to make it affordable for teams as I realize most teams don't have an unlimited budget. There is also no chance for teams to get a discount for packet submission at this tournament, unless a team really wants to write a packet.

Also, since it is a CUT tournament, there are certain restrictions on who can play. Some schools will bring more teams to this tournament than they otherwise would because of the restrictions.

If any teams are having serious financial trouble and still want to come you can e-mail me at [email protected] I wouldn't want anyone to not be able to come to this tournament for financial reasons.
Brendan Byrne

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Bump.
Last edited by Strongside on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brendan Byrne

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Especially with such a full field, it's very possible that we will need more packets for the mirror than for Sword Bowl itself. Come to think of it, Sword Bowl could use some backup too. SO....

If you are planning to attend the mirror and want to reduce your fees even further, get a packet to me (SteinhiceC at comcast dot net) by 1/19 and UTC will pay $15 worth of your fees to Drake. If we wind up not needing it for Sword Bowl or the Drake mirror, we can still use it for our March 1 high school tournament, or for the Moon Pie Classic. For planning purposes, if you plan to take me up on the offer, please let me know soon. Thanks.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Your Genial Quizmaster wrote:Especially with such a full field, it's very possible that we will need more packets for the mirror than for Sword Bowl itself. Come to think of it, Sword Bowl could use some backup too. SO....

If you are planning to attend the mirror and want to reduce your fees even further, get a packet to me (SteinhiceC at comcast dot net) by 1/19 and UTC will pay $15 worth of your fees to Drake. If we wind up not needing it for Sword Bowl or the Drake mirror, we can still use it for our March 1 high school tournament, or for the Moon Pie Classic. For planning purposes, if you plan to take me up on the offer, please let me know soon. Thanks.
If you want to submit a packet for this tournament, we are willing to let you play for less than 30 dollars if you submit enough packets to do so. The lowest we'll go is zero dollars, so in other words we won't pay you to come to our meet, but if you submit enough packets. we will let you play for free.

In other words if your fee would be 45 dollars, each packet e-mailed to Charlie would be a 15 dollar discount, until you got down to zero.
Brendan Byrne

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Edited this post out to bump thread.
Last edited by Strongside on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Byrne

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Here is an updated field.

Iowa (3)
Carleton (5)
Iowa State (2)
Wisconsin-Madison (5)
Truman State (2)
Grinnell (1)
Chad Kubicek Solo (1)
Quentin Roper Solo (1)
Joe Benedict Solo (1)

That gives us a 21 team field as of now.

We officially have rooms in Meredith Hall. Meredith is the black building on campus. Here is a map of Drake's campus. The meeting room is room 101.

For parking I would recommend parking in the Olmsted lot, which is marked on the map in the diagonal purple lines. That parking lot is located between Morehouse and Aliber, and is close to the building where the tournament is being held. The other parking lots are permit only or event/permit only, and so I wouldn't recommend parking there.

The plan is for registration to take place from 8-8:45, and for the matches to start at 9 or a little after 9.

The tentative format is to break the field into two or three brackets, and have teams play a round robin in their bracket.

After that teams will likely play a few teams of similar records in the other bracket. We only have 12 packets, so that will dictate how many rounds can be played.

We will be printing out the questions, as opposed to reading them off the computer.

We are planning on guaranteeing teams at least 10 games.
Brendan Byrne

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I updated the field and some other things in the previous post.
Brendan Byrne

Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Quick Results

Teams:

1st place: Wisconsin B (Ezra Lyon)

2nd place: Iowa A (Paul Drube)

3rd place: Wisconsin A (Gabe Lyon)

4th place: Truman State B

Individuals

1. Paul Drube Iowa A

2. Ezra Lyon Wisconsin B

3. Garrett Ryan Carleton A

4. Gabe Lyon Wisconsin A

I will hopefully post full stats sometime. There a few things that need to be worked on, and then I will need probably need someone to put them online.

Brendan Byrne

ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

http://aco.truman.edu/OtherFiles/swordb ... dings.html

Prelim stats. If there are errors, let me know and I'll fix 'em.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

ecks wrote:http://aco.truman.edu/OtherFiles/swordb ... dings.html

Prelim stats. If there are errors, let me know and I'll fix 'em.
Thanks for putting these online and posting them.

In case anyone is wondering, we separated teams into two brackets, where they played nine preliminary games.

After that, each team played two games against teams from the other bracket of a similar record and rank. The top two teams from one bracket played the top two teams from the other bracket. 3 and 4 played 3 and 4 etc.

Individual standings were not kept for those last two games.

Wisconsin B won the tournament and finished 11-0, and Iowa A finished second at 10-1.
Brendan Byrne