Masterplots?

Old college threads.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Masterplots?

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I've heard of them, but I can't seem to find them anywhere....Can anyone help?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: Masterplots?

Post by dtaylor4 »

Through the University of Illinois, I have access to Magill OnLiterature, which incorporates Masterplots, as well as a laundry list of other texts, and find it very useful for questions.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

this is what I use
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

dtaylor4 wrote:Through the University of Illinois, I have access to Magill OnLiterature, which incorporates Masterplots, as well as a laundry list of other texts, and find it very useful for questions.
I heartily endorse this product or service.

If RPI does not offer access to Magill (as Ohio State does not), check your public library. Cleveland Public offers access to cardholders so your library might as well.
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Magill online is great. It has the bonus of including all of the other Magill publications like Cyclopedia of Literary Characters and some author biography books. Plus you can search them all at once with cool stuff such author nationality/ethnicity/gender/etc. or publication date. Sometimes I use those features to remind me of things that are possibilities for bonus answers that don't immediately come to my mind. Of course, if you're not affiliated with a university, it might be hard to get it.

There are of course print versions of all of these books, which I assume could be had on Amazon or something. They tend to have gone through many printings, so there are probably old ones nobody wants available.

Re: eNotes. My general policy is not to pay for services like this, because usually you can find some library that has a similar service that you can somehow claim affilation with (that or find somewhat who will lend you credentials). And if you're at university, your library spends a ton of money every year on this stuff. It probably has something comparable available. If they don't, you could probably request they get it.
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hee hee, I remember when I was a high school sophomore and tried to read through the first volume of Masterplots. I spent weeks (years) waiting for a question about Hervey Allen's Anthony Adverse to come up.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Man, Anthony Adverse is classic in every sense of the word. I'll certainly do my best to limit the amount of tournaments you play without mention of it.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

You can also try used bookstores/library sales. I found a copy of the Fourth Series, two volumes, for <$10.
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor