VCU Open II at VCU - Saturday, August 8

Old college threads.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: VCU Open II at VCU - Saturday, August 8

Post by Tower Monarch »

Just in case people only check this thread before tomorrow, I would like to apologize here and announce the cancellation of the music tournament. As I said in the West Coast thread, I will just release the questions to a nearby tournament when I get a decent amount together.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Where will you need a ride from? I may be able to give you a ride there.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I'm in Wheaton.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
at your pleasure
Auron

Er, Wheaton's rather out of the way for me. Could you at least get yourself to Bethesda by around 6:30, or would that be more trouble than it's worth?
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Yeah, that doesn't seem very feasible.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
at your pleasure
Auron

I'm really sorry, then. It's just that I'm about 10 minutes from the American Legion Bridge, so Wheaton's in the exact opposite direction from my intended route.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm no expert on Maryland geography, but doesn't this only add on like 15 minutes to your already 100 mile car trip?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

It is now 7:25 Eastern Time and all 13 total packets for this tournament have been completed, randomized, and sent to Matt Weiner. I have also created a Google Doc with all the questions on it, accessible by Matt Weiner, in case something really freaky happens and packets didn't go through. In short, there is no reason to not have packets at the start of the tournament.

I'd have liked a little more time to go over the science in a couple packets, but I think overall people are going to be pleased (perhaps pleasantly surprised) with the quality of the tournament.

Good luck, and have fun.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We're breaking for lunch with 5 rounds done over here. Stats so far are at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Prelims done, playoffs happening, prelim stats up: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Great team names, Matt.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hot Pants. Jesus Christ. (Brendan Byrne, Tommy Casalaspi, Shantanu Jha, David Seal) has clinched the tournament title, finishing with 1 loss after a 300-190 victory in the last round over their nearest challenger. All other teams have 3+ losses. Other games for the last round are finishing up, and final stats will be posted as soon as scoresheets come in.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

OK, final stats are now up at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings. Signing off until tomorrow's events.
Matt Weiner
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Packet 4 had 20 tossups and 20 bonuses. How did a game that round get 21 answered tossups and 21 heard bonuses?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

cvdwightw wrote:Packet 4 had 20 tossups and 20 bonuses. How did a game that round get 21 answered tossups and 21 heard bonuses?
Pulled questions from packet 13.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation