ACF Nats Predictions

Old college threads.
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

ACF Nats Predictions

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

1. As soon as Charles Meigs wraps up his knife-balancing, belly-dancing act on Chris Ray's stomach, the team will be hard at work going for the double. Jonathan Magin is already reading the collected works of Alain Le Sage, FOR PLEASURE. Dan Suzman will pretty much just sit there.

2. The tossup on the Battle of the Dunes was, alas, predictable.

3. Wall of Ham: OUT.

END COMMUNICATION
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Re: ACF Nats Predictions

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Really? No predictions, gang?
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Maryland
Brown
Chicago
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I'm predicting a strong showing for myself at the meat-eating contest at dinner Friday night.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I predict that in the Brown-Yale matchup Eric Mukherjee will be challenged to play solo, and that Yale will call Kalki to consume Eric out of spite for stealing their up and coming star Linna Duan. Afterwards they'll watch the video of the fight on youtube during practice.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Ted ascendant.
Andrew Watkins
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

everyday847 wrote:Ted ascendant.
Is Ted playing?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

BuzzerZen wrote:
everyday847 wrote:Ted ascendant.
Is Ted playing?
Ted will be replacing Charlie Dees on the "Rom and Friends" team that competed at MLK. Sadly, Ray Sun will be unable to make it, so for ACF Nats the team will be Rom Masrour, Bruce Arthur, and Ted Gioia.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DJ Shadow wrote:Ted will be replacing Charlie Dees on the "Rom and Friends" team that competed at MLK. Sadly, Ray Sun will be unable to make it, so for ACF Nats the team will be Rom Masrour, Bruce Arthur, and Ted Gioia.
What's ACF Nationals without Ray Sun?! I may have to call for a boycott of this event...
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I predict a hilarious article to be published by the Maryland student newspaper.

Oh hey I win! (Bolding is mine)
The Maryland Academic Quiz Team is ready for a rematch with their archrival, the University of Chicago, on Saturday.

The quiz team won its first national tournament at Washington University in St. Louis on April 12, defeating the University of Chicago after it won both national academic tournaments last year.

The team hopes for a repeat this weekend at Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass. The university's team said winning both tournaments is not out of the question, since their rivals managed to do it last year.

"We already won a national title," said Charles Meigs, a graduate student studying Arabic. "What do those guys have on us?"

The team prepared last night with more difficult questions than usual but said they don't plan on cramming on Friday evening. Instead, they'll be watching Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

"It's not about putting in the study time," said Chris Ray, a sophomore history and government and politics major. "It's about having the intellectual curiosity."

The team agreed that everyone would prepare for the tournament in their own way.

Jonathan Magin, a senior English major, has a notebook scribbled with facts he's collected. And Ray said he learned the geography of Antarctica by watching Alien vs. Predator numerous times.

"You don't need people with good GPAs," Ray said. "If you like learning things, it's a good start."

The team consists of four members with areas of expertise. There are two types of questions - toss-ups, where players buzz in, and bonuses that go to teams who answer the toss-up correctly.

The team considers itself more of a knowledge team rather than relying on the quickness of buzzing in.

"You don't win by speed," Magin said. "You win by knowledge. That's how you win Quiz Bowl - by knowing things."

This style of play will be more fitting for the team this weekend because the tournament on Saturday is more of an academic tournament, compared to other tournaments that focus on popular culture or other themes.

Team members said they are one of the more laid-back teams. But a lot of them enjoy the competitive side of the tournaments.

"You get some real characters when you're playing Quiz Bowl," Ray said. "There's a whole range of attitudes."

The team talked trash about the best player on the University of Chicago's team, calling him their "evil archvillian." And the captain of Brown University, they said, has a fiery temper. Meigs said it's nerve-racking to play across from the Brown University team because one player has a tendency to throw things when he gets angry.

This university's team attends about 12 events a year, competing in tournaments around the country at Stanford University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Chicago and Brandeis University.
Jerry = :aaa:
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have been slandered in the popular press! Sir, I demand satisfaction! Buzzers at dawn?

Seriously though, I can't believe they actually published that.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I notably didn't actually say any of the things attributed to me. . . except that thing about AvP, which I promptly demanded they print. Seriously, my knowledge Elephant Island/Predator physiology is going to carry the day pretty hard. I kept stressing things like "it's really easy to join, free, we're really laid back and don't require people to study, and we're losing a lot of people after this year" and all those things to encourage readers to check the team out. I'm sure glad the eschewed that to focus on Charles's concerns about Seth Teitler's evil empire, an admittedly serious threat to world security.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

DumbJaques wrote:I notably didn't actually say any of the things attributed to me. . . except that thing about AvP, which I promptly demanded they print. Seriously, my knowledge Elephant Island/Predator physiology is going to carry the day pretty hard. I kept stressing things like "it's really easy to join, free, we're really laid back and don't require people to study, and we're losing a lot of people after this year" and all those things to encourage readers to check the team out. I'm sure glad the eschewed that to focus on Charles's concerns about Seth Teitler's evil empire, an admittedly serious threat to world security.
Maybe Alien vs. Predator will teach you how to recruit.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

DumbJaques wrote:I notably didn't actually say any of the things attributed to me. . . except that thing about AvP, which I promptly demanded they print.
This brought to you by the journalism school that produced Jayson Blair and Jack Kelley.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Well, they misspelled "archvillain," but that's a great article. Hilarious in parts, actually... I am surprised the

It's better than the ones that got written about Lawrence quizbowl when we qualified for/played at ICT. Notable highlights included the headline "LU quiz bowl team ends up in championship round" (true for people who don't play quizbowl; totally false in reality, as it was your choice of Maryland v Chicago or Carleton v Western Ontario) and the first article incorrectly proclaiming me to be the Messiah.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

That is awesome...I sent a small blurb to our school paper about our T-4 finish at ICT, thinking it might have some campus significance since except for a few minor sports and apparently rigged MTV shows Irvine never finishes that high in anything...despite nary a word on quizbowl, our weekly paper contained the following: four full pages of comics, an editorial lamenting that alternative fuels are driving up the price of beer, and two separate articles on the difficulties that women face at UC-Irvine, namely (1) being Jewish on a campus where there apparently aren't enough nice Jewish boys and one has to settle for nice non-Jewish boys and (2) being given a lapdance by a gay male friend in full view of one's boyfriend. Hmm...quizbowl...comics...beer...interfaith dating...gay male lapdances. I think you can discern which one ends up cut.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Journalism! :cowboy:
Fred Morlan
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I hope this trend of journalists taking Charles Meigs seriously continues forever.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Diamondback Online Comments - Brown University captain wrote:posted 4/24/08 @ 11:58 AM EST

The next thing I throw at ACF Nationals will be you out the window, Charles Meigs.
:monocle:
Fred Morlan
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Ukonvasara wrote:I hope this trend of journalists taking Charles Meigs seriously continues forever.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

Results on the meat eating contest?
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

humans 1, meat 0
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

WeekendatBernadette wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:I hope this trend of journalists taking Charles Meigs seriously continues forever.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)