ICT Prediction Pool 2009

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

ICT Prediction Pool 2009

Post by Matt Weiner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:14 am

Try to dethrone defending champion Brendan Byrne from last year's contest by answering me these questions several about the 2009 ICT:

30 total points possible

*Making your best guess at how the prelim brackets will be arranged and who will win them, tell me the 8 teams who make the top playoff bracket in Division I (1 point each)

*Tell me the top three overall teams in the tournament, out of that group (3 points for exactly right, 2 points for switching 1 and 2, 1 point for switching 2 and 3)

*Name the undergrad champion (1 point)

*Estimate the total number of powers by both teams in the last game of the overall finals (3 points for exactly right, 2 points for within 2, 1 point for within 3)

*List the Division II top three overall (6 points for exactly right, 4 points for being off by a 1-2 or 2-3 switch, or up to 3 points for each team you correctly get in the top 3 at all)

*Name five things that will be the answers to trash, general knowledge, or current events tossups in DI (1 point each, up to 5 points total, 5 point bonus for getting a perfect score here). Note: only questions from packets read at the actual tournament count, I'm not going to buy a set of the packets just to see if your predicted tossup on "quizno's commercials" came up in round 20

*Out of all teams that have one or more overall individual all-stars in DI, at what place will the lowest-finishing such team finish? (E.g., 14th place, 23rd place, etc) 2 points for exactly right, 1 point for being within two.

Anyone who gets a perfect 30 will receive a can of Chupa Chups at my expense. Otherwise, the winner will be publicly identified as perceptive about NAQT team performance and receive the satisfaction of a job well done.

Send your entries to mattweiner.vcu@gmail.com with the subject "2009 ICT Prediction Contest." If you want to post them here as well, that's up to you, but I will only evaluate entries sent to that address.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

Cheynem
Sin

Re: ICT Prediction Pool 2009

Post by Cheynem » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm too lazy to fill out a general ballot, but I think the following ten things will come up:

1. Oddjob
2. Wasilla Assembly of God
3. Colonel Mustard
4. Herman Rosenblat
5. Dr. Faustus (the comic book character)
6. the phrase "Yes, We Can!"
7. "The Worst Person in the World"
8. Matt Birk. Brendan Byrne will be unable to buzz in after contracting paralyzing hate.
9. Dallas, Texas
10. The Red Skelton character "Clem Kadiddlehopper"
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Congratulations to 2009 master predictor Carsten Gehring, who won the contest with a score of 13. His prize will be a shoe, thrown at his head during an upcoming press conference.

Scores of other entrants were:

Evan Adams 12
Kevin Marshall 11
Andy Kravis 11
Andy Watkins 10
Eric Douglass 8
Jon Pinyan 8
Jonathan Graham 6
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 pm

As far as I know, none of the ten things I predicted came up, although "Texas" came up in the first round.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Please to be posting ballots, Matt?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

jonpin
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by jonpin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:His prize will be a shoe, thrown at his head
I probably should've included that as one of my "awful answers". I have only myself to blame for a miserable finish. Well, myself, and the teams that I expected would do better.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov