ANNOUNCEMENT: TIT XXIII at Maryland: 1/31/09

Old college threads.
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: TIT XXIII at Maryland: 1/31/09

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

DumbJaques wrote:So the final deadline has come and gone and I have received only one packet (from Columbia). I understand people are still recovering from playing/writing winter, so I'm hopeful I'll be getting stuff by tonight. I really need to hear about the *specific* status of outstanding packets/half packets asap if they aren't coming in tonight though, so I can plan for the tournament and figure out what to do.

I'll keep an updated list of received packets here:

VCU
Harvard
Ike
Columbia
Yeah, sorry, we're being ridiculously late with our packets again. It will be in your inbox hopefully Monday night, Tuesday at the latest.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Chris:

I want to tell you this now so that you are aware of the situation - there's probably a 95% chance that we will not be showing up for TIT. Sorry I couldnt have told you any earlier...I just found out from my driver this weekend, and, having attended UM's ACF Winter and Penn Bowl trash, I was without internet access all weekend. I'll let you know for sure what our status will be as soon as can, hopefully by tomorrow, but if not, within the next couple days.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

We're working on ours and will have it to you this week. Sorry it's not done already: I lost a bunch of data and time in my recent computer-water incident.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

We're working on ours and will have it to you this week. Sorry it's not done already: I lost a bunch of data and time in my recent computer-water incident.
Considering that half of my pace questions were accidentally deleted and one of the completed TIT packets is currently trapped on my corrupted harddrive, I completely get it. Thanks for the hurry.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, two things:

1) The Comic Book Doubles announcement is up at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7136. Post in THAT thread (not this one) if you want to play. It will follow TIT immediately and probably won't last more than a couple hours.

2) I've not received any packets yet. Seriously, lame. In accordance with normal policy, we will be using the +$10 per day late system, which will only exceed the +$100 penalty starting Thursday night at midnight. I hadn't thought packets would be so late that it would be necessary to do this, but here we are. I have heard from Brown, Chicago, Michigan, Illinois, and Penn regarding their packets. I have not yet heard from Rom, so you really need to contact me if you'd like to play in this tournament.

PS
Tuesday has come and gone and I do not have a Penn packet.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

DumbJaques wrote:2) I've not received any packets yet. Seriously, lame. In accordance with normal policy, we will be using the +$10 per day late system, which will only exceed the +$100 penalty starting Thursday night at midnight. I hadn't thought packets would be so late that it would be necessary to do this, but here we are. I have heard from Brown, Chicago, Michigan, Illinois, and Penn regarding their packets. I have not yet heard from Rom, so you really need to contact me if you'd like to play in this tournament.
Chris: what is the status of the West Coast freelance packet? Last I checked we were missing 1/1 lit and 3/2 science, I don't know if Ray sent this in as is or if he's going to try to finish the rest before sending it (or if, in some weird alternate universe, the missing 4/3 is already done and he's already sent the whole thing in without telling me). If he hasn't sent it in already and you're willing to accept the packet with these missing categories (or just want this part of the packet now and we'll get you the missing 4/3 later) then I can get it to you tonight.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I emailed Ray tonight, but I haven't heard back yet. I guess I'd appreciate if you just sent it as is, and then sent the remaining 4/3 tomorrow or something. Thanks for being attentive to that, I really appreciate it.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Yuna

DumbJaques wrote:PS
Tuesday has come and gone and I do not have a Penn packet.
No you don't. Penn Bowl (both regular and trash) and actual homework have been taking more time than expected, nothing got done over winter break, I have an unfortunate habit of spending over an hour on each question even when I'm trying to write quickly, etc.

We'll make every effort to get it in ASAP.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Cool. Have you guys confirmed whether you'll have one or two teams for the tournament?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I haven't gotten too much response--it'll likely be 1.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

If anyone feels like ceding floor space to me (or at least Brenda; I don't really need a place to stay if there's not room), it'd be very much appreciated. I get the impression she/we will be staying both Friday and Saturday night.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

How many packets are in/ combined with editor's packet(s), how many packets/ rounds will there be?
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I had planned on 10 games over 11 rounds for everyone followed by a finals series as needed. I'm not sure if this will be doable now, as several teams are potentially dropping and I'm faced with a confounding schedule. That's still my target, although it may be divided less evenly than I'd hoped between prelims and playoffs.

