63%
Option B
38%

Total votes: 8

Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Poll: Bizzare Trash Format

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 am

The format of TTGT11 was interesting. I liked the idea of tournaments where two packets would be read simultaneously and with eight player teams where they can divide up into different groups depending on what packet they preferred. Points would be distributed 1 for each winner and 1 for which ever team scored the most total points.

This got me thinking and I started entertaining the idea of making a tournament in this format. I immediately encountered a problem. I will put it to the masses to help determine which is the most likable.

Option A: Have rounds like those at TTGT11 with little overlap (ie, British History v Chemistry) playing at the same time. However, this may lead to some rounds such as British History v Chemistry to be followed by rounds like American History v Biology.

or

Option B: Have gimmicky and topic-oriented rounds, such as "Marvel" v "DC" and "Old Movies" v "New Movies". This format would result in such dichotomic rounds as "Cartoons" v "Live Action" or "The 300" vs "The Notebook".

In general I just want this board's opinion on having to have rounds with similar packets on both sides, "Console Games" vs "Computer Games", or unrelated packets, "Console Games vs Sonic Youth". The latter of which may result in "Computer Games" coming up later in the tournament (again, against something unrelated like "The Oscars").
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 am

To rain on the parade a little, the problem with this is the same as the problem with TTGT11 itself: theme packets are always a hit-or-miss proposition, and it's difficult enough to get 12 well-written regular packets together for a tournament, let alone 24 packets, let alone 24 packets written mostly on things that have never been questions before.

Mike Bentley
Auron

Post by Mike Bentley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:21 am

Yeah, writing that many packets is a big pain in the ass. Unless you have a dedicated cadre of writers who can produce 2 theme packets a piece, you're going to have a lot of trouble writing such a tournament. Even when you do end up getting decent enough writers, you'll still need to have a large editing crew to make sure everything evens out. A crew of myself and Paul Drube, along with lots of help from other experienced Maryland editors weren't able to fix all of the TTGT11 packets at this year's tournament to what they should have been.

You could possibly do something where like 10 of the questions in the two packets overlap, while the other 10 are different. This would at least save you some effort, as you'd only need to do 3/4th of the work, although it would still be 50% more effort than regular tournaments. Maybe make the 10 common questions be themed questions (i.e. general tossups with some non-stupid theme connecting them), while the 10 unique questions in each packet are subject questions (i.e. on videogames or what have you).

I probably have more to say on this subject, but I should get back to doing work. Maybe I'll comment some more tomorrow.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

clydeclod
Lulu

DUCK Bowl homage to TTGT11

Post by clydeclod » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am

Actually, DUCK Bowl at DePauw did this very thing with a trash tournament a couple years ago. We actually wrote 30 packets of 25 TU each. People came up with some ideas which worked well. We had one round in which you could make the ages-old choice between "Sex and Chocolate" (choosing to answer questions based on Sex and the City or a balanced trash packet with questions on the likes of Barbara Hershey).

Each writer was responsible for both packets in a round. We didn't use the 8-man teams that TTGT11 uses, but we allowed teams to split their four players however they wanted -- if they thought they had a better chance of taking the two games by going 3-1, they were allowed to do so. We awarded one point for a win in each individual match and two points for having the higher aggregate score over both matches in the round (ties were allowed in both the matches and the rounds).

Stan J.