2009 Community College Championship Invitations

Old college threads.
rhentzel
Rikku

2009 Community College Championship Invitations

Post by rhentzel »

Coaches and Players --

NAQT has announced the initial set of invitations to the 2009 Community College Championship Tournament:

http://www.naqt.com/cc/2009/ccct/invitations.html

We have also posted the format for the tournament and updated the tentative schedule:

http://www.naqt.com/cc/2009/ccct/details.html

Qualified teams may now register online:

http://www.naqt.com/cc/2009/ccct/registration.jsp
EvanU
Lulu

Re: 2009 Community College Championship Invitations

Post by EvanU »

Does anyone know why Oxford-Emory and Tallahassee declined?
Evan Underwood
Bevill State
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

IIRC, Oxford is going to the four year sectional that is much closer to them than Florida is.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
ZebraDooley
Kimahri

Post by ZebraDooley »

EvanU wrote:Does anyone know why Oxford-Emory and Tallahassee declined?
Yes, Oxford College of Emory went to the regular NAQT SCT at UGA on Saturday. Mainly because the team captain (which would be me) has a principal role in the spring play, which runs the same weekend as the CCCT, and also because my other team members weren't too pleased with the prospect of missing classes that Friday to drive 10 hours each way to get stomped by you talented people :-p.

Maybe next year. That's what we keep telling ourselves.
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

This looks like it's going to be a fun trip. Who's going to Disney World?
Casey Lowery,
Northeast Alabama Community College
Brindlee Mountain High School '08
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I hope some people will give us updates throughout the tournament. Even though the CC loving contingent is small here, we are interested. Good luck to all, especially Faulkner.
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

In our pool, we and Chipola's team I believe are undefeated at 5-0, with JSR at 4-1. As for the other teams from our neck of the woods, I believe Beville-Jasper is 3-2, Jeff. State is somewhere around the 2 or 3 win mark, Faulkner is either 1-4 or 2-3 and Northeast is also undefeated. Anyone else can elaborate more if they'd like.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

JS Reynolds is currently playing Chipola A in an advantaged final. JSR went 10-1 and Chipola A went 9-2 and defeated NE Alabama and Valencia Red to emerge from a three-way tie for second place played off on half-games.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

JSR defeated Chipola A 350-205 to win the title.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Congrats to JSR for their title and also to Chipola. I thought an Alabama school would have reclaimed the title this year, but oh well, maybe next year. Though, the Borglum machine was shut down for only the second time in history. How did everyone like this new tournament? I for one, having not attended or anything, am in favor of everything to do with it, so I hope there was enjoyment from all. Again, congrats.

(edit grammar)
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I, for one, had a great time yesterday, and it certainly seems like that was the consensus. I'm glad that the top six still get to go to ICT, but gladder still that we got to have 24 CC teams duke it out amongst ourselves. Thanks to R. Hentzel, Emily Pike, and Chad and Shelly Kubicek for developing and running this new tournament. And thanks to everyone who came to staff.

Congrats to George and Gautham of JSR, who were very impressive. Still, not much differentiated the top 9-10 teams, and I think this was the deepest year I've ever seen for CC teams. I got to read for a lot of incredibly close and competitive matches.

Oh, and for the record, the top six were JSR, Chipola Gold, Valencia Red, NE Alabama, Broward, and Chipola Blue, all earning trips to Dallas. Chipola Gold, V-Red, and NE Bama had to play off for the right to get into the final against JSR on 12-question matches, with Chipola beating NE and then beating Valencia by 20. Once again one of my guys mispronounced an answer against Chipola, getting a neg that could've swung the mini-game (as happened in the finals at Delta Burke in November)--crap! Of course, Stan Young and Robert Dunkle deserve a ton of credit for building a deep program at Chipola and getting two teams in.

With lots of very good players returning for teams like Snead State, Bevill State, and Chipola, among others, I'm excited about the future of CC quizbowl. Now we just need to expand it out of the Southeast and Kansas.

PS--I thought the DII questions from the SCTs were very good. I look forward to reading the private discussion forum to see what others have been saying.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

I would like to add that i am totally in favor of this format and I hope that NAQT decides to continue to CC National Championship for years to come. Although I enjoyed when the CC teams were playing a tournament within a tournament at the ICT, this format seems to work a little better.

Congrats to George and Gautham from JS Reynolds for an impressive tournament. The Alabama schools were also impressive this year. We played against the Alabama schools in several tournaments this year and almost every school was impressive.

I would also like to thank Chris Borglum for hosting the tournament and just advancing the CC game in general. I have tried to model our program here at Chipola after the Valencia program. Chris has always been more than willing to offer suggestions to all teams, and has not kept his championship winning techniques to himself. And let's not forget that Valencia was 20 points from having a shot at the title again. Getting to top is one thing, but staying there year after year is quite impressive and difficult.

I look forward to seeing some of you in Dallas, and look forward to having a separate CC championship in the future.
Stan Young, Chipola College
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

I had a really good time at this tournament, and really enjoyed getting to meet everyone. Valencia A, the Alabama teams, and the two Chipola teams were all great teams, giving me some of the most exciting matches i've ever played. Thanks again to Chris Borglum and NAQT for hosting this tournament. Thanks again to every team we played and all the people we met for making this an awesome weekend.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

I also enjoyed myself and getting to play against all the Florida teams, JSR, etc. The questions were also good, although I thought a few of the powers were a bit ridiculous. I look forward to the next CCCT, wherever it may be, and have no doubt the tournament will be just as competitive as this years.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Unsubstantiated scuttle at the tournament suggested Mobile would be a good host city next year. Sounds good to me, though we're game for wherever. Can we find a CC in Oxford, Mississippi, so I can finally visit Faulkner's Rowan Oak and see the scheme for "A Fable" written on his kitchen wall?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Unsubstantiated scuttle at the tournament suggested Mobile would be a good host city next year. Sounds good to me, though we're game for wherever. Can we find a CC in Oxford, Mississippi, so I can finally visit Faulkner's Rowan Oak and see the scheme for "A Fable" written on his kitchen wall?
Man, Orlando was hard enough to be able to get to, and its a major travel hub.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Twas a fun tourney. Questions were good, competition was better. Still a little disappointed we did not make the top 6, but can't win em all I spose.
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

Congrats to JSR for winning the tournament. The format, questions, and competition were all great. Losing that close one to J. S. Reynolds almost makes me wish that I liked crappy music.(Props to George for answering "Right Now" 2 seconds after the giveaway lol) I was very impressed by the skill of the moderators and how well the tournament was put together. Borglum and the remainder of the Valencia team did an excellent job as host.
Casey Lowery,
Northeast Alabama Community College
Brindlee Mountain High School '08