Announcement: Geography Monstrosity (May 2009, Chicago)

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Announcement: Geography Monstrosity (May 2009, Chicago)

Post by Important Bird Area »

Cheynem wrote:I'm pulling rank on my team and dubbing us the "Firth of Forth Four."
Consider yourself lucky I didn't pull rank on the entire field and make everyone play as randomly-chosen phrases from the Meigsblog.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
shlack
Lulu

Post by shlack »

Dear Messrs. Westbrook, Hanley, Moudgil, Wynne, Nagler, Haddad-Fonda, Beyer, Chadbourne, White, Gorman, Cheng, Manary, Tallapragada,
Anderson:
Sorry I don't know many of you personally (Evan excluded), so please excuse the forthrightness of this request: Any interest in forming a team with me?* I realize it is quite late (certainly my fault), but I would really, really like to play in this tournament. Alternately, if there is any room on either of the 'et. al.' teams I could contribute questions.

*Perhaps this could be the needed seventh team?
Ted Stratton
Brandeis '03
Important Bird Area

Warning that many of the people on that list are there because they expressed interest months ago; they probably have not written questions and may not even be at HSNCT.

That being said, some combination of them will be forming the seventh team; otherwise we'll just draft random people out of the hallways Friday night.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I won't be at HSNCT and thus will not be playing. I'd otherwise definitely form a team with you, Ted.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Important Bird Area

Could I ask for volunteers from among the people who expressed interest in staffing?

We'll need three people with laptops to read.

I'd also like to ask if someone could volunteer to share the TD position with me. Such a person would be responsible for: 1. getting the questions from George and sending them to the moderators (I can't do that because I'm playing) and 2. dealing with whatever team-formation drama happens Monday through Friday (I can't do that because I will be off birdwatching with sporadic-to-nonexistent email access). Of course I'd be happy to print a schedule Sunday if we in fact have a final field by then, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Have laptop, will read.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I'm local and I told my wife I was not going to be around next Friday night anyway as I was offering my services to Herr Blessman for his Midwest Championships. Since that event is canceled and I have a laptop... Let me know for sure if I'm needed so I know where I need to go.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'll have my laptop, and can read or scorekeep.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Important Bird Area

Thanks, all. I'll put the three of you down as moderating. If we have more staff, we can always put people to use scorekeeping or filling out short-handed teams.

As for where to show up: we'll be taking over three random rooms somewhere in the Hyatt, probably just rooms set up for scrimmages after those conclude. I do know that certain rooms in the hotel are available Friday-but-not-Saturday (and others vice versa), so there will be NAQT people moving buzzers around; in extremis we can always just go take over people's hotel rooms. Whatever we end up doing, I'll leave a note at the front desk of the hotel and the NAQT information desk (as late as that stays functional).

Still looking for someone interested in tournament-directing next week.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Thanks, all. I'll put the three of you down as moderating. If we have more staff, we can always put people to use scorekeeping or filling out short-handed teams.

As for where to show up: we'll be taking over three random rooms somewhere in the Hyatt, probably just rooms set up for scrimmages after those conclude. I do know that certain rooms in the hotel are available Friday-but-not-Saturday (and others vice versa), so there will be NAQT people moving buzzers around; in extremis we can always just go take over people's hotel rooms. Whatever we end up doing, I'll leave a note at the front desk of the hotel and the NAQT information desk (as late as that stays functional).

Still looking for someone interested in tournament-directing next week.
Have laptop, will read (and if no one else will take it) will cover logistics.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'll read.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Oh, by the way, you can throw me out of the pool of free agents, as I won't be in Chicago on Friday night. I can help write a few questions if you'd like me to, or something.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Will read/help TD
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

I'm going to be reading at HSNCT, and I'd like to know if it's still possible to latch on somewhere as a free agent. If it's too late to toss my hat in the ring with someone, I could probably help out in some other capacity, but it would be neat to get to play.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Its looking like we'll have 5 submitted packets, an editors packet and a finals packet. Which means seven teams (Hoppes/Luo, Bentley/Cohen/Wellstead, Hart/Byrne/Eppler/Cheyne, Simons/Sorice, Chiego, and I guess two teams of lazy people).

