College Leagues?

Old college threads.
powerplant
Wakka

College Leagues?

Post by powerplant »

Justin Miller (the guy from Owens CC), sent me a link to this http://www.kcqrl.org/Home_Page.html

Are there any other such leagues around? Does anyone know where they get their questions?
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: College Leagues?

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

AllsWellThatPosts4 wrote:Justin Miller (the guy from Owens CC), sent me a link to this http://www.kcqrl.org/Home_Page.html

Are there any other such leagues around? Does anyone know where they get their questions?
Given that they require correct punctuation in their spelling tossups, but not capitalization, and given that they have a four-way division between math, science, humanities, and general knowledge, and given that they require all member schools to host a tournament once every four years... no, I'd say they're pretty unique.

They require tournament hosts to be responsible for the questions, apparently meaning that they can either write them or order them. Order them from whom? Who knows! As long as they're a quarter math, a quarter science, a quarter literature/philosophy/history/fine arts/mythology/religion/social science/geography, and a quarter trash, I don't know if they care.

That might be the strangest organization I've ever heard of.
Andrew Watkins
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

everyday847 wrote:As long as they're a quarter math, a quarter science, a quarter literature/philosophy/history/fine arts/mythology/religion/social science/geography, and a quarter trash, I don't know if they care.

That might be the strangest organization I've ever heard of.
Give them a little credit, Andy. It's actually 1/5 math, 1/5 science, 1/5 lit/philosophy/fine arts/mythology/religion, 1/5 history/social science/geography, 1/5 trash.

But QFT on the second bit.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Their best rule is the one that says that teams have to switch sides at the half. That keeps either team from benefitting from wind conditions, sun, or a loud home crowd on one side of the room.

Unfortunately, however, their distro is not as unique as it ought to be. The Florida CC Activities Association Brain Bowl, of which Valencia is a part (for the regionals/state structure, which is what CC presidents want to hear about your team playing in), has 1/4 computational math, 1/4 natural science, 1/4 social science, and 1/4 "humanities" (ie, everything else). And the questions, well, you don't want to see the questions.

Edit: missing word
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Fri May 30, 2008 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Their best rule is the one that says that teams have to switch sides at the half. That keeps either team from benefitting from wind conditions, sun, or a loud home crowd on side of the room.

Unfortunately, however, their distro is not as unique as it ought to be. The Florida CC Activities Association Brain Bowl, of which Valencia is a part (for the regionals/state structure, which is what CC presidents want to hear about your team playing in), has 1/4 computational math, 1/4 natural science, 1/4 social science, and 1/4 "humanities" (ie, everything else). And the questions, well, you don't want to see the questions.
I'm pretty sure the best rule is that last names suffice unless the question specifies otherwise. I'd love to see a question that begins "Note that you must indicate whether you mean John or John Quincy in your answer."

You are correct. I do not want to see the questions, no, not at all.
Andrew Watkins
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Since I am in an unapologetically snarky and condescending mood this morning:
http://myforum.kcqrl.org/user/Discussion.aspx?id=80870
-Note the usage of the phrase "pitstomped by the best" in reference to a CBI National Tournament.

Georgetown College went a "respectable" 8-7 @ CBI NCT though one of those wins was a forfeit by FSU, those crazy jokers! Also Transylvania College is running a distant second in all competitions to the juggernaut of Georgetown College

Finally:
Kansas Academic Excellence Challenge is a Community College League
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/schools/kaec/
Enjoy the sample questions!
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

sample questions wrote:What does the acronym "FOB" mean?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

DumbJaques wrote:
sample questions wrote:What does the acronym "FOB" mean?
I really hope there's some less offensive meaning for this acronym.
everyday847 wrote:I'm pretty sure the best rule is that last names suffice unless the question specifies otherwise. I'd love to see a question that begins "Note that you must indicate whether you mean John or John Quincy in your answer."
Uh... what's funny about this rule? You just start the question with "First and last names required."...
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

cornfused wrote:I really hope there's some less offensive meaning for this acronym.
Free on Board...seriously, it falls under their "Business" category, there's even a wiki.

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
roth
Lulu

Post by roth »

Easy there guys... it would seem that the league in question is just playing off standard Governor's Cup rules, a competition which is played throughout the state of Kentucky and is sponsored at the High-School level by KAAC. I played my entire pre-college career in Kentucky, and let me just say - don't discredit our bastardized version of Quiz Bowl. Sure, it doesn't require the knowledge base that is necessary for NAQT (it's called "Quick Recall" because there is an emphasis on rote memorization and speed in answering), but it is incredibly helpful in refining some of the raw speed that is necessary to be a top QB player. Most of the fastest buzzers I've ever seen have come out of KY's Governor's Cup program.

