Honda Challenge

Old college threads.
Locked
User avatar
KGeee
Wakka
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: Announcement: NAQT Northeast SCT at Brown (2/9/2007)

Post by KGeee »

I'd just like to voice my disappointment that the SCT's coincide with the Pre-NCT's for HCASC. Would have loved to have attended both.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Unfortunately there is almost zero communication between Honda Challenge quizbowl teams and the rest of the circuit barring yourself, Kyle. I think we'd all be interested in changing this somehow, and if you know how to help with that I think we'd all be pretty appreciative. In the meantime, could you post the calendar of Honda Challenge stuff somewhere (not in this thread, but you get the drift)?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8414
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Matt Weiner »

Deesy Does It wrote:Unfortunately there is almost zero communication between Honda Challenge quizbowl teams and the rest of the circuit barring yourself, Kyle. I think we'd all be interested in changing this somehow, and if you know how to help with that I think we'd all be pretty appreciative. In the meantime, could you post the calendar of Honda Challenge stuff somewhere (not in this thread, but you get the drift)?
The calendar is here: http://www.hcasc.com/tmts/prenct.asp

It is probably not a coincidence that these tournaments are scheduled against NAQT Sectionals; College Bowl's stock in trade is keeping people in the dark about real quizbowl and milking money out of a captive audience.
User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Post by First Chairman »

But not all the tournaments are scheduled on the same weekend. There are "A" and "B" sets for teams to get practice beforehand.

It is actually rather interesting that there are these mini-circuit prep competitions. This is a notable improvement from the past. I may comtemplate going to help officiate if my schedule works well...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
User avatar
KGeee
Wakka
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Choctaw, OK

Post by KGeee »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Deesy Does It wrote:
The calendar is here: http://www.hcasc.com/tmts/prenct.asp

It is probably not a coincidence that these tournaments are scheduled against NAQT Sectionals; College Bowl's stock in trade is keeping people in the dark about real quizbowl and milking money out of a captive audience.
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread (move to a new topic?), but one of the main reasons many schools play HCASC is for the money. Your school gets 3000 dollars for attending Nationals, no matter how horrible you are and they pay for the plane tickets, food, and hotels in Orlando. If you are good, you get more-up to 50000 and our school has used the funds as our quiz bowl budget to travel to the two pre-nct's (we are secluded from almost every other HBCU, being in Oklahoma). With the money they've put into our program, you won't hear me complaining too loudly. That and the questions favor players who have never played quiz bowl before...you can get good at it in months time without ever having played in high school. We're still building our program from the ground up and don't have that many high school "quiz bowl" players enrolled at our school yet. As our program is improving, we're hoping to change that.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15569
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Post by AKKOLADE »

KGeee wrote:Don't mean to hi-jack the thread (move to a new topic?), but one of the main reasons many schools play HCASC is for the money. Your school gets 3000 dollars for attending Nationals, no matter how horrible you are and they pay for the plane tickets, food, and hotels in Orlando. If you are good, you get more-up to 50000 and our school has used the funds as our quiz bowl budget to travel to the two pre-nct's (we are secluded from almost every other HBCU, being in Oklahoma). With the money they've put into our program, you won't hear me complaining too loudly. That and the questions favor players who have never played quiz bowl before...you can get good at it in months time without ever having played in high school. We're still building our program from the ground up and don't have that many high school "quiz bowl" players enrolled at our school yet. As our program is improving, we're hoping to change that.
Question to satiate my curiosity - how much does it cost, on average, to attend nationals?

Also, $50k? Dag.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Sin
Posts: 6076
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Mike Bentley »

Someone really should get on finding some corporation to sponsor ACF Nationals.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
User avatar
KGeee
Wakka
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Choctaw, OK

Post by KGeee »

Question to satiate my curiosity - how much does it cost, on average, to attend nationals?

Also, $50k? Dag.[/quote]

It costs us nothing more than the gas to get to the airport and the parking fee to leave it there for five days. They pay for everything and then pay us(the school).
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8414
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Matt Weiner »

Interesting, I didn't know that. They used to do College Bowl that way when it was sponsored by Ford, though by the last time I heard the only thing that was sponsored was the entry fee for nationals (ie, there was none) and a few meals served at the tournament site. I wonder how much money College Bowl Inc is pocketing from Honda on top of their sponsorship for the teams...
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 1828
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:43 am

Post by Susan »

Matt wrote: Interesting, I didn't know that. They used to do College Bowl that way when it was sponsored by Ford, though by the last time I heard the only thing that was sponsored was the entry fee for nationals (ie, there was none) and a few meals served at the tournament site.
It was a little more than just the entry fee; CBI reimbursed travel for nationals up to some amount (I think it was $1500 last time I played) and I believe we were given $25 each along with a bag of beige CBI swag. The prizes for winners sound like they were considerably smaller for CBI than HCASC; the winner in 2003 (the last year CBI awarded money) got $10000. I want to say that the second- and third-place teams got money as well, but I'm not sure how much.
User avatar
cvdwightw
Auron
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 am
Location: Southern CA
Contact:

Post by cvdwightw »

Matt's more or less right about my experience in 2006; we were able to persuade the school to pay for airfare, but not hotel or rental car as far as I know. I know that some regional champions got a small travel stipend (to use to go to nationals) in addition to their prize for winning, but I think the highest I saw on the website was like $500. We got the standard CBI swag, and for winning got some semi-nice individual trophies and the big bowl that collected dust in the ASUCLA offices for about a year (I personally did not know that the trophy had even made it over to campus until one of the student government people stopped by our booth at the Enormous Activities Fair and mentioned that he had seen our trophy). I really want to know how much CBI paid to transport that thing so that Minnesota could hold it up in 2007. If they paid anything over gas reimbursement I'm laughing, given that the site of the trophy at that time was directly on the way of a 30-minute drive from corporate headquarters in Woodland Hills to the tournament site at USC.
wd4gdz
Tidus
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Post by wd4gdz »

cvdwightw wrote:...in addition to their prize for winning...
what's the prize for winning?
User avatar
r.g.anderson
Lulu
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Post by r.g.anderson »

wd4gdz wrote:
what's the prize for winning?
Trophies of various and sundry sorts. I know the region Minnesota's in has a traveling trophy.
Locked