Anouncement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Anouncement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello Quizbowlers,

I am pleased to be able to announce the first ever Missouri Open: Race 4 Ya Pink Slips to be held on Saturday June 6th, 2009. This packet submission event edited by Shantanu Jha, Auroni Gupta, and me (with some potential additions to that list in the future) will be held at the University of Missouri in Columbia, MO. Our distribution will be identical to the ACF distribution, which is

5/5 Literature
5/5 History
5/5 Science
3/3 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography
1/1 Trash, Current Events, and “Other”

A more detailed breakdown by subjects can be found here - http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packe ... stribution . The tournament will be aiming for that nebulous “between regionals and nationals” difficulty, akin to events like the Illinois Opens, Minnesota Open, VCU Open, or Chicago Open 2007. If you are unsure of how hard to write your packet, consult those events.

Our fees will be as follows:
Base fee per team is $120.
Any packet turned in by January 31st will let your team play for free and I will buy your team a pizza at Shakespeare's.
A $100 discount will be offered for any packets sent by February 28th.
A $50 discount for packets sent by April 4th.
A $25 discount for packets sent by April 18th.
$0 discount for packets sent by May 2nd.
$25 added for packets sent by May 9th.
$50 added for packets sent by May 16th.
And a $5 discount for each buzzer system your team brings.

For packets sent after that, we will come up with some kind of extra fees on a case by case basis, with your team running the risk of not being allowed to play. Any packet that is found to have plagiarism will be returned to the sender to be rewritten if they want to play in the tournament, and will be charged an extra $200. Every team playing must submit a packet. However, if you are not playing but just like writing questions, we would be more than happy to take freelance work, and may offer future discounts in exchange.

Because this is an open tournament, we are interested in running one or two side-events during the weekend. There is a literature singles in the works, and if anyone else is interested in writing some event, please let us know. Another event of note around the date of this tournament is the MSHSAA Academic Competition Advisory Committee meeting, which some people in the past have discussed dropping in on, so what better opportunity! In any case, hopefully there will be multiple events to keep people occupied for the weekend and make the trip worth it.

As a sidenote, we are willing to have this set mirrored pretty much anywhere on the east and west coasts. If your school fits that definition and is interested in mirroring, please contact us.

All emails about this tournament, be it about packet submission, mirroring, or just asking questions, should be sent to [email protected]. I hope you can make it out to Columbia this June.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Anouncement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Surely Minnesota will send some teams to this.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'd love to attend this, but Columbia seems really difficult to get to. Is there any possible host in Kansas City, notably served by Southwest Airlines?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Wow, that's late in the year... as this will be probably be a week before finals, that'll be tough. Two weeks earlier or two weeks later would be better.

But I'll sure as hell try to be there.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

There are a grand total of 0 active collegiate programs there, and I don't know of any way to reserve space anywhere in Kansas City, so unless there is a massive clamor for it I probably won't look to deep into that option. Sorry Bruce.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I wish tournaments (especially first-time-ever tournaments) had wackier names.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I may do something insane that finds me attending this tournament.
Andrew Watkins
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

As much as I'd love staffing this thing, it's right in the middle of finals :(
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Are you sure you want to edit a tournament right in the middle of finals, Auroni?

Unless you get done with the packets a couple of weeks before the tournament (I think this starts converging to 0 probability really quickly; alternatively you can get done with studying a couple of weeks before finals, yeah right.), it might be a really really bad idea to stress yourself with editing a tournament.

If you feel you're capable, go ahead. I'd hate to see you not do well on finals because you had to spend time on a quizbowl tournament.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.

Yeah, when we set this up I wasn't aware that these were your finals Auroni. If you want to do something different for editing because of that then let me know.
In any case, do colleges really go that late? Like, everywhere I've looked seems to get out by the middle of May. If like a ton of people are in the middle of finals still then I would be amenable to moving it.

Auron

Many schools on the quarter system probably go that late. The University of Chicago certainly goes well into June.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Who is tentatively writing the literature event? Is it Auroni?
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE

Yes, it will apparently be a relatively short world literature singles. I will let Auroni announce it more in-depth when he gets closer. Also, excitingly we have an addition to the slate of side events, with a so-called "Eurofest" to be written by Bruce Arthur. Now with that and free pizza, what could go wrong!