As for packets, well, I'm still waiting on Brown, Illinois, and Penn. I've been assured that all packets are being worked on by very competent writers, so presumably they'll be ready to go with minimal editing. We're working very hard to make sure the packets we do have are playable. So, for the moment, it appears as if we'll be running a 13 packet tournament.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Cool. Also, location on campus?
Andrew Watkins
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

What time is regisration?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

The tournament will be held in the Reckford Armory. We will be doing registration from 8:15-9:00 in room 0126, with rounds starting as close to 9:00 AM as possible (really!), so try to let me know if you are running late. I can be reached at [REDACTED] the day of the tournament (and, well, always). I'd like to post a schedule, but things are way too fluid right now.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Yuna

Hey, the Penn contingent has dwindled to just me, and I wasn't able to drag anybody from Swarthmore either, so I'm willing to be a ridiculous hypocrite and offer myself as a free agent, especially if it makes the schedule prettier. (I'm also willing to shell out whatever ginormous packet penalty I'd otherwise burden any such team with.)

I'm also fine with playing solo, if the schedule likes that better.

ETA: do you have a rough idea how long things are going to be, so I can figure out which Amtrak to take?

ETA again: on the off-chance anyone actually wants me as another teammate, you can let me know at chris dot u dot white at gmail dot com.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

While you're at it, a field update would be pretty cool, if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks a lot.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

While you're at it, a field update would be pretty cool, if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks a lot.
Er. . . are you coming to the tournament dude? I was not under that impression.

Anyway, field as I currently understand it:

VCU
Brown
Harvard
Penn (now just Chris White and friends)
Columbia
UMBC A
UMBC B
Georgetown A
Georgetown B
William and Mary
Dan Puma's Revenge
George Washington
Villanova A
Villanova B
George Berry and some Maryland people
Whitman High School Coalition
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

DumbJaques wrote:Er. . . are you coming to the tournament dude? I was not under that impression.
I'm playing with Daniel and Douglas on the Whitman High School Coalition.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I've been granted last-minute permission to go, so I'll play with George Berry and friends.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Results?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
at your pleasure
Auron

I think Brown won, with VCU forfeiting so the comic book tournament could start at a reasonable time. Feel free to correct me. More detailed results will have to be posted by someone with Maryland.
This was my first college tournament, and overall, I liked the questions, found the tournament was suprisingly efficient, and had a great time.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Jeaton1
Wakka

Post by Jeaton1 »

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Stats are up. Thanks to everyone who came to play and came to help staff what I think was a very successful tournament. I hope everyone who played at UMD and at the mirrors enjoyed this set.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

stats seem to be missing the Brown-VCU playoff game. I don't have the stat sheet, but I think it was around 450+ to 120ish, and was marked by Brown buzzing in on all twenty tossups.

After that, both teams elected to scrimmage on the finals packet. A team of (I think) Jerry Vinokurov, Eric Mukherjee, Andrew Lim, and Chris White defeated (again, I think) Matt Weiner, Evan Adams, Brennan (?) from VCU, and Jonathan Magin, about 380-250 or something like that. Someone with a scoresheet can fill in the blanks.

In any event, Brown won the tournament by any conceivable measure. I'll post a more detailed wrap-up later when I'm not about to pass up, but thanks to all teams who came out, as well as Matt Weiner, Jonathan Magin, and Cameron Orth for coming up to staff/fill out the field. Also, considerable thanks to Matt Weiner and Penn for providing us with unused penn packets to make the tournament happen, and to Jonathan Magin, Ike Jose, and Mike Bentley, who freelanced questions. Finally, thanks to Trygve Meade and Mehdi Razvi, who didn't quit until their packets were ready, even late into the nights.

