Announcement: Minnesota Open, October 18 2008

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Announcement: Minnesota Open, October 18 2008

Post by theMoMA »

What is going on here? The University of Minnesota is hosting its first ever open collegiate tournament weekend this October 18th. There will be lit, trash, and video games side events, which will take place on Friday night, Saturday night, and all of Sunday, respectively.

What about Deep Bench? Last year, we realized that there are a few issues with hosting a collegiate Deep Bench event. Aside from very difficult logistics, it puts a heavy strain on teams to submit two packets and to muster eight players. We somewhat reluctantly have decided to put the Deep Bench format on the shelf, so the Open itself will be a standard four-person-team circuit event. However, in honor of our singles/doubles roots...

Why "Weekend"? There is going to be a lot of quizbowl going on. The tournament editors will write two singles/doubles subject events as well as the main Minnesota Open quizbowl tournament. We will announce these sometime over the summer, but tentatively the subject tournaments will be literature and mythology. It's possible that we will write a third subject event, especially if we wind up partnering with someone who wants to help write a trash tournament for Sunday (partnering with GARBAGE seems a distinct possibility). At a minimum, there will be three events, and at max there will be five. We will announce these tournaments and their dates/times well in advance so that teams can make travel plans accordingly.

Who is editing? The Open itself will be a collaboration between the Minnesota team; Rob, Gautam, and I will be doing a lot of the work. Subject tournaments will also be collaborative, and more info will be available when we announce those. You can contact us at: [email protected] (me), cars0090 at umn . edu (Rob), or kand0028 at umn . edu (Gautam).

Who can come? This is a true open event, meaning that there are no eligibility requirements. At this point, we will require packet submission as a requirement for attendance, but this could change. Though top players have traditionally formed superteams at events like this, we'd like to give some incentive for teams to stick together. So non-mixed teams will be given a discount.

Target difficulty: The target difficulty for this event will be similar to that of the Deep Bench quads set last year, which is probably just a tick easier than Illinois Open or Cardinal Classic, but still comparable. Basically, we want any team that has played regular-difficulty events to be able to convert tossups and average at least one part per bonus answered. At the same time, we want the top teams to be challenged with the early clues, third parts of the bonuses, and a few tossup answers.

Target length: Please submit questions five lines or longer in 10-point Times New Roman font, with one inch margins [note: one inch is not always the default]. The more material we have to work with, the better.

Power tossups: There will likely be powers, but the editors will place them. Please don't powermark your submitted questions.

Formatting requirements: Please use the standard ACF style. Ten point, times new roman font with 1-inch margins. Please lump together all questions of a certain part of the distribution, preceded with "5/5 Literature" or whatever the heading may be.

1/1 Hilarious meta

Its creator lists "RETURN 2 DA PIT" as a personal favorite, and it is followed by Jared McGrath's "Jambalaya of the World's Cities and Soundscapes." Its first iteration featured a discussion about the Generation of 98 that culminated with an Antonio Machado poem being read by "Andrew from Minnesota," while the second version saw "Matt from Virginia's" discussion of Henrik Ibsen interrupted by a girl who apologized for being late for the next slot. For 10 points, name this "show about learning," hosted by a certain literature-loving Maryland quizbowler.
ANSWER: Unnamed Show 621 [accept Jonathan Magin's unnamed radio show or equivalents; prompt on Jonathan Magin]

A sacred text of this religion centers on the fifteen tasks undergone by Jerry to make himself fiercer, including entering Steinhice's "Bowl of Swords." For 10 points each:
[10] Name this religion that worships Eric from Brown.
ANSWER: Mukherjudaism [accept Mukherjew]
[10] Typically depicted as a turbaned, mustachioed imp, this trickster god of Mukherjudaism rides the Bactrian camel Harvona and trained the talking raven Negbash.
ANSWER: Meigs [do not accept "Charles Meigs"; prompt on "the deceiver," "the lie-monger," "lattavosh," "he who plays with Chris Ray," or "he who loves Jonathan Magin"
[10] This is the sacred jar of Mukherjudaism, a venerated object in which Eric carries additional excellence.
ANSWER: the kumbha

Distribution: 25/25 total.

