Anouncement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)

Old college threads.
mujason
Wakka

Re: Anouncement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)

Post by mujason »

I am available as a fourth; need I remind you of the benefits of my super-early packet? (Free entry and free pizza.)
Jason Mueller, former University of Missouri player
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Jason, this might actually work...I'll talk to the rest of the team though before making the final decision on a fourth.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hey everyone. My editors and I have discussed this and we decided we will open the discussion about the date up to everybody to see if we want to do it on June 6th or some other date later in the month, in order to accommodate more teams attending. If you are someone who might attend this or a mirror tournament on a different date that is later (probably a week or 2 later) please pipe up and let us know so we can try and make this event the best possible and accommodate the most people. Also, mirror hosts, I will be getting in touch with you to see if you are amenable to moving your dates around because that will also play a role in whether we change the date or not.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I can't on June 13th but June 20th and 27th are fine.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

It is likely I am not playing the Maryland mirror and definite I am not playing the main site on the current date. If the packet deadlines are moved back a couple weeks and I can join someone's team, I would be much more available on either later date to go to either site.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I'm pretty set to play the Maryland mirror and write for my team's packet but would not be able to do 6/13 or 6/20 for sure.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

The Valencia (Orlando) mirror can't go on the 13th or 20th as I'll be traveling. Perhaps we could keep the 6th even if the main and other mirror sites went later and serve as a sort of playtest for the set. We'll only have 6-7 teams, probably, half of which will be CCs, so we're looking for a casual day of QB.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Hey everyone. My editors and I have discussed this and we decided we will open the discussion about the date up to everybody to see if we want to do it on June 6th or some other date later in the month, in order to accommodate more teams attending. If you are someone who might attend this or a mirror tournament on a different date that is later (probably a week or 2 later) please pipe up and let us know so we can try and make this event the best possible and accommodate the most people. Also, mirror hosts, I will be getting in touch with you to see if you are amenable to moving your dates around because that will also play a role in whether we change the date or not.
I have already booked my ticket for 6/6 to San Diego and will be very upset if this date changes.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
sc_from_or
Lulu

Post by sc_from_or »

Like Bentley, I would be upset because I built my schedule around the San Diego tourney being on the 6th. If this gets changed to another date, it is highly doubtful I could go.......
Sean Cole
http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Oregon
University of Oregon Quiz Bowl 2001
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I believe finals for most quarter-system schools (UCLA, Irvine, Stanford?) are the week after 6/6, though I have no idea whether moving the tournament later will increase turnout (due to people not stressing out on finals) or decrease turnout (due to people not being in the area). I'm with the Pacific Northwest people in saying I'd like to keep the date the same.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I am going to the UMD site and would strongly prefer to have the tournament on 6/06.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE

Yeah, the fact that so many finals were on 6/6 (and not just in California, places like Chicago and Carleton have it then too) was mainly why we opened it up to polling, but I guess given the response we're keeping the date the same.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

What's the field looking like?

Would any attendees like to play Fake TRASHionals?

dtaylor4 wrote:What's the field looking like?
Very uncertain at the moment, but I'm not sure it's going to be very large.

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Would any attendees like to play Fake TRASHionals?
I can't, seeing as I've contributed questions. As usual, I'd be willing to read.

Hey everyone, my computer has been out of commission until very recently (late this afternoon), so if you are one of the many people who emailed me about this tournament, I apologize for not being remotely prompt. I will try to get back to all of you.

mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I still have no teammates for Missouri Open; e-mail me if you're interested. I'm mujason34 at nospamgmail.com. My team will be playing for free due to my really early packet submission.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

So - what's the field?
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

mujason wrote:I still have no teammates for Missouri Open; e-mail me if you're interested. I'm mujason34 at nospamgmail.com. My team will be playing for free due to my really early packet submission.
Hey,

You still coming?
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Unfortunately, something came up and I can't go to Missouri Open. (And I read a lot of packets to prepare for it, too!) Best of luck to all the teams and players. I hope my packet was good enough for Charlie Dees and company to use without having to intensively labor over editing it.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

What room are we to meet in, and in which building? Where should we park tomorrow?
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

If anyone person that is playing this site has sent a packet to Charlie, send it to me as well at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com, as soon as possible:

I have access to packets from:
Illinois A
Weiner/Kandlikar
Jason Mueller
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
philmsu
Lulu

Post by philmsu »

Check your e-mail; I just sent our packet to you.
Phillip George
Missouri State University '10
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Given that apparently nobody can contact the TD for this event and he didn't post where it is so I don't know, what are we supposed to do? If we're going, I have to be on the road in 7 hours.

MaS
JelloBiafra wrote:If anyone person that is playing this site has sent a packet to Charlie, send it to me as well at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com, as soon as possible:

I have access to packets from:
Illinois A
Weiner/Kandlikar
Jason Mueller
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Word on the street is be at Strickland Hall by 9:15.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Thank you, the street!

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE

Yeah, I was out today for some unexpected stuff and just got back from dinner, Strickland Hall, 2nd floor, after 9 but before 9:30 is when we'll be meeting. The field is going to be Jason Loy's team, Illinois, and Matt Weiner's team, and once we use up the in house packets some team will split (Trygve suggested Illinois could, although if somebody else would rather, go for it, we'll figure it out tomorrow) and then play all the rest of the packets in multiple Round Robins, then break for dinner and come back to do Eurofest.

Also, parking on the weekends at Mizzou is free, and there are lots very close to Strickland off of Rollins road. There is an interactive map at http://map.missouri.edu/ that should help you out. Sorry for the delay at getting this information out, they literally didn't approve the rooms for us until today.

I forgot to ask, but is anyone bringing a buzzer? We have one room covered of the 2 we will be using, so if someone else who's not in the Weiner team, since they are here and don't have a buzzer, could bring one, that would be great.

Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Yeah, I'll bring one.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Field size wackiness (only having 3 teams worth of people) turned the first Missouri Open into 3 mini-tournaments. More complete stats will come, but basically, for the first 3 games, we played off the in-house packets in a 3 team round robin. Weiner's team went 2-0. Then we seeded players based on PPG, and had the top 4 scorers (Sorice, Matt W., Kent, and I believe Trevor) hold a draft on the rest of the field, and we ran a round robin between the new teams, and Weiner's team also went undefeated. Then after lunch, we switched it up and had the new bottom 4 scorers run a draft, and Weiner's team once again won. I'm tempted to spend tomorrow tallying up how many people placed at what spot to try and come up with some kind of individual ranking over the whole event, although clearly Weiner won that as well. I'm quite glad at how generally good spirited about the whole thing everyone was, and how helpful everyone was to come up with the draft formats. Despite feeling on the verge of death, I greatly enjoy the company of other quizbowl people so this has been a fun time visitng and I'm greatly appreciative of everyone here being awesome. We are now playing Eurofest with a 4 person round robin between Trevor, Matt W., Gautam, and Mike Sorice, so we will decide after this first round robin how many more games people are planning on playing.