NAQT SCT Results and ICT Invitations

Old college threads.
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: I wasn't as surprised that Faulkner got a wildcard spot as I was that South

snip

North Florida's (11-2) only two losses were both to Valencia Red (by only 30 in the championship game), and Broward (9-3) gave Valencia Red its only loss. Weirder still, South Georgia was 7-5. The overall strength of the Florida field sure seems stronger than that of Georgia, too.
Here's what NAQT's statistician has to say:
The main problem is the statement "The overall strength of the Florida field sure seems stronger than that of Georgia, too." This is untrue (and unsurprising; if you have 20 teams, odds are some are going to be weak) and it isn't even close: Georgia was the hardest CC SCT while Florida was barely above traditional weak sister Mississippi. To pull two numbers out of the air, Georgia teams converted 71% of tossups and averaged 12.5 on each bonus; FL teams 59.5% of tossups and averaged 10.7 on each bonus. This difference is exacerbated since Broward and North Florida were placed in the significantly weaker overall prelim pool.

Given this, it is unsurprising that South Georgia was ahead of North Florida; their raw stats are very equal, so the team playing the harder schedule should be considered better. It was much closer between South Georgia and Broward; I am not sure that, were I to make the choices personally, I wouldn't have Broward as the better team, especially given that their bonus advantage was 1.5 points, but South Georgia's ability to gain tossups against a brutal schedule carried the day in our formula.

Finally, while looking at South Georgia's 7-5 record, it is important to note that they had to play *6* games, fully half their schedule, against either Chipola or Georgia Perimeter, both of whom are fully deserving of their ICT spots. Going 1-5 against that twosome is not necessarily a killer. Note that Broward only went 2-3 against the other top teams in their Sectional, a group that, overall, was weaker than the Chipola/GPC group.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

msaifutaa wrote:If not, it's not a huge deal--it's just that the Northeast is a monster region these days, and there are not very many venues where our inexperienced or weaker players can play and improve against other teams closer to their level, so that just means this is one less. Well, I guess that just shows that we have demand for a JV tournament up here--maybe someone will pick that idea up (I know we had a Harvard/MIT freshman scirmmage this year with the same idea behind it).
This can probably be split off into a new thread, but Mark, you have a good point. On one hand, it can be very disheartening for new players to play against Jason Keller and co (in fact, its disheartening for anyone); at the same time, you don't want to baby your freshman into solely playing novice and D2 events.

I'd personally advocate D2 and undergrad awards at all tournaments, like we tried to do at EFT (had we compiled the stats in time). Also, I believe there will be a NE mirror of the Illinois Novice tournament at Harvard - the writing should be excellent, and I'd encourage you to take your freshmen there, as there will presumably be an age/skill cap of some sort.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
msaifutaa
Lulu

Post by msaifutaa »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote: This can probably be split off into a new thread, but Mark, you have a good point. On one hand, it can be very disheartening for new players to play against Jason Keller and co (in fact, its disheartening for anyone); at the same time, you don't want to baby your freshman into solely playing novice and D2 events.
What's even more disheartening is a field where Jason Keller and co come in 5th (and if one of the 10 teams in DI had been Brown fielding a DI team for the heck of it with you and Jerry, Rutgers could have been in the lower bracket--that's sobering!)
I'd personally advocate D2 and undergrad awards at all tournaments, like we tried to do at EFT (had we compiled the stats in time). Also, I believe there will be a NE mirror of the Illinois Novice tournament at Harvard - the writing should be excellent, and I'd encourage you to take your freshmen there, as there will presumably be an age/skill cap of some sort.
I agree that we should probably fork this if we want to keep discussing it, but I agree in general. In brief, I think that Novice tournaments or lower Divisions in at least a few tournaments a year (like if Harvard does Illinois) are the main answer. D2 awards at other tournaments are neat, but I'm not sure how much it might mean to give to a team that went, for instance, 2-11, but happens to be one of two with all sophomores or under. Then again, what impresses me most about our frosh this year is their tenacity in the face of some pretty obvious upcoming beatdowns (For instance, we got a whole team of frosh for Brandeis Deepbench), so who knows!