15/15 Big Three
5/5 Literature [at least 1/1 World, American, European, and British; vary reasonably by time, and include a mix of poetry, drama, and novels]
5/5 History [at least 1/1 American, European+British, and World; vary reasonably by time, limit military history to 5 or fewer total questions]
5/5 Science [at least 1/1 Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Other Science (Astronomy, earth science, geology, math); no science biography will be tolerated]

3/3 RMP
2/1 or 1/2 Mythology [at least 1 non-western question out of the three]
1/1 Philosophy [maximum 1 ancient philosophy; feel free to write on pre-Socratics, but only in an interesting way]
0/1 or 1/0 Religion [since we're already segregating myth from religion, try to keep this question as non-mythological as possible]

3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Painting [vary reasonably by time; try to include mostly works-based clues]
1/1 Music [keep your clues buzzable...stuff like "Starts with a rousing A-flat minor in the horns, followed by a lyrical oboe solo" will just be edited out]
1/0 or 0/1 Other visual arts [sculpture or architecture; NO MOVIES!]
1/0 or 0/1 Other musical arts [opera, ballet, dance, or jazz]

2/2 Social Sciences + Geography
2/1 or 1/2 Social Sciences [includes law, anthropology, sociology, psychology, paleontology, economics, game theory; no more than one question on each discipline]
1/0 or 0/1 Geography

2/2 Your Choice
2/2 Art film, pop culture, sports, current events, general knowledge, or additional academic [please, no more than 1/1 on any given topic]

Base cost: The base cost for the Open itself is $100 for mixed-school teams, with a minimum cost of $50. For teams comprised of members from the same school, the base fee is $90, with a minimum of $40.

Discount/penalty schedule:
September 11: -$50
September 18: -$20
September 25: No penalty
October 1: +$20
October 8: +$50
After October 8: +$100 (possibly dropped from tournament)

Other discounts
Buzzer (max 2): -$5
Moderator: -$15
Additional teams from same school: -$10

Travel discount
This was somewhat poorly explained before. If you're all from the same school, you get $5 off for every 100 miles traveled. If you're all paying separately, you get $1.25 off your share for every 100 miles traveled.

Mirrors: We would like to make this an early-season quizbowl get together, so hopefully people will be willing to fly in for the weekend. We will likely be open to mirror sites for teams that cannot make it, like the Chicago Open and Cardinal Classic did.

Sunday trash tournament: We are interested in finding someone who would be willing to write the majority of a trash tournament for Sunday. We have talked to GARBAGE about potentially partnering to host that tournament, and this seems like a fairly likely scenario.

Freelancing: We would really appreciate it if anyone wishes to write playoff packets. The editors will almost certainly wind up writing some, as well.
Last edited by theMoMA on Fri May 16, 2008 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Preliminary Announcement: Minnesota Open, October 2008

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Field updates will be posted right here:

The field thus far

Teams that have submitted packets:
Harvard: Ted Gioia, Kyle Haddad-Fonda, Bruce Arthur, Andy Watkins (packet received, -$20)
Paul Drube, Quentin Roper, Rommy Masrour, Andrew Guyton (packet received, no penalty)
Carsten Gehring, Auroni Gupta, Trevor Davis, Mike Bentley (packet received, Mike: NP; Auroni: NP; Trevor: +$5, Carsten: +$5)
Matt Weiner, Charlie Dees, Alexander Boone, Chris Carter (packet received, +$20)
Matt Lafer, Ryan Westbrook, Evan Nagler (packet received; still seeking fourth, +$20)
Jonathan Magin, Ike Jose (packet received; still seeking teammates, +$20)
Jason Loy, Kent Buxton, Matt Chadbourne, Ryan Stander (packet received, -$20)
Chicago Roast Beef Icee: Seth Teitler, Selene Koo, Paul Gauthier, Adam Perkins (packet received, +$50)
Maryland: Chris Ray, Jeremy Eaton, Phil Durkos, Jeff Amoros (packet received, +$50)
Chicago 2: David Seal, Shantanu Jha, Michael Arnold, William Dix (packet received, +$50)
Illinois B: Donald Taylor, Jonah Greenthal, Ben Montet, Sam Carruthers (packet received, +$50)
Minnesota house team
Illinois A: Mike Sorice, Trygve Meade, James Sanner, Greg Baboukis

