VCU Open Music August 8, 2009

Old college threads.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

VCU Open Music August 8, 2009

Post by Tower Monarch »

This is the general announcement of an all Music tournament to be held on the weekend of VCU Open. This tournament will be written exclusively by myself to allow the most people to benefit from my study effort and will feature answers in the ACF Nationals canon with some expansion. As I am still in the planning stages, I am open to suggestions on the format, but my current favorite would be something similar to PACE's middle round, with 20 tossups worth 10 (I am open to power/superpower preferences) and a one-part 15-point bonus (on either the same sub-distribution or a chosen one, the first would speed things up). This format would allow me to throw less accessible answers into a 4-line bonus part. For those who are interested, I have not come up with a strict distribution yet, but the categories I am looking at are:
*Renaissance and earlier
*Baroque
*Classical
*Romantic
*Modern
*Theory- this would be texts or composers focusing on their theoretical output, etc.
*Fringe- Other Arts that are related to music, such as musicals, film scoring, etc
*Popular/Fake- this would include Jazz, rock, etc
Obviously, I plan to make the Baroque/Classical/Romantic/Modern comprise 80%+ of the tournament, but I figure the whole tournament would be more accessible with the last two categories appearing occasionally and the Earlier/Theoretical categories would expand the canon as these are generally un(der)-represented at most events. Let me know any thoughts, including the distribution, bonus format/existence, powers, or anything by posting here.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: VCU Open Music August 8, 2009

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Theory would probably be much better served having a certain chunk of it actually be music theory and not works about theory.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Theory would probably be much better served having a certain chunk of it actually be music theory and not works about theory.
Oh come on, the prospect of questions on works of theory and other writings on music is the single most fucking exciting thing I've heard in all my years of playing quizbowl. That being said, I'm down with plenty of actual music theory questions as well.

You know I'lll be there.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Yuna

Edited to add actual content: I'm all in favor of powers/superpowers; not sure what I think about single-part bonuses, though. (If you do decide to go with single-part, I'd be in favor of having them be related to tossups.)
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I can't attend this, but it sounds really cool. Maybe I'll play on a team with Hannah Kirsch Charles-Meigs style.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

I am very excited to play this. Looking forward to questions on Stravinsky's Poetics of Music!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Quizbowl, you say?!

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Captain Scipio wrote:Quizbowl, you say?!

MaS
Mike Sorice, I'm going to be sitting in my room on Thursday improvising questions about cartoons that aired on the WB during the 90s. Can I put you down for playing solo?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

BuzzerZen wrote:
Captain Scipio wrote:Quizbowl, you say?!

MaS
Mike Sorice, I'm going to be sitting in my room on Thursday improvising questions about cartoons that aired on the WB during the 90s. Can I put you down for playing solo?
hint: yes
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

ACF Nationals canon with some expansion
Is this of the ACF Nationals as in, there will be lots of hard questions but some questions on easier things with harder, interesting leadins and middle parts, or as in no answers that you'd ever see at lower level tournaments? Generally I'd say it's not the worst idea to go with the former for accessibility issues (probably a better way to make things more accessible than to throw random trash in there every other packet, etc).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

DumbJaques wrote:
Is this of the ACF Nationals as in, there will be lots of hard questions but some questions on easier things with harder, interesting leadins and middle parts, or as in no answers that you'd ever see at lower level tournaments? Generally I'd say it's not the worst idea to go with the former for accessibility issues (probably a better way to make things more accessible than to throw random trash in there every other packet, etc).
The idea here is that, for the tossups at least, I will draw from the Nationals canon, meaning there will be some answers that are within the Fall canon and even the high school canon, but the questions should feature lead-ins on par with CO and Nationals to differentiate the best music players.

