ACF Fall at UF (11-8-08)

Old college threads.
munih10
Lulu

ACF Fall at UF (11-8-08)

Post by munih10 »

UF will host ACF Fall. Contact me, Justin Byrd, at [email protected]. Soon I should learn the building in which the tournament will take place.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
munih10
Lulu

Re: ACF Fall at UF (11-8-08)

Post by munih10 »

The tournament will take place in the Matherly Building in the northeast part of campus near the intersection of University Ave. and 13th St.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

It looks like UGA will be there with anywhere from 3-7 teams. We'll be in touch with the exact number. This is confirmed for Sat. though right? That's important for us since we didn't want to do a Sunday one.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Can we get an update on the field?
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Is this tournament going to have discounts for buzzers, travel, moderators, etc?
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Auron

Also, what is the fee to play in this tournament?
Eric D.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm pretty sure they have to charge $120, per the ACF guidelines. We are fortunately for that, since if they charge $110 for a high school tournament, who knows what absurd fee they would charge for a college tournament.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

It looks like UGA will be here with 5 teams...if this tournament is actually still happening.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

If past experience with UF is any indication, this tournament will still happen, even if nobody seems to know what is going on. FSU will definitely send one team, maybe two, and will also bring a buzzer.
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion. The tournament is happening. We're intending to do registration at 8:30 am on Nov. 8th in the Matherly Building and to start rounds by 9. We are using the ACF pay structure. Please e-mail me ([email protected]) if you are interested in coming, so we can work out the fee. I have ten teams on my list:
Central Florida CC (2)
New College (2)
Manatee CC
St. Petersburg College
Chipola JC
FSU (2)
South Florida JC

I have heard interest from USF, UGA, and USC. It would work out nicely if we could get to 16-18 teams.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

Quick addendum to the team list: North Florida CC and USC (2 teams)
So we have 13 plus 5 UGA plus possibly USF.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

We had a fair number of late drop-outs, so UGA will only be bringing four teams to this tournament.
Jonathan Okon
UGA '09
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

ChopinManiac wrote:We had a fair number of late drop-outs, so UGA will only be bringing four teams to this tournament.
Jonathan,

Would you e-mail me to discuss UGA fee? Are you planning to bring any buzzers?
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

We have 16 teams for sure, and possibly two more. I want your imput on how the structure the tournament. I am thinking two groups for round robin and then a short playoff (2 rounds) involving the top four teams. The top Div I team and top Div II teams will receive trophies and we will have book prizes for individuals. If anyone has any different ideas or has concerns about any of these details, post and I will try to correct it as quickly as I can.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

i know, like, I'm not attending this site, but I really don't think 9 rounds + final is enough rounds for a college tournament where teams are paying $120. This isn't high school anymore, this is the big times.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

GARBAGE DAY 425 wrote:i know, like, I'm not attending this site, but I really don't think 9 rounds + final is enough rounds for a college tournament where teams are paying $120. This isn't high school anymore, this is the big times.
No it's cool; I was hoping for imput.

I have two new possibilities. We can play the initial 7 rounds of round robin, then rebracket into 4 groups of 4 teams each, which would mean 10 rounds. Or, we can rebracket into groups of 8 and do another 7 rounds to reach a total of 14. I'd like to hear people's preferences.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

munih10 wrote:We have 16 teams for sure, and possibly two more. I want your imput on how the structure the tournament. I am thinking two groups for round robin and then a short playoff (2 rounds) involving the top four teams. The top Div I team and top Div II teams will receive trophies and we will have book prizes for individuals. If anyone has any different ideas or has concerns about any of these details, post and I will try to correct it as quickly as I can.
Two prelim brackets plus a few rounds of cross-bracketed playoffs (play the teams in similar position in the other bracket- 3/3/3 for an 18 team field, or 4/4 for a 16 team field) would probably be the best way to go- that would give everyone eleven rounds. If you have the extra time, you could also have a full playoff round-robin instead of just cross-bracketed.

It's generally considered good practice at the college level to give everyone at least ten rounds, and not use single-elimination for the playoffs. People like to feel as if they've got their money's worth.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The ACF rules require a minimum of 11 games in normal circumstances, and also allow editors to set mandatory formats. I'm sure ACF Fall editor-in-chief Andrew Hart would be happy to design a format for you if you need him to.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

The cross bracketing idea seems to fulfill the 11 round requirement. That looks like the way to go, even if we get two extra teams at the last minute.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---

Oh, one thing I forgot - what are you going to do about byes for teams that wrote packets? I doubt you'll have enough packets to comfortably run your schedule without having to bust out something one of your teams contributed.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

munih10 wrote:The cross bracketing idea seems to fulfill the 11 round requirement. That looks like the way to go, even if we get two extra teams at the last minute.
That sounds good. Email me if you need any help with this.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

GARBAGE DAY 425 wrote:Oh, one thing I forgot - what are you going to do about byes for teams that wrote packets? I doubt you'll have enough packets to comfortably run your schedule without having to bust out something one of your teams contributed.
That's a good question. Most of our teams are young and did not have to contribute packets. FSU and two UGA teams did, but I think they are the only ones. Hopefully we'll have enough packets to avoid using one written by any of these teams.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
Auron

munih10 wrote:
GARBAGE DAY 425 wrote:Oh, one thing I forgot - what are you going to do about byes for teams that wrote packets? I doubt you'll have enough packets to comfortably run your schedule without having to bust out something one of your teams contributed.
That's a good question. Most of our teams are young and did not have to contribute packets. FSU and two UGA teams did, but I think they are the only ones. Hopefully we'll have enough packets to avoid using one written by any of these teams.
South Carolina's A team submitted a packet.
Eric D.

As did New College.

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

There will be 18 packets available for ACF Fall. UF should be able to comfortably run the tournament without using any of the packets written by teams attending.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Magister Ludi wrote:There will be 18 packets available for ACF Fall. UF should be able to comfortably run the tournament without using any of the packets written by teams attending.
....as long as Doug Robeson doesn't show up and read the wrong rounds.
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

Our tournament is now over after a very long day. Stats can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/jase887/webrep ... dings.html

Results
Div I: 1st place - University of South Carolina A
2nd place - University of Georgia A

Div II: 1st place - New College
2nd place - Florida State

Note: Central Florida did not send either of its two teams so in their place we had a wonderful assortment of players take up their mantle. If I had known, I would have changed the format.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm pretty sure half those players on the New College team actually go to UCF, so I guess that means FSU got first place in Div2?
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Oh yah, I forgot to mention how at least 3 of those players on New College are juniors in college.
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

I apologize for my error. Chipola finished third in Div II by our reckoning, so it seems they deserve recognition here as 2nd place.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---