Carleton: Garrett Ryan, Andreas Stoehr, Austin Bell, Tom Sullivan (packet received, +$50)
Grinnell
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

This has strong possibilities, as Notre Dame does not have a football game either weekend.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Florida State will be there, and I hope to see teams such as Maryland and Brown come as well.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

My plane ticket budget and time in general will be somewhat limited next fall; I'll try to come to this, and at worst show up to the NE mirror.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I will most likely be coming to the Saturday and Sunday events as a freelance player.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The weekend of October 18 has been confirmed. Rooms are reserved. We will be playing MO in Coffman Memorial Union (300 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis MN). All game rooms will be on the third floor.

Tentative schedule:
10/17, Friday night, 6PM: Meet in the Mississippi Room for Myth Singles.
10/18, Saturday, 8AM: Meet in the President's Room for the MO proper. After the tournament, Lit Singles will commence after a short break.
10/19, Sunday, 9AM: Meet in the Mississippi Room for trash (probably GARBAGE). After the tournament, there will be a video games tournament written by Jeremy Eaton.

It's also possible that we will have a third academic side event, whether it be a fine arts tournament or my half-done impossible speedcheck set. Stay tuned.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Jeaton1
Wakka

Re: Preliminary Announcement: Minnesota Open, October 18 2008

Post by Jeaton1 »

Hi, all. Jeremy Eaton here. I am very excited to officially announce JECHT (Jeremy Eaton's Consoles and Handhelds Tournament), a video games doubles tournament that will be held the Sunday of the Minnesota Open. I am currently planning somewhere between 5-9 rounds (depending on the number of people interested) of 20/20 on video games from all generations, genres and platforms (despite the tournament title, PC and Arcade fans will not be disappointed). So if you'd like to play in this awesome event, e-mail me at [email protected] (or just say you're interested here on the forums I suppose) so I can get a nice tally of how many people are playing and better plan the number of rounds. I look forward to writing this event and hope you all will enjoy playing it.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I will certainly play JECHT.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to announce Myth Singles II: Looking For A Subtitle. Apparently it will be held Friday, October 17th, the night before the Minnesota Open main event, and it will be written by me, with help from Andrew Hart and Gautam Kandlikar. Packets will be 20/0, using a distribution roughly similar to that used at Seth Teitler's myth singles. Further information will be announced as we get closer to the date, I guess. Email me at cars0090 at umn dot edu if have any questions or subtitle ideas. Also, post here or email me if you're interested in playing.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I guess this is kind of obvious, but we would like to know also if teams are actually coming to Minnesota Open too. We have room reservations to accommodate pretty much any number of teams, so this is more for our peace of mind.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I plan on coming to most of these tournaments (although I probably won't be able to make Friday ones). I guess I'll either be playing by myself or looking for teammates for the main tournament, and I'll be playing with Eric Mukherjee in the videogame tournament. I'll likely moderate the literature tournament and GARBAGE (which I will be editing).
Mike Bentley
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

The Minnesota Open weekend would be a great early birthday celebration for me. I intend to to compete in Saturday's main event and lit singles and Sunday's trash scrimmage. I can drive a rental car from Chicago Friday evening, and I could give others a lift. I plan to return Sunday evening after the trash tourney. I never play video games and my non-Western myth knowledge is quite limited, so I will not miss playing while I drive Friday and Sunday evenings. I have never driven to Minneapolis, and I am running low on paid personal business days. If I could make the trip in less than six hours each way, I would probably not have to burn a paid sick day, either. I have the summer to work on my CO and MO packets, and I am already soliciting teammates for the latter. I will also be contacting Minn friends more personally for housing.

Remember EIght Belles like Dale Earnhardt Sr.,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I'll probably come to play the myth and main event, maybe get some video game action depending how long I stay. Also, might bring some Penn chums eager for trash.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I will play the side events and help staff the main event.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Discount schedule posted.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Depending on funding, Brandeis will try to make it to the actual MO. If we can't get plane funding, it's the NE mirror for us as well.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I'm sure we will be interested in making the trip... depending on funding as well..... which I already know isn't too great for travel expenses.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

so, after talking about it with my parents (you know, the under 18 routine), it looks like I'll be able to come. However, I need a team, so it'd be nice if some team of free agents will consider taking me. email me at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com if you're interested.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

oh, and I'll certainly want to play JECHT as well.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Auroni, we could probably make room for you if you are interested. I doubt we will actually have 8 people wanting to make the long drive to MN so I think it's a safe assumption that this would work out.
Kent Buxton
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

EDIT: So, it looks like I won't be going to this after all. Sorry guys!
Last edited by evilmonkey on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Is there an update on which events will occur for MO weekend? I might be missing something, but currently I'm seeing the Saturday event, Lit doubles, and the video games thing, all of which will assuredly be awesome. However, I'd think at least there'd need to be some kind of event Sunday for people to have a whole second day of qb/travel. Is there a trash event? Can the myth tournament be revived with some outside help? We had been quite set on attending, so we're just trying to lock down the logistics.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I believe we'll be hosting a mirror of GARBAGE on Sunday.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Okay, so now that I have purchased tickets, I need for someone to do me a favor. My parents won't really let me go unless they know that someone is picking me up from the airport, so can anyone come and do that? I'm officially arriving at 5:03 P.M.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

Young Bellair wrote:Okay, so now that I have purchased tickets, I need for someone to do me a favor. My parents won't really let me go unless they know that someone is picking me up from the airport, so can anyone come and do that? I'm officially arriving at 5:03 P.M.
Consider it done.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

theattachment wrote:
Young Bellair wrote:Okay, so now that I have purchased tickets, I need for someone to do me a favor. My parents won't really let me go unless they know that someone is picking me up from the airport, so can anyone come and do that? I'm officially arriving at 5:03 P.M.
Consider it done.
We could "pick you up" and get someone to take the train with you. That will be much more efficient in the middle of rush hour.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

Mrs. Rich wrote:
theattachment wrote:
Consider it done.
We could "pick you up" and get someone to take the train with you. That will be much more efficient in the middle of rush hour.
Yeah, depending on where you're staying, Auroni. If your parents insist on a car, I've got it, otherwise someone can supervise you on the light rail/bus?.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

