Georgetown?

Old college threads.
mverity
Kimahri

Georgetown?

Post by mverity » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:13 pm

So I know that I'm going to sound like a n00b but I'm just trying to confirm that Georgetown (the one in D.C., not Kentucky) has a college bowl team. If so how active/how good have they been?

>>>>>>>>>>>> Mike from Loyola
Last edited by mverity on Sun May 04, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Verity,Loyola '08

Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: 24 hours of quizbowl

Post by Captain Sinico » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:59 pm

mverity wrote:So I know that I'm going to sound like a n00b but I'm just trying to confirm that Georgetown (the one in D.C., not Kentucky) has a college bowl team. If so how active/how good have they been?
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask that... Anyway, I don't think that Georgetown does have a team anymore, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
ACF
IHSSBCA
PACE

Mike Bentley
Auron

Post by Mike Bentley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 pm

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
mverity wrote:So I know that I'm going to sound like a n00b but I'm just trying to confirm that Georgetown (the one in D.C., not Kentucky) has a college bowl team. If so how active/how good have they been?
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask that... Anyway, I don't think that Georgetown does have a team anymore, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure?

MaS
I am pretty sure they do not have a team. In my four years at Maryland I have never seen them at a tournament. However, there are lots of schools in a close proximity to Georgetown that do have teams, notably Maryland and to a lesser extent teams like GW and UMBC. If you were to start a team next year, there would be no shortage of tournaments you could go to. I'm sure if you hosted a tournament you'd also draw many teams from around the region.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm

I am pretty sure they do not have a team. In my four years at Maryland I have never seen them at a tournament. However, there are lots of schools in a close proximity to Georgetown that do have teams, notably Maryland and to a lesser extent teams like GW and UMBC. If you were to start a team next year, there would be no shortage of tournaments you could go to. I'm sure if you hosted a tournament you'd also draw many teams from around the region.
To that end, if you're going to be at Georgetown and would be interested in starting a team (assuming you're unfamiliar with this process or college qb in general and would like some help), lots of people on this board would surely be happy to provide it. Me email address is in my profile, so you can feel free to contact me - at the very least, Maryland will be hosting a few events next year at which we'd love to see a Georgetown team. More experienced board members can probably help you with the more difficult aspects of starting a team, if you're interested.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

mverity
Kimahri

Post by mverity » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm

thanks to all of those who put posts up in regards to my question, sorry if it really wasn't an appropriate place for it, but i saw the most general looking discussion and saw mentions of Maryland/D.C. and figured someone would know.
Mike Verity,Loyola '08

Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Georgetown?

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 am

Georgetown has neither a quizbowl nor a College Bowl team right now, and have not since 2004. A team representing the Georgetown University Law Center exclusively played at tournaments in 2004-2005, but its members have all graduated. Those who are still in the DC area may be interested in helping you get started with a new incarnation.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

Phil Castagna
Lulu

Post by Phil Castagna » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 am

They seem to have fallen dormant, but they did have an active circuit team for many years, and I was a member of those teams. If you would care to email me at prcastagna at hotmail dot com, I can tell you some more specifics that I know and possibly that there are buzzer systems and old questions lying around somewhere.

Thanks,
Phil Castagna '99

gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy » Sat May 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Well...there's going to be a team there next year. And I will be on it.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12

mverity
Kimahri

Post by mverity » Sun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm

are you going to georgetown/willing to start a team with me next year?
Mike Verity,Loyola '08

mverity
Kimahri

Post by mverity » Sun May 04, 2008 7:06 pm

do you know anybody else from gonzaga or any other team who is going to georgetown who will be willing to start a team next year?
Mike Verity,Loyola '08

gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:53 am

sorry for not remembering to check back but...yes. I'm going to georgetown and definitely looking to start a team, so yes. And from gonzaga no, but I think i saw someone in the georgetown group on facebook mention quizbowl, so...i'm assuming we should be able to get a good amount of people just cuz georgetown's a smart school and smart schools=college bowl teams most of the time.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12