Now, to answer my own questions and everyone's comments, I am currently planning to go with the single-part bonus that will be related to the TU answer, preferably without any comical convolutions. As an example, I will use a trash answer that I will definitely not be using that should also demonstrate the difference in difficulty: if there is a tossup on KoRn, then the bonus would go something like: "KoRn notably has a single titled 'Right Now', as does Van Halen. This other Van Halen song...." ANSWER: "Jamie's Crying". Theory will include both actual written works (probably not as much in tossups, unless I find these are actually in the canon) and actual examples of music theory, but the bottom line is that I am looking at a maximum of 2/2 per round. I have tentatively settled on 20/20, with around 1/1 each of what I labeled as Fringe and Popular. Barring any major objections/requests, I will insert 15-point powers but will pass on the superpowers.
Again, comments are appreciated.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Tower Monarch wrote: if there is a tossup on KoRn
NO DONT

Seriously though, if I am in fact at VCU Open, as I plan to be, I'd love to play this.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Yuna

Tower Monarch wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
The idea here is that, for the tossups at least, I will draw from the Nationals canon, meaning there will be some answers that are within the Fall canon and even the high school canon, but the questions should feature lead-ins on par with CO and Nationals to differentiate the best music players.

Now, to answer my own questions and everyone's comments, I am currently planning to go with the single-part bonus that will be related to the TU answer, preferably without any comical convolutions. As an example, I will use a trash answer that I will definitely not be using that should also demonstrate the difference in difficulty: if there is a tossup on KoRn, then the bonus would go something like: "KoRn notably has a single titled 'Right Now', as does Van Halen. This other Van Halen song...." ANSWER: "Jamie's Crying". Theory will include both actual written works (probably not as much in tossups, unless I find these are actually in the canon) and actual examples of music theory, but the bottom line is that I am looking at a maximum of 2/2 per round. I have tentatively settled on 20/20, with around 1/1 each of what I labeled as Fringe and Popular. Barring any major objections/requests, I will insert 15-point powers but will pass on the superpowers.
Again, comments are appreciated.
Is jazz and the various non-western musical traditions going to be included in "fringe/popular"? (For the record, I hope not, since jazz is big enough to deserve at least 1/1 all by its own, and I am in favor of making space for some more serious/artsy works of pop music, not because of the bogus "trash=accessible" canard, but rather on Sandowian grounds.)

Also, 2/2 theory sounds good.
Chris White
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote: Is jazz and the various non-western musical traditions going to be included in "fringe/popular"? (For the record, I hope not, since jazz is big enough to deserve at least 1/1 all by its own, and I am in favor of making space for some more serious/artsy works of pop music, not because of the bogus "trash=accessible" canard, but rather on Sandowian grounds.)
It's still open to discussion, but I currently intend to have jazz and the "serious/artsy pop music" make up a 1/1 popular with the 1/1 fringe being more like movie music, musicals, notable conductors, notable virtuosos. If I bump each of these 1/1 up to 2/2, I would probably move the theory up to 3/3 and make a round 25/25 (which would probably still run quickly with the single bonus part), so that would be an option.
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Was it ever stated whether this is singles, doubles, or quads, or is that just implied somewhere?
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

OctagonJoe wrote:Was it ever stated whether this is singles, doubles, or quads, or is that just implied somewhere?
The plan is for it to be singles, but it can become doubles the day of if necessary, especially if there are pairs who won't play solo.
Yuna

Tower Monarch wrote:
Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote: Is jazz and the various non-western musical traditions going to be included in "fringe/popular"? (For the record, I hope not, since jazz is big enough to deserve at least 1/1 all by its own, and I am in favor of making space for some more serious/artsy works of pop music, not because of the bogus "trash=accessible" canard, but rather on Sandowian grounds.)
It's still open to discussion, but I currently intend to have jazz and the "serious/artsy pop music" make up a 1/1 popular with the 1/1 fringe being more like movie music, musicals, notable conductors, notable virtuosos. If I bump each of these 1/1 up to 2/2, I would probably move the theory up to 3/3 and make a round 25/25 (which would probably still run quickly with the single bonus part), so that would be an option.
Ooh, questions on conductors and virtuosos. This tournament just keeps getting better.
Chris White
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I'm thrilled at the chance to play this; I will be there.

EDIT: Scratch that; sadly, it looks like I won't be able to come to this or the main tournament. But I'd like to play on these in some shape or form, so if you need a playtester, let me know.
Last edited by Lagotto Romagnolo on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I sure as hell am not going to play this.

But I'll probably be able to moderate.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
lagazzaladra
Lulu

Post by lagazzaladra »

I'm just a high school student, but I would like to play in this if that's alright with the people running it.
Seoup Youn
TJHSST 2011
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

lagazzaladra wrote:I'm just a high school student, but I would like to play in this if that's alright with the people running it.
It's written by a high school student, and there will be a high school student among the top players there, so yes, you are more than welcome.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I plan on being at VCU Open and will comically attempt to play this even though I am apparently tone-deaf. I didn't see a notice about the price, so I am hoping it will be low.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I can't tell you how happy I am to see an all music tournament, especially one that will have questions on conductors and virtuosos (sadly neglected subjects in quiz bowl)! I am coming to the VCU Open just to play this.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
lagazzaladra
Lulu

Post by lagazzaladra »

unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to come to this. If you need playtesters, I'd be more than willing to help out.
Seoup Youn
TJHSST 2011
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I intend to play this.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've heard this was singles--is this true? (I'd like to play this, but I would prefer not to play solo)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

I apologize to those of you who wanted a large third event for the weekend, but in the interest of completing CaTO/TaCO and keeping my sanity, this tournament will now be a sort of mini-event. It will still be singles (provided buzzers/staffers allow this), with the upside of an earlier end time on Saturday and a more affordable price ($10 if it is as long as I hope, but probably only $5) and the downside that it will be no longer than 6 rounds total. Again, I am sorry, but the only other option is an indefinite delay because I really want Sunday's event to be as strong as it can be.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'll staff, by the way.
Andrew Watkins
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I am fine with this being a mini-side event. I can also bring two buzzers. They aren't fully functional, but they would be fine for singles/doubles.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Can we have a field posted for this?
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I can read for this.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

I can staff this.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Now I am waffling about playing vs. reading. I'll do whatever is more convenient for the field, and I'll definitely play if there's going to be an abundance of non-me readers.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am in the same boat as Rob, but I would like to play if there are enough readers.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I'll read for this
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Maximus
Lulu

Post by Maximus »

I can read for this.
Richard Mason, Yale
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Hey, I want to thank everyone who has shown interest in playing this tournament and those of you who offered to staff. At this time, the projected length of the tournament is less than five rounds, none of which will be able to reach even the 16/16 I thought would be a minimum for a round. Unless anyone has an extreme preference for playing the smallest side event ever with no quality guarantees, I have, regretfully, decided it would be a better idea to help make CaTO/TaCO a full length event. I apologize to anyone all of you who expected more, but I hope you will appreciate the earlier leaving time on Saturday and the higher quality of my contribution to Sunday's tournament.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Can I at least persuade you to pull together a name that tune with like 50 pieces of varying levels of known-ness and time periods, and have all us music folks fill out like a worksheet with titles and composers to get points? I enjoyed doing that at HSNCT one year and think it could be enjoyable to continue.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

Charlie, if it's any compensation, Cato Taco will have an above-average amount of music in it which I guarantee will be very high quality.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Can I at least persuade you to pull together a name that tune with like 50 pieces of varying levels of known-ness and time periods, and have all us music folks fill out like a worksheet with titles and composers to get points? I enjoyed doing that at HSNCT one year and think it could be enjoyable to continue.
Yeah, that was actually really fun. Even though I didn't do that well.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I am willing/able to assemble an impromptu classical name that tune tournament assuming I do not explode with rage tomorrow over the fifty-five people who fucked out on VCU Open writing and caused me to stay up all night finishing the tournament despite having "my" portion done a day ago.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org