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Yes, it will apparently be a relatively short world literature singles.
Hey, someone decided to write a tournament about my favorite thing!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Carleton has exams from the 6th to the 8th, so this tournament probably won't fly. I'll see if I can produce a packet for this either solo or with my teammates, or I can help in editing by playtesting on the IRC or whatever.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I can almost see myself coming to this. What's the best way to get to Columbia?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

theMoMA wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Yes, it will apparently be a relatively short world literature singles.
Hey, someone decided to write a tournament about my favorite thing!
heh, it was actually going to be 6 rounds of 15 question Japanese literature singles written maybe with the help of Daichi Ueda.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

yeah, I still want to edit this thing.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

grapesmoker wrote:I can almost see myself coming to this. What's the best way to get to Columbia?
Drive. And pick me up on the way.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF

For people interested in traveling, Columbia is literally right in the middle of Missouri, so it is almost exactly halfway between St. Louis and Kansas City. I can't promise anything, but there may be a way for us to pick up a carload at one of those airports the day before the tournament. Otherwise, pick whichever of those airports is cheapest and probably carpooling, renting a car, or riding the Mo-X shuttle (about $80 round trip) or a bus in to Columbia would work best to get you in town.

ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:For people interested in traveling, Columbia is literally right in the middle of Missouri, so it is almost exactly halfway between St. Louis and Kansas City. I can't promise anything, but there may be a way for us to pick up a carload at one of those airports the day before the tournament. Otherwise, pick whichever of those airports is cheapest and probably carpooling, renting a car, or riding the Mo-X shuttle (about $80 round trip) or a bus in to Columbia would work best to get you in town.
Assuming I am able to go, I would be able to take 2-3 people from KCI to Columbia if necessary. Also, Northwest does have a couple of daily flights between Columbia Regional Airport and Memphis.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!

Aah, I didn't know that. If you fly in to Columbia Regional then I'm sure we could get people to pick you up. Something else to consider might be that Amtrak goes through Jefferson City, which is close enough we could presumably also get you to Columbia safely.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hilarius Bookbinder wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:I can almost see myself coming to this. What's the best way to get to Columbia?
Drive. And pick me up on the way.
You're not even close to being on the way! I guess you could take a bus to Cincinnati or something and then I could pick you up, but I'm not making a 4-hour detour into TN even if I'm insane enough to drive.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I am definitely interested in playing, especially if I can hitch a ride from someone coming from the southwest (I'm just north of Lincoln, less than a mile off Highway 65, about 90 miles southwest of Columbia). Playing or not, I still plan to write a packet and get it in before the first deadline of January 31. Also, I should note that Amtrak in Missouri is terrible and usually way behind schedule due to the passenger train being delayed by freight trains hogging the rails.
Jason Mueller, former University of Missouri player
Susan

Post by Susan »

There's always Megabus!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Whig's Boson wrote:I'd love to attend this, but Columbia seems really difficult to get to. Is there any possible host in Kansas City, notably served by Southwest Airlines?
Columbia is served by either 1) Northwest Airlines via Memphis or 2) The MO-X shuttle from either St. Louis or Kansas City airports. That said, it's still a pain to get to, being two hours from the nearest real air hub.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

So I'm in St. Louis right now, and I got here via Southwest. I think Charlie said its not too bad of a drive from here.

Also, I'd love to come to this.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:So I'm in St. Louis right now, and I got here via Southwest. I think Charlie said its not too bad of a drive from here.

Also, I'd love to come to this.
Not bad, no, but two hours.
Katy
Auron

Is there any hope of a DC mirror of this? I've figured that since I have to work on Fridays, I can only make the tournament if it is held in DC (as DC is the only place with an active quizbowl circuit nearby that I can fly to overnight). Also, it is a noted fact that pretty much everyone in quizbowl (except me) is from the DC area, or at least from Virginia or Maryland, so I'm sure it will be popular with non-Bruces as well.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus

As seen, there are now announcements for Eurofest (here) and an Asian Lit singles (here). I would be amendable to adding another mini-event to the weekend (say, no longer than 6 rounds) to run on Saturday night, or if not, this sounds like a prime opportunity to run a couple novelty packets and have a pretty relaxed open weekend with everyone not having hectic nonstop quizbowl late into the evening. If anyone has something they want to write a packet about, let me know and I'll probably run it.

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Charlie:

I've heard talk of a comic book themed event perhaps around the time of Nationals (written by George Berry?), so I hesitate to suggest this so as not to step on anyone's toes, but I've begun writing a 6 packet (20 TU/Bonus) set of comic book questions. The packets would take an extremely broad view of comic books, including all media portrayals of comic books and an extremely small distribution of "comic-book-like" questions (i.e., questions about superheroes that were not necessarily in comic books). The difficulty would be fairly reasonable--the answers would be fairly well known things based on good clues (i.e., TUs would be more along the lines of "Lois Lane" instead of "Lori Lemaris," bonuses would be obviously tougher). This is meant to make it fairly accessible even to those who are not gigantic comic book fans. I plan on writing this over the holiday break, and I've already got the distribution for each packet down.

