ACF Winter Southeast @ UGA (1/17/09)

Old college threads.
cchiego
Yuna

ACF Winter Southeast @ UGA (1/17/09)

Post by cchiego »

This is the official announcement of the University of Georgia's Southeastern mirror of ACF Winter, to be held on January 17th, 2009.

This is a packet-submission event and the difficulty is advertised as being similar to that of a regular-season event; harder than ACF Fall, but similar to the 07 and 08 iterations of Penn Bowl. For the full announcement of ACF Winter, please see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6634

PACKET REQUIREMENT (quoted from the ACF website): "Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2007 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2008-2009. All ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments for this purpose, but trash or "hybrid" tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT "invitational series" questions do not. This test is applied to each individual team, not to your school's contingent as a whole."

Note: The no-penalty deadline for required packets is Dec. 13th, so we highly recommend teams begin getting together a packet if they are required to submit.

FEES (per ACF):
Base fee: $120
Buzzer systems: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (max 1 per team)
Travel: -$10 for every 200 miles traveled
International: -$20
Teams new to ACF: -$25
Teams new to quizbowl: -$75
High school teams: -$50

LOCATION/TIME: Likely the journalism building, where we usually host, with registration from 8:30 to 9:00 and play beginning as close to 9:15 as possible. If you are not there by 9:15, play may begin without you.

DIRECTIONS: Athens can be a kind of confusing place to navigate around, so here are instructions for teams once you get on the Perimeter Loop (SR 10) that circles Athens. If you're coming from the West (SR 316) or South (US 129), take the loop to the EAST (right) until you get to the College Station Rd. exit and turn left onto College Station Rd. If you're coming from the North (US 441, from I-85), take the loop to the SOUTHEAST (left) until you get to College Station Rd. and take the exit to the right onto College Station rd. Once on College Station Rd., cross the railroad tracks and take a right onto East Campus Road. Follow East Campus past the stadium and up a hill; just past the crest of the hill, turn left onto Hooper Rd. and then take an immediate right into the parking lot (the gates will be up since it's Saturday). Park here and you have the best access to the center of campus. The large brick building immediately adjacent to the lot is Psychology; keep walking past Psychology (away from East Campus Rd.) and the next big building (which is partially attached to Psychology) is Journalism.

LODGING/FOOD: See http://uga.edu/quizbowl/helpful.php

CONTACT: If you have any other questions or would like to register for this tournament, please send me an email at [email protected] . I'll post a field update once we start getting a list of interested teams.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cchiego
Yuna

Re: ACF Winter Southeast @ UGA (1/17/09)

Post by cchiego »

EDIT: See field update below.

Nice to see some newer teams enthusiastic about this tournament; I think credit has to go to Eric Douglass' excellent Southeastern Quizbowl newsletter for keeping these other teams in the loop. As always, send us an email at uga.quizbowl at gmail to register or if you have any questions.
Last edited by cchiego on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Chris C.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Put UA down as interested.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Pretty sure FSU will send a team.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Is the "Central Florida" listed Central Florida CC (of Ocala) or UCF of Orlando?

Also, I'm going to try to bring two Valencia teams, but I'll confirm the week after Thanksgiving and get back to you.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
kactigger
Lulu

Post by kactigger »

How could I get a copy of the Southeastern quizbowl newsletter?

Kevin C.
Kevin C (formerly U of Florida, long ago)
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

kactigger wrote:How could I get a copy of the Southeastern quizbowl newsletter?

Kevin C.
Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] so that I can put you on the list. Also, anyone else who is interested in the newsletter can do the same. The newsletter is basically a bunch of links to helpful websites and tournament announcements; it's definitely nothing fancy, but hopefully it keeps folks who don't read the message board in the loop.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Real quick question. I have not played any college tournaments and I would like to try it for the first time. Will I have to submit a packet, if not then put me down as interested
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

uga_chris wrote:PACKET REQUIREMENT (quoted from the ACF website): "Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2007 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2008-2009. All ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments for this purpose, but trash or "hybrid" tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT "invitational series" questions do not. This test is applied to each individual team, not to your school's contingent as a whole."