There's more I'd like to say, again, but I don't think I'll be able to manage anymore now. I look forward to hearing the tournament discussion, but please hold off until after next when Mississippi State hosts the tournament (next Sunday). Please email with feedback at any time though ([email protected]). I would love to hear what you thought.

-Chris
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

For what its worth, the top bracket was Brown, VCU, Columbia, Harvard, "Former Maggie Walker Players", and Dan. I think those are the top six in order.
This was great, if a bit longer than expected. Without specifics, I'll just say I eagerly await the posted set so I can study some deep third parts. I officially love coming to tournaments to moderate and playing on a successful scab team.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Without mentioning any specifics, I would just like to say that this was a great tournament, perhaps the most enjoyable one I've played since Minnesota Open. I think Chris and his editing team did a great job; the logistics were a little slow, but other than that it was a very enjoyable tournament full of great questions.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Jeaton1 wrote:http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Stats are up. Thanks to everyone who came to play and came to help staff what I think was a very successful tournament. I hope everyone who played at UMD and at the mirrors enjoyed this set.
Could you enable Round Report (and when doing so, put the packet names in)?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Yuna

grapesmoker wrote:Without mentioning any specifics, I would just like to say that this was a great tournament, perhaps the most enjoyable one I've played since Minnesota Open. I think Chris and his editing team did a great job; the logistics were a little slow, but other than that it was a very enjoyable tournament full of great questions.
I also thought this was an excellent, solid, accessible (easier than Penn Bowl or ACF Winter IMO) tournament, especially given the haste in which Chris et al. had to assemble everything. It was also really good to see new teams like Georgetown and Villanova show up; they seemed to enjoy it and will hopefully show up to many more tournaments in the future.
DumbJaques wrote:stats seem to be missing the Brown-VCU playoff game. I don't have the stat sheet, but I think it was around 450+ to 120ish, and was marked by Brown buzzing in on all twenty tossups.

After that, both teams elected to scrimmage on the finals packet. A team of (I think) Jerry Vinokurov, Eric Mukherjee, Andrew Lim, and Chris White defeated (again, I think) Matt Weiner, Evan Adams, Brennan (?) from VCU, and Jonathan Magin, about 380-250 or something like that. Someone with a scoresheet can fill in the blanks.
I believe the final score was 515-115; hopefully folks can fill in the rest of the stats. Also, Andrew Alexander was on the VCU team for the scrimmage round.
Chris White
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

This was an easier set than Winter, but not easier than Penn Bowl. However, I think the hard bonus parts were better calibrated at this tournament, and there were very few tossups of the "figure it out" variety.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Just wondering, who were the two that played for Brown?
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Jeaton1
Wakka

Post by Jeaton1 »

Xbalanque was Jerry and Hunhapu was Eric.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Jeaton1 wrote:Xbalanque was Jerry and Hunhapu was Eric.
Wow, Mukherjesus indeed. 23 powers on 60 buzzes?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I had two powers against "UMBC B," by the way. So 2-5-1, I think? No biggie.
Andrew Watkins
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Yeah there are probably a few individual stat mistakes - I know I had one power against Penn, no big though.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
at your pleasure
Auron

Out of curiosity, when will the packets be posted?

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Anti-Climacus wrote:Out of curiosity, when will the packets be posted?
There's a mirror next week, so it may be a while.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Georgetown had a great time at our first tournament, especially for having just started a few days ago. Thanks to all from UMD and anyone else who was involved.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Thanks for the positive feedback. For the record, the editing team for this tournament consisted of myself, Jeremy Eaton on SCIENCE, and Jeff Amoros, who corrected the absolutely staggering amount of copy errors I made. Maryland newcomers Jack Kennedy and SteveJohn Guth also helped out. We all pulled an all nighter Friday and went with little sleep during the week to get this done, so it's quite meaningful to hear our efforts were worthwhile.

In addition to welcoming any feedback, I am happy to provide feedback on submitted material. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
at your pleasure
Auron

I hate to be a bother, but when will the set be posted? I think that there are no mirrors.
EDIT: No more mirrors.

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Check out the discussion thread.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE