Interest in Comic Book Side Event?

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Interest in Comic Book Side Event?

Post by Cheynem »

As some of you know, I am currently writing a series of all-comic book packets. I'm currently about halfway done with packet five of a projected six packet event, so I hope to get this done in about two weeks at the most. These are 20/20 packets that are fairly accessible to the "average" comic book fan--it takes a very liberal definition of comic books to include (a). anything that was made into a comic, ever, including adaptations of cartoons, video games, etc. and (b). comic strips, webcomics, etc. There are also a good deal of questions about media portrayals of comic books (film, TV shows mostly). There isn't a set in stone distribution, but each packet contains about 5/5 Marvel, 5/5 DC, and a variety of other stuff. Since my own interest in comics tends to skew old, there's a lot of Silver/Bronze Age questions, but I think not overly so.

So what I would like to know if anyone running a tournament in this year at some point would like to use this side event (or mirror it or whatever). Because of my schedule, I cannot guarantee I can physically be present at any given tournament, but I will do my best. If there is some interest, respond in this thread or e-mail me at chey0004 (at) umn.edu. Thanks!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: Interest in Comic Book Side Event?

Post by dtaylor4 »

I would like to run this at a tournament here at Illinois.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

dtaylor4 wrote:I would like to run this at a tournament here at Illinois.
Yeah, specifically, I think we'd like to run it the weekend that we're running FICHTE II and the accompanying trash tournament. Since it's a long weekend being run nationally that doesn't yet have any accompanying events, I think it's probably the best candidate this spring.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I'd probably play this on the off chance that I'm helping moderate at a tournament that's hosting it, though I suspect I'd be getting a lot more b) than a).
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Comic strips and webcomics, you say? I'm in.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Donald and Tryg, that sounds fine to me. We'll talk more as the date draws nearer.

Looking through the four packets already written, there are actually much fewer webcomic questions than I thought there were, although there is actually quite a bit of comic strip stuff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Mike do you just want to just combine this with the TUs I've been writing? I see no real need for two comics side events.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

How many tossups do you have so far, George? If you have enough for a full packet(s), I could just add an additional packet(s), writing new bonuses if needed. If you don't, I can drop them into my already written packets and bump some of the weaker tossups.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

If you (possibly now both of you) think you can get this together on a much smaller timescale, we'd definitely love to run this as a side event at TIT. I know it's only three weeks away, but I figured I'd ask. I know someone who's driving down for TIT from Providence who you could make very, very happy.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I can get it done by then, especially if George can send me whatever tossups he has. My current projected finish date is the 17th or 19th. HOWEVER, with a little more time to edit plus working with George's stuff and whatnot, this will be a superior set, so I dunno.

I guess I inherently have no problem with this event being run at your tourney, but since I don't know if it will be run at the mirrors, I'm not sure if that precludes other folks (like the Midwestern teams, several of which have expressed interest in it) from getting a crack at it. I'd also kind of like it to be played at a tourney I was at (and barring a miracle, I won't be at Terrapin but I assume Minnesota plans to be at FICHTE). So...I guess I'm waffling. Any ideas?
Last edited by Cheynem on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I enjoy quiz-bowl!

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I know the event could run at TIT's midwest mirro at Northwestern. I do not know if if if Mississippi would be interested in running it with their TIT mirror, but I wouldn't imagine they'd be so strongly opposed to it since they're running a saturday/sunday deal already anyway.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

DumbJaques wrote:If you (possibly now both of you) think you can get this together on a much smaller timescale, we'd definitely love to run this as a side event at TIT. I know it's only three weeks away, but I figured I'd ask. I know someone who's driving down for TIT from Providence who you could make very, very happy.
Yeah, uh, lets get this set up.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here's the deal: If I can get this done in the next two weeks or so (and I still haven't heard from George regarding his questions), and everything clears on you and the mirrors' end, Terrapin can definitely run the event. I'm fairly sure I can get it done, but I don't want to promise anything right now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

So this set WILL have powers included and placed at my personal caprice. I don't think any of the tossups have less than 30% in power and certainly none will have more than about 60% in power. Use of these marks as "powers" or "superpowers" I think will be left to the person running the site.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The packets for this have now been posted at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/comics.zip.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Wheres the list of files that hsquizbowl.com hosts?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so