FEES (per ACF):
Base fee: $120
Buzzer systems: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (max 1 per team)
Travel: -$10 for every 200 miles traveled
International: -$20
Teams new to ACF: -$25
Teams new to quizbowl: -$75
High school teams: -$5
No, but you can do so for a nice discount.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Real quick question. I have not played any college tournaments and I would like to try it for the first time. Will I have to submit a packet, if not then put me down as interested
Yep, like George said there's no need for a packet but you're more than welcome to write one. And if you want to come or have any questions, try to send us an email so we can correspond if need be.
Chris C.
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

We're interested in coming...
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

As of 12/31/08, we have a pretty large field registered for ACF Winter Southeast. If your name is on this list, please make sure that you can still make it and let us know how many teams you expect to bring as soon as possible if there's a "?" next to your name. We might have to cap the field at 24 to maintain reader quality (unless you're bringing an experienced, competent reader- let us know if you are) and we're looking at over 20 teams right now, so let us know ASAP.

Confirmed
Georgia Tech (1)
Alabama (1-2?)
FSU (1-2?)
Berry (1)
MSU (1)
USC (2)
Vanderbilt (1)
The Citadel (1)
South Florida (1)
Emory (1)
Oxford College of Emory (1)
U of Central Florida, aka Vitello et. al. (1)
Valencia (2)
NE AL CC (1)
"GPC" aka Slade et. al. (1, open)
Eric Blair et. al. (1, open)
ASFA (1, HS)
Total: 19-21

Maybes
Florida (1?)
Chattahoochee (1?, HS)
Last edited by cchiego on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Chris C.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Wow, this is awesome. Why wasn't there this much turnout for ACF Fall at UTK? :sad:

Also, if that's Robert Slade listed as the open team, doesn't he go to GPC? (I'm asking this question out of ignorance, not anything else - at COTKU the "GPC" team was him playing solo, so that's why I'm asking) I wonder why there is a GPC team listed but also him?
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia's practice today confirms we'll bring two teams of three players each. I'll read.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Jack had mentioned to me last time I talked to him that Vandy would likely attend, so hopefully that will be the case.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

AdamL wrote:Wow, this is awesome. Why wasn't there this much turnout for ACF Fall at UTK? :sad:

Also, if that's Robert Slade listed as the open team, doesn't he go to GPC? (I'm asking this question out of ignorance, not anything else - at COTKU the "GPC" team was him playing solo, so that's why I'm asking) I wonder why there is a GPC team listed but also him?
3 different sites all across the southeast compared to one central location helps.

I've been told that Slade and GPC may be combining forces, but we'll await details.
Chris C.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

uga_chris wrote:
AdamL wrote:Wow, this is awesome. Why wasn't there this much turnout for ACF Fall at UTK? :sad:
3 different sites all across the southeast compared to one central location helps.
Also, Saturday tournaments help with turnout as well.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

True, but there are one or two teams listed here that, as far as I know, didn't attend any of the 3 southeast Fall sites, which is partially what I meant.

But ah right, for some reason I temporarily forgot that UTK was on a Sunday. Yeah, that probably hurt.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing Citadel or Oxford College, but that's only from one year of college play (and I didn't go to all the events GT went to).

fsb
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

If we can get our act together Emory (Atlanta Campus i.e. not Oxford) may send a team or two.
"... but not so if you're a structuralist! You're happy. You're french. You're very good looking. Very overpaid." - Sandra Blakely
Nina Charap
Stuyvesant High School '08
Emory University '12
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

catsasslippers wrote:If we can get our act together Emory (Atlanta Campus i.e. not Oxford) may send a team or two.
Nina- We'd love to see Emory send a team. Y'all would definitely get the new team discount and not have to submit a packet (at least to my knowledge).
rienzi0711 wrote:I don't recall ever seeing Citadel or Oxford College
Citadel has been registered for several tournaments, but I don't think ever actually attended them. Oxford used to attend some NAQT tournaments, but I haven't seen them elsewhere since.
Chris C.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

rienzi0711 wrote:Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing Citadel or Oxford College, but that's only from one year of college play (and I didn't go to all the events GT went to).

fsb
I second Chris's notion of The Citadel registering lots of times but failing to show up. I feel like maybe one time they actually did show up at UTC, but perhaps someone from there can confirm/deny that. Oxford College actually came to EFT2 at Vandy in fall '07 too.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Chattahoochee High School might be sending 1 team to this if a spot in the field is still available. If someone from UGA could let me know about availability here on the board or at my address below, I would be most appreciative.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

We've gotten a great response from outside moderators and have plenty of competent people to field in-house, so we still have room for up to 24 teams and there are several spots left. So you're more than welcome to register, no worries.