There's no reason to dismiss the the Quick Recall game played in Kentucky; many of us Kentuckians that play up in the National scene recognize that our game not only is less fun than Quiz Bowl, it is also a less difficult game. But that doesn't mean it's any less competitive.
Daniel Rothenberg <-> Cornell University '11
President, Cornell University Quiz Bowl Club
duPont Manual '07
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

roth wrote:There's no reason to dismiss the the Quick Recall game played in Kentucky; many of us Kentuckians that play up in the National scene recognize that our game not only is less fun than Quiz Bowl, it is also a less difficult game. But that doesn't mean it's any less competitive.
Horseshoes is pretty competitive too.

Anyway, given that the information is out there, someone should make an effort to contact these teams and get them to come out to a real tournament sometime.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

ACF Nationals 2009: Raw Speed
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Oh, I don't doubt the KAAC's contributive qualities at the High School level, look at their question writing guideline, I just wonder about how this seemingly solid set of guidelines, gets bowdlerized to the point at the college level where CBI NCT seems like something to work towards.
Question Writing Guideline wrote: Your goal to write a competition question that:
- Is taken from, or is an extension of, core classroom curricula
- Rewards in-depth knowledge first (uses pyramidal structure)
- Is direct and fair
- Reduces as much as possible the element of buzzer speed as a determining factor
- Has ONLY one accurate, correct answer, or provides alternate answers that may be given
- Has a good chance of being answered by both teams
- Is free from "hooks" or "traps", which frustrate students
- Flows well when read by the moderator
This guideline also has a lot of examples both good and poor to help distinguish between the two, though they are restricted to apparently two sentences, it has a lot to offer a new question writer, even at the seemingly vaunted levels discussed here on this board.

Also competitive: Cornhole.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Daniel wrote
Easy there guys

Righto. Indeed, just because a team plays in such competitions does not preclude it from other tournaments. Though I can't stand the questions Valencia and the other Florida CCs play in our state competition, I enjoy the tournament experiences, which are filled with good folks. So Jerry's right--some outreach is necessary.

As to the Kansas folks, Ahmad, well, they're starting to learn about QB as we know it as they continue to send teams to ICT, and I'm working toward getting a mirror of Delta Burke there next November to hasten that process.

PS--my neighbors and I play a little cornhole (though we more civilizedly call it "Baggo") now and again. I wonder if we posted some pix of ourselves playing if a bunch of hardcore cornhole players would mock us on their "real cornhole" message board. I can only hope . . .
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

cornfused wrote:Uh... what's funny about this rule? You just start the question with "First and last names required."...
At which point my answer space narrows to a set of people for whom a last name wouldn't be enough, leading to some delightfully early buzzes, i.e. "hey psych, and not William James-ish, so it's Anna Freud FIFTEEEEEEN."
Andrew Watkins
roth
Lulu

Post by roth »

SnookerUSF wrote:Also competitive: Cornhole.
Another game which Kentuckians should be very adept at; I believe there is still pending legislation to make it our official state game!

Anyways, the big problem with the Governor's Cup style of play is that it rewards reaction time and word association moreso than it does depth of knowledge. If you hear "Shah Jahan" and you haven't already buzzed in to say "Taj Mahal," then you're simply not even an average Quick Recall player. I'll look online at the KAAC website and see if there are any videos or audio recordings of some of the State level Governor's Cup matches. You might really be surprised with the speed and "educated guesses" that go into this style of gameplay.

i wouldn't defend Quick Recall, but it really isn't nearly as useless as some people think.
Daniel Rothenberg <-> Cornell University '11
President, Cornell University Quiz Bowl Club
duPont Manual '07
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:PS--my neighbors and I play a little cornhole (though we more civilizedly call it "Baggo") now and again. I wonder if we posted some pix of ourselves playing if a bunch of hardcore cornhole players would mock us on their "real cornhole" message board. I can only hope . . .
Hope no longer: http://americancornholeassociation.yuku.com/directory
Get on it.

P.S. Baggo...prude!

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

grapesmoker wrote:Anyway, given that the information is out there, someone should make an effort to contact these teams and get them to come out to a real tournament sometime.
Georgetown College has been to at least one "real" tournament in the southeast. I want to say they've been to several, but I don't really recall. A guy from Pikeville was/is their main guy, and pretty sure he has an account here, so maybe he'll happen upon this thread, or Charlie and others can help confirm that Georgetown College has in fact ventured out of their league.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)