I see both Bryce and Katy have said they will TD; which one of you should I send the questions to and what is your email address?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

ClemsonQB wrote:Its looking like we'll have 5 submitted packets, an editors packet and a finals packet. Which means seven teams (Hoppes/Luo, Bentley/Cohen/Wellstead, Hart/Byrne/Eppler/Cheyne, Simons/Sorice, Chiego, and I guess two teams of lazy people).

I see both Bryce and Katy have said they will TD; which one of you should I send the questions to and what is your email address?
I've got a schedule from Jeff already in my inbox; email is kathryn dot e dot peters at gmail. Sending a backup / emergency second copy to Brice would be a wise contingency plan, though.
Katy
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

fleurdelivre wrote:
ClemsonQB wrote:Its looking like we'll have 5 submitted packets, an editors packet and a finals packet. Which means seven teams (Hoppes/Luo, Bentley/Cohen/Wellstead, Hart/Byrne/Eppler/Cheyne, Simons/Sorice, Chiego, and I guess two teams of lazy people).

I've got a schedule from Jeff already in my inbox; email is kathryn dot e dot peters at gmail. Sending a backup / emergency second copy to Brice would be a wise contingency plan, though.
Great, thanks!
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
shlack
Lulu

Post by shlack »

ClemsonQB wrote:lazy people.
<raises hand>

Stephen, space still seems to be available at the lazy town party.
Ted Stratton
Brandeis '03
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Sweet. I'll just try to find the crowd after scrimmages, and say I'm looking for the lazy people. :wink:
Stephen Fontenot
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

ClemsonQB wrote:
fleurdelivre wrote:

Great, thanks!
Yea, send me a backup copy. bdurgin AT nd DOT edu
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I don't have enough investment in a geography tournament to want to write a packet for it but I don't mind filling out a team in need because I wouldn't mind reliving the glory of placing fourth in the Kansas state geography bee.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I don't have enough investment in a geography tournament to want to write a packet for it but I don't mind filling out a team in need because I wouldn't mind reliving the glory of placing fourth in the Kansas state geography bee.
I think there's still one slot left on the Dallas/Cody/Mike team, but I'm not entirely sure.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

ClemsonQB wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I don't have enough investment in a geography tournament to want to write a packet for it but I don't mind filling out a team in need because I wouldn't mind reliving the glory of placing fourth in the Kansas state geography bee.
I think there's still one slot left on the Dallas/Cody/Mike team, but I'm not entirely sure.
I've recently heard that their fourth slot is reserved for Andrew Ullsperger.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Due to sudden work committments, I will not be up there to staff this.
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'm still available to staff this tournament, though I need some specifics about where I need to go, when should I get there, etc.

EDIT: At this point, I know of somewhere in the O'Hare Hyatt, but not a timeframe, as I don't have a clue when scrimmages will conclude... Can anyone offer any guidance?
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would be willing to read or scorekeep during my bye round as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Since the nebulous Meigs packet may or may not have arrived, I am willing to cut loose from that team and serve as moderator if for some strange reason more moderators are needed (I count Katy, Jeff, and Auroni as definite moderators). I am also willing to go the Brian Young route and input stats while vaguely paying attention to questions.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

cvdwightw wrote:Since the nebulous Meigs packet may or may not have arrived, I am willing to cut loose from that team and serve as moderator if for some strange reason more moderators are needed (I count Katy, Jeff, and Auroni as definite moderators). I am also willing to go the Brian Young route and input stats while vaguely paying attention to questions.
Last I heard, the Meigs packet isn't happening. Also, Chris Chiego tells me that his team is in need of 3 free agents.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

ClemsonQB wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:Since the nebulous Meigs packet may or may not have arrived, I am willing to cut loose from that team and serve as moderator if for some strange reason more moderators are needed (I count Katy, Jeff, and Auroni as definite moderators). I am also willing to go the Brian Young route and input stats while vaguely paying attention to questions.
Last I heard, the Meigs packet isn't happening. Also, Chris Chiego tells me that his team is in need of 3 free agents.
So to confirm - we're at 7 teams/packets?
Katy
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

George, I sent you an e-mail about a potential problem with one of the tossups I wrote (so hopefully the address you have in your profile is correct). It's not dramatically problematic enough that it's a packet-killer or anything, but hopefully you can fix it in time for the event.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

fleurdelivre wrote:
ClemsonQB wrote:
So to confirm - we're at 7 teams/packets?
Five packets are completely finished, one is like 90% done, and the Chiego packet is still being written. I've been in touch with him very recently and he says he will get this to me by 4 PM tomorrow.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Cheynem wrote:George, I sent you an e-mail about a potential problem with one of the tossups I wrote (so hopefully the address you have in your profile is correct). It's not dramatically problematic enough that it's a packet-killer or anything, but hopefully you can fix it in time for the event.
I haven't received one at either of my main addresses. Try sending it to gsteven at clemson dot edu
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I can still staff this. I'll find my way to the tournament.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I sent it to your Clemson address, George.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

I have five packets in my inbox and the keys to 2403, 2422, and 2424. Meet in 2403 around 8? Spread the word, and email me (kathyn dot e dot peters at gmail) if you're still tied up with official duties at that time.
Katy
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

fleurdelivre wrote:I have five packets in my inbox and the keys to 2403, 2422, and 2424. Meet in 2403 around 8? Spread the word, and email me (kathyn dot e dot peters at gmail) if you're still tied up with official duties at that time.
I think I sent six packets.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

ClemsonQB wrote:
fleurdelivre wrote:I have five packets in my inbox and the keys to 2403, 2422, and 2424. Meet in 2403 around 8? Spread the word, and email me (kathyn dot e dot peters at gmail) if you're still tied up with official duties at that time.
My bad. 6!
Katy
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

fleurdelivre wrote:
ClemsonQB wrote:
fleurdelivre wrote:I have five packets in my inbox and the keys to 2403, 2422, and 2424. Meet in 2403 around 8? Spread the word.

My bad. 6!
Maker start time 10- everyone wants dinner.
Katy
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Katy, I just sent the last packet to your email address.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

I haven't heard anything about how this turned out. Who won?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

This tournament happened.

I think Jeff Hoppes' team won. I don't know the rankings of the teams. Stats were kept and will probably be posted soon.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I hear Meigs' team went 4-2.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Thanks for the info, Brendan and Mike.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Who won the freehand cartography competition?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

quantumfootball wrote:Who won the freehand cartography competition?
It didn't happen. We got done around 1:15, gave out a few books as prizes, and left.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
the return of AHAN
Auron

My impressions:

* Jeff Hoppes is ridiculous at geography. Everyone demonstrated varying degrees of brilliance, but he really stood out. The whole night/morning was quite an exhibition.

* Given this tournament was run with a flash drive, an iPhone, and post-it notes, I hereby christen Bryce and Katy the MacGyvers of quiz bowl. I was kind of hoping a buzzer system would break down to see what they might rig up to replace it. Maybe something with some room towels, a telephone cord, a TV remote, and a tube of toothpaste... I know they could make it happen.

* It was very cool to finally put some faces to the names on this board. Thanks for having me!
Jeff Price
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Thanks so much for the work put in to pull that off. Very nice to finally put some faces to names.
Stephen Fontenot
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

I'd also like to thank the readers and moderators, as well as Katy and Bryce, for making this happen.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Important Bird Area

Just wanted to say that I had a blast playing this tournament. Thanks to George for editing and Katy and Bryce for running the logistics. Would one of you mind sending the set to Chris Carter for the packet archive?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Just wanted to say that I had a blast playing this tournament. Thanks to George for editing and Katy and Bryce for running the logistics. Would one of you mind sending the set to Chris Carter for the packet archive?
I'm on it.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012