Note: We'd still like to hear from other teams who are "maybes" in order to help finalize the logistics for us (i.e. whether we need to look into creating a house team to fill out the spots). Please let us know that as soon as possible.
Chris C.
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

Hey. Northeast Alabama Community College will bring a team if that's cool.
This looks like it's going to be a pretty awesome tournament. Even the high school teams are pretty competitive. I read for ASFA in several rounds of the Brindlee Mountain tournament , and I was very impressed with the numbers they were putting up.
Last edited by CaseRAR on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Things I love seeing: CCs showing up for more and more circuit events.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

With just over two weeks left before the tournament, we're out of "maybe" schools and into a final list of confirmed programs. Some haven't yet told us the final number of teams they're bringing though, so we really need to hear from those teams as soon as possible so I can get the schedule set.

Speaking of a schedule, here's what I'm looking at depending on the # of teams:
18 team- 9-9 RR and then 6-6-6 (13-14 rounds total, depending on byes/packets)
19 teams- will add or subtract a house team (House team may play against you during your bye too)
20 team- 10-10 RR and then 5-5-5-5 (13-14 rounds total, depending on byes/packets)
21 team- two tiers of 7-7-7 RRs (12 rounds total)

Here's the final list of schools:
Georgia Tech (1)
Alabama (1)
FSU (1)
MSU (1)
USC (2)
The Citadel (1)
Emory (1, New Team)
U of Central Florida, aka Vitello et. al. (1)
Oxford College of Emory (1)
Valencia CC (2)
NE AL CC (1)
"GPC" aka Slade et. al. (1, open)
ASFA (1, HS)
House (1)
Total: 16 (May be more or less, depending on various circumstances)
Last edited by cchiego on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chris C.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

UA shouls be bringing only one team with all freshmen.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Sadly, schools are beginning to drop like flies. We need confirmation from the teams who originally said that they were coming in order to figure out who's actually going to show up. At this rate, we might be back to a full round-robin of 14 or so teams. Please respond too if I emailed you about finances so we have an idea of what you're going to be bringing. A final email will go out Wednesday or Thursday night with final reminders/instructions.
Chris C.
Quizzical
Lulu

Post by Quizzical »

NACC (Northeast ala comm college) will definitely be there with one team. In case of a cancellation, please call me at 256.228.6001, x 441. Thanks

Daphne Huntley, Instructor/ Sponsor
NACC
Daphne Huntley/NACC
(Northeast Ala. Comm. College)
[email protected]
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Unless there's a blizzard (and even maybe if there is) we won't cancel; we'll still have enough teams to play, but we just need to know who's going to show up.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

After the initial round-robin groups, we've divided into Upper and Lower brackets:

Team/PPB/Margin
USC A- 16.93/333
UCF- 16.05/241.7
FSU- 14.59/223.3
House- 11.48/110
Tech- 10.67/86.7
GPC- 9.64/48.3
Alabama- 12.27/16.7
Valencia A- 7.65/-78.3

ASFA- 7.73/-35
NE AL CC- 7.5/-80
MSU- 9.0 /-95
Berry- 3.75/-78.3
Valencia B- 7.78/-101.7
Oxford- 2.5/-161.7
USC B- 6.25/-210
Citadel- 2.0 /-220

More results to come.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Chris C.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Since this could conceivably matter at some point, you might want to check out how USC A had 21 tossups in a game, leading to 5 ppb.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Thanks, yeah that was a statkeeper typo.
Chris C.
Quizzical
Lulu

Post by Quizzical »

Special thanks for rapid-fire stats posting. This will help us with press release!
Daphne Huntley/NACC
(Northeast Ala. Comm. College)
[email protected]
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Congratulations to South Carolina A who defeated FSU in the finals in the UGA Mirror of ACF Winter with a victory in the final over FSU.

Top individuals were Billy from FSU, Robert from USC, Alvin (a high schooler) from ASFA, and Casey from NE AL CC.

Stats are partially up at: http://mahmed11.myweb.uga.edu/acccff_st ... _team.html
We still have some work to do on them, but you should get the general idea.

Teams played an initial round-robin with 4 teams each and then split into lower and upper brackets. At the end, we had another round robin with the teams that decided to remain to play and without the exhibition teams (GPC and UCF). Stats were recorded for the top two remaining brackets.

I want to thank Bryn Reincke, Eric Douglass, and Chris Borglum for serving as excellent readers, allowing us to get through the rounds relatively quickly. All the members of the UGA team too who gave up their Saturday to come help out are also deeply appreciated. Special thanks goes to Trygve Meade who provided a wealth of information and instant advice over the phone when needed; ACF knows how to do customer service.

Thanks to all the teams who showed up and we hope to see you at the SCT in a few weeks.
Chris C.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

This was brought up in the Winter discussion thread, but I'm addressing it here so it's not a distraction:

First off, I want to say that this is not an attempt at completely justifying our decision to leave; in retrospect, and after speaking with people and learning some [apparent] basics about tournament bracketing theory, I realize that this was a dumb thing to do in the eyes of the circuit, and unfair for the teams that may have been hoping to play against us again. Furthermore, I apologize for cheating those teams out of a game against us, though I think I heard that the format of the playoffs was switched around somehow such that people were satisfied in terms of quantity of games played, for which I'm glad and relieved. Also, I'm speaking for myself here, but I think I echo the sentiments of the two players who voted along with me to leave; two of our five players did want to stay. Finally, the TD did announce that teams could request to leave at that point. That doesn't justify our leaving, per se, but I feel like I should note that we weren't just going "Fuck you, we're outta here" and leaving whenever we felt like it, as opposed to what has happened in the past with certain teams at certain tournaments.

Our main reason for leaving was that we were tired (yes, a lame excuse in and of itself, especially as it was only 5 oclock or around then, and only 9 rounds played so far) coupled with the fact that we didn't feel like, based on our inconsistent [to say the least, crappy to say the worst] play, we deserved to be in the championship bracket. I particularly felt like it would be unfair of us to potentially finish in 1st place when I felt we didn't belong there in the first place, though I have now realized/learned that first was mathematically unlikely (or impossible?) due to morning records carrying over. This was a grave oversight on my part, and nullifies any sort of "tournament result would have been unfair" argument I might've offered.

What happened in the tournament was the 16 teams were split "arbitrarily" into groups of 4 for 3 initial rounds of pooled round robin play, then the top 2 teams from each bracket went into the top group, and the bottom 2 went into the bottom, and the two groups each had another round robin (excluding a repeat match between teams that played in the morning). Afterwards, the total results were tallied for top and bottom separately and teams were split into final playoff brackets of 4. Out of those first 9 games, GT went 5-4, which was apparently inferior to at least one open team, "UCF". Another open team, "GPC", may or may not have also been statistically ahead of GT (that is to say, I don't know whether they were or weren't). But these open teams were not allowed to play in the championship bracket, so we were thrust in there instead.

I had an issue with the fact that we were getting into the championship bracket ahead of teams that were more worthy than us (i.e. UCF, who was statistically ahead). Furthermore, specifically pertaining to this tournament, our team felt like we were likely to be thrashed by the top teams (indeed, we had already suffered 400+ point losses to both USC and FSU) and would have had competitive games against teams that were "more our level" in the 5-8 bracket, and vice versa, a team like UCF would theoretically have had more competitive games against the teams in the top bracket and would not be [theoretically] beating up on the teams in the 5-8 bracket. I guess my point here is that I felt like inappropriate matchups were being created on both sides for the sole reason that open teams weren't allowed in the championship bracket, and I thought that kind of sucked. What I thought would've been more appropriate is for the open team to play in the top bracket as they were supposed to, and at the end of the day when calculating final standings, the open teams would simply be dropped from consideration. All this said, I now understand that (to sum it up briefly) "that's the way the rules work", which had been lost on me before.

So, in sum, I realize that it was a dumb thing for us to leave the tournament early, though I'll defend myself slightly by claiming ignorance of the rules that govern bracketing with open teams and championship eligibility and such. Our leaving was a function of both that (and the misunderstandings it implies) and just plain being tired - which meant that we felt like leaving, and then feeling like the playoff brackets were screwed up pushed us over the edge, so to speak. It's a weak excuse at best, and certainly no justification, and I'm extremely apologetic to any people that were disappointed by our choice. I'll certainly not be making the same mistakes again, now that I know how things work.

(By the way, not that it matters much, but Atlanta is definitely not less than an hour away from Athens, as someone said in the other thread)
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12