theattachment wrote:
Mrs. Rich wrote:
theattachment wrote:
Consider it done.
Yeah, depending on where you're staying, Auroni. If your parents insist on a car, I've got it, otherwise someone can supervise you on the light rail/bus?.
I'm very sure that they don't care how I go to where I'm staying at (chris has offered me some room in his basement so that looks like the case), so I'm totally down with being escorted on the mass transit. They did tell me that they would have to talk to you (just to say hi and stuff, so maybe if you can email me your phone number)
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Would any Chicagoans be interested in a ride to Minneapolis/St. Paul as my teammates, such as players who are too young to rent a car or who do not yet have a driver's license? I could rent an SUV, but not a mini-van, from O'Hare or Midway. After I drop everybody off and before I return my rental, I want to use it to transport a new air conditioner home before my current unit gives out. I do ask for packet-writing sharing, gas contributions, and conversation like packet reading for eight or so hours each way, for I am more or less on my own for writing UIC's packet entries for ACF Fall, Winter, Regionals, and Nationals. I even have a friend now in DC whose parents in the Twin Cities might be able to provide us with low-cost rooms for three nights. I would like to leave on the Friday and to return on the Monday. Besides the Minnesota Open itself, I hope to compete in the Saturday lit singles/doubles and the Sunday trash scrimmage. I could read for the Sunday video games rounds, and the Friday myth singles/doubles have been postponed. Time permitting, I would like to visit PEANUTS exhibits and the Mall of America where JINGLE ALL THE WAY, a guilty pleasure, was partially filmed. Should anybody be interested in my transportation offer, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Cheer for at least 3 nations to finish each relay,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm looking for a team for this - if you have room for a free agent, email me at [email protected]
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Now is the time to start posting/emailing me with rosters of who you're going to be playing on a team with, if you know already.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'm going to be playing with Carsten Gehring, possibly Trevor Davis if he wants to join us, and an as of now undetermined fourth.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Is MIT still planning on mirroring this here event?
Doug
Brandeis '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Whoa. I was on vacation during that week and completely missed those posts. Thanks.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Announcement: Minnesota Open, October 18 2008

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'd like to sign up as a free agent. If any team needs an extra person, let me know.
Mike Bentley
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I will also be at this tournament, and I do not have a team at the moment.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I'd like to sign up as a free agent. If any team needs an extra person, let me know.
would you like to play with Carsten/me/and Trevor Davis(now confirmed as our teammate)? We have writing sorted out so you wouldn't have to do any.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Structure of SoCal Action wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I'd like to sign up as a free agent. If any team needs an extra person, let me know.
would you like to play with Carsten/me/and Trevor Davis(now confirmed as our teammate)? We have writing sorted out so you wouldn't have to do any.
Sure, I'll play on that team. And unless you guys have already written the packet, I'd be happy to contribute to it. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].
Mike Bentley
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I know of at least one (potentially more) mysteriously unnamed people from some state I may or may not live in who are interested in coming to this tournament. Please email me and I will get you their contacts if you are interested in freelance players or whatnot. My email is [email protected].
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Evan, my team of Jason Loy, Matt Chadbourne and I need a fourth if you still do not have a team.

That offer goes for anyone who does not have a team for this. I'd like to play with people I have never had the opportunity to play with in the past.... which doesn't really eliminate anyone who doesn't go to Truman.
Kent Buxton
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I just realized that I might be able to attend this tournament, though I would only be there on Friday night and on Saturday.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:I just realized that I might be able to attend this tournament, though I would only be there on Friday night and on Saturday.
Please note that there's no longer a Friday night quizbowl event, but I'm trying to see if we can get a basketball court for any interested ballers.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Oh geez, I wish I could be there for bball, but the current plan has us arriving very early morning on Saturday.
Kent Buxton
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

theMoMA wrote:Please note that there's no longer a Friday night quizbowl event, but I'm trying to see if we can get a basketball court for any interested ballers.
If this happens, I'm in.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

theMoMA wrote:
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:I just realized that I might be able to attend this tournament, though I would only be there on Friday night and on Saturday.
Please note that there's no longer a Friday night quizbowl event, but I'm trying to see if we can get a basketball court for any interested ballers.
I am so down.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

theMoMA wrote:Please note that there's no longer a Friday night quizbowl event, but I'm trying to see if we can get a basketball court for any interested ballers.
This had better happen, Andrew.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Do we have a feel for what the field here might be? It seems that Matt Lafer and I are currently looking for teammates for this.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

As it stands right now, Jeremy Eaton and I are going to be attending this tournament, and are possibly looking for teammates.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

If you know your team's final composition, please email me so that I can post a field update. Don't post it here, though, because it's too hard for me to parse what's finalized information and what's not.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum