VCU summer practices open to all

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

VCU summer practices open to all

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, as people return home, go to summer internships, or otherwise move around with the end of the academic year, I thought it might be of general interest to note that there will be twice-weekly practices held in Richmond, for any quizbowl people in the area.

These will take place every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9:30 PM, beginning one week from today on May 13, and will all be in the VCU Student Commons, in the rooms noted for each day:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/vcuqb/practice.html
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: VCU summer practices open to all

Post by Mike Bentley »

UMD summer practices will also be open to everyone. Stay tuned for dates and times.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey, Valencia too: if you're in sweltering Orlando, come to West Campus, Bldg. 2, Room 239, from noon till 3 pm. We often have home-made cookies!

Edit: added sig to avoid banishment.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I won't be around, but I think Harvard will have summer practices, likely in conjunction with MIT as was the case last summer. Anyone in Boston is welcome.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Kyle wrote:I won't be around, but I think Harvard will have summer practices, likely in conjunction with MIT as was the case last summer. Anyone in Boston is welcome.
Send me info; I think Brown's practices will halt as most of our team will be away. But I'll probably have a car and can take what few are left to Boston occasionally
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

The University of Minnesota quizbowl team will be sponsoring summer practices in the Twin Cities area for both high schoolers and collegiate players. Anyone who is interested should email me at [email protected] to get on the mailing list.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Chicago? Northwestern? Illinois?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'll be in Champaign-Urbana, and if there's enough interest, I could try and arrange something, but I doubt there will be interest.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:
Kyle wrote:I won't be around, but I think Harvard will have summer practices, likely in conjunction with MIT as was the case last summer. Anyone in Boston is welcome.
Send me info; I think Brown's practices will halt as most of our team will be away. But I'll probably have a car and can take what few are left to Boston occasionally
I'll be out of the country. Talk to Andy Watkins (watkins4@fas). I'm sure that he'll be glad to organize some days when what's left of Harvard, MIT, and Brown can get together to play.
msaifutaa
Lulu

Post by msaifutaa »

Kyle wrote:
ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:
I'll be out of the country. Talk to Andy Watkins (watkins4@fas). I'm sure that he'll be glad to organize some days when what's left of Harvard, MIT, and Brown can get together to play.
Last year we basically just had our MIT practices over the summer as usual (with those who stayed), and Adam came over to visit us because he was awesome like that. I'm not anyone official or anything, but it seems likely we'll try something like that again.
Mark
MIT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

msaifutaa wrote:
Kyle wrote:
ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:Send me info; I think Brown's practices will halt as most of our team will be away. But I'll probably have a car and can take what few are left to Boston occasionally
Last year we basically just had our MIT practices over the summer as usual (with those who stayed), and Adam came over to visit us because he was awesome like that. I'm not anyone official or anything, but it seems likely we'll try something like that again.
I'll be out of town for the majority of the summer (i.e. I won't be in Boston after HSNCT and I won't be back in Boston until mid-September because of Harvard's mighty strange schedule) but if Brown and MIT wanted to put something together before now and HSNCT... my five upcoming finals won't mind much, really.

We'll work something out if there's interest.
Andrew Watkins
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

How do you get to the Student Commons at VCU? I can't find directions...stupid MapQuest won't give me a specific building. Also, my mom's from NY and still doesn't know the city that well, and my teammates who have already gone this season were unable to give me any useful directions...any help is much appreciated.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:How do you get to the Student Commons at VCU? I can't find directions...stupid MapQuest won't give me a specific building. Also, my mom's from NY and still doesn't know the city that well, and my teammates who have already gone this season were unable to give me any useful directions...any help is much appreciated.
It's this building:
Last edited by vcuEvan on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Thanks, Evan!
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Maryland practices will be from 5:30 to 8:30 in Jimenez every Thursday this summer. They'll be starting this Thursday.
Mike Bentley
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:How do you get to the Student Commons at VCU? I can't find directions...stupid MapQuest won't give me a specific building. Also, my mom's from NY and still doesn't know the city that well, and my teammates who have already gone this season were unable to give me any useful directions...any help is much appreciated.
I hope Evan's answer cleared things up, but I'll add the verbal directions as well: to get there from where Maggie Walker is, you can just take Lombardy south to Cary Street, turn left and go to Cherry, then turn left on Cherry, left on Main, and you're there.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:
I hope Evan's answer cleared things up, but I'll add the verbal directions as well: to get there from where Maggie Walker is, you can just take Lombardy south to Cary Street, turn left and go to Cherry, then turn left on Cherry, left on Main, and you're there.
Mom has ruled Matt's directions more helpful. Thanks to both of you, though. I should hopefully get there without getting too lost...
Sam L,
PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Sarah, if you (or anyone else, preferably in the West End,) needs a ride, just let me know ahead of time.

moc.liamtoh@292yrrebegroeg

3123-102-(408)

(reversed for spam and minimal crank calling preventions)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Thanks, George. I'll keep that in mind, since if I remember correctly you live less than 5 minutes from me. I think my mom prefers to take me, though. Her trust of young drivers is somewhat...nonexistent.
Sam L,
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

FYI we're going to be mainly (if not exclusively) testing ASS questions tomorrow at Maryland practice, so it's probably not worth your effort to show up if you're playing in that tournament.
Mike Bentley