So let me know if this would work for you, or if anyone wants to jump in and suggest a better timing/usage of the set (again, sorry if I'm stealing anyone else's thunder--I'm very amenable to pushing this back or forward), let me know.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:As seen, there are now announcements for Eurofest (here) and an Asian Lit singles (here). I would be amendable to adding another mini-event to the weekend (say, no longer than 6 rounds) to run on Saturday night, or if not, this sounds like a prime opportunity to run a couple novelty packets and have a pretty relaxed open weekend with everyone not having hectic nonstop quizbowl late into the evening. If anyone has something they want to write a packet about, let me know and I'll probably run it.
I could probably supply a novelty packet or two. I've also had ideas of running a guerilla theme tournament where people write subject packets on things they're interested in. The world could finally see that South African Lit or Computer Science or Bad Religion packet or whatever. Maybe this would be the place for such an event.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I could probably supply a novelty packet or two. I've also had ideas of running a guerilla theme tournament where people write subject packets on things they're interested in. The world could finally see that South African Lit or Computer Science or Bad Religion packet or whatever. Maybe this would be the place for such an event.
I can guarantee you that Kyle will be interested in writing a tournament for such a thing.
Andrew Watkins
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

I wanted to attend this event so bad, yet it is the day of my graduation from high school,
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, I'd be up for writing some sort of novelty packet.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I've also had ideas of running a guerilla theme tournament where people write subject packets on things they're interested in. The world could finally see that South African Lit or Computer Science or Bad Religion packet or whatever. Maybe this would be the place for such an event.
This is what TTGT11 has always aspired to be, and rarely (never?) been. Perhaps if TTGT11 ends up actually being canceled rather than postponed indefinitely, this can takes its place.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

cvdwightw wrote:This is what TTGT11 has always aspired to be, and rarely (never?) been. Perhaps if TTGT11 ends up actually being canceled rather than postponed indefinitely, this can takes its place.
I seriously doubt that TTGT11 will happen next semester (or ever again, for that matter). I'd much rather see something like this happen every summer, and would be happy to participate.
Paul Drube, University of Iowa

In honor of the very first tossup being written for this event, I'm posting to remind everyone that if they are interested in attending, there is still plenty of time to write a packet and get your team a free pizza.

Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I may or may not be able to come to this; I'll decide based on my mental state and job status (I wish) as this draws closer.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, Charlie, it's way early, but any word on potential mirrors? Depending where the east coast mirror is, in the summer, it may be easier for me to get there rather than Missourah.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm about 99% certain that Maryland will be mirroring this on the East Coast, which will hopefully prove to be popular with Bruces and Non-Bruces alike. A couple of people on my team expressed an interest in trying to do a Chris McCray or ASS or whatever trash tournament to go along with it, but I have no idea if that fits into Charlie's plans or if it's even likely to materialize, so it's an outside shot at most. I'm looking forward to the mirror, though (we would of course plan to mirror and side events that run).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

List of packets recieved by various deadlines (to be kept running)
By Pizza deadline:
Jason Mueller's team

fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:List of packets recieved by various deadlines (to be kept running)
By Pizza deadline:
Jason Mueller's team
From the only team to truly understand the worth of a Shake's pie. Nice.
Katy
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Actually, I'm still in need of transport and three teammates, so if anybody is coming through Lincoln (southwest of Columbia on Highway 65) and wants to play for free, let me know at mujason34nospamatgmail.com.
Jason Mueller, former University of Missouri player
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Well, I can't make it to the main site, but I'd still like to play the set. Are there any plans for a mirror in the mid-atlantic?
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Well, I can't make it to the main site, but I'd still like to play the set. Are there any plans for a mirror in the mid-atlantic?
Yeah, Maryland is going to mirror this. I actually thought there was an announcement up, but apparently not. It's extremely likely the mirror will be held the same weekend, though.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

DumbJaques wrote:
Yeah, Maryland is going to mirror this. I actually thought there was an announcement up, but apparently not. It's extremely likely the mirror will be held the same weekend, though.
That's fine; it's more for convenience than anything else.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Team Missouri, Eff Yeah: Jason Loy, Matt Chadbourne, Kent Buxton, Mystery Fourth (If MF fails to materialize, I will turn this into "seeking a fourth")
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11

You know you can say "fuck" in the college section, right?

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I know, I know. I would say I was self-filtering, but I actually do say "eff yeah" more often.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11