ANNOUNCEMENT: Chicago Open (Weekend of July 25th, 2009)

Old college threads.
millionwaves
Auron

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Chicago Open (Weekend of July 25th, 2009)

Post by millionwaves »

Hey, everyone, I'm back in Urbana now, so here's a wrap-up post.

Congratulations to The Lady's not for Byrning, consisting of Matt Weiner, Brendan Byrne, Andrew Hart, and Rob Carson, which won the second game of their advantaged final over In Vinokurov Veritas to claim this year's Chicago Open Championship. Ragged Dick and the Algerian Heroes came in third, followed by Team Mike Sorice Sure Does Turn in his Questions Late.

Thank you all very much for coming out to play Chicago Open this year. I hope you all enjoyed the questions and the tournament; we certainly enjoyed putting it on for you and editing your (by and large, quite exciting) submissions.

Not enough can be said about how great Chris Carter was at doing organizational stuff for this tournament, particularly in the week leading up to the tournament when things got crazy on my end of things with writing and editing. He made all the schedules, invoices, and performed excellently as a statistician. Similarly, Bernadette Spencer was particularly clutch the day of the tournament, writing several excellent religion questions to fill out that distribution.

The following people gave up their Saturday to come out and staff CO, earning a free lunch and my eternal gratitude: Jack Glerum, Craig Messner, Brad Fischer, Kristin Strey, Mike Laudermith, Matt Laird, Donald Taylor, Jonah Greenthal (who went to Chipotle for us because I didn't have a car. Clutch!), Nolan Esser, Margo Emont, "Silent" Jeff Geringer, Jason Loy, and Bernadette Spencer. You guys were fantastic and everyone sincerely appreciated your dedication to good quizbowl.

We want to fix one or two holes in the set before we post it publicly. In the meantime, you can e-mail Chris Carter at [email protected] and he will give you the packets that were used. I'm going to start a thread in the discussion forum in which people can discuss the questions.

Thank you all again for playing Chicago Open this year. We sincerely hoped you enjoyed it and we had a great time getting it together for you.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I have the stats for the second final if someone wants to add that in; IM me or something.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:I have the stats for the second final if someone wants to add that in; IM me or something.
Yeah, on a related note I found the stats for the last game between our team and Magin's team but they somehow got lost during lit, it seems. I think Magin may have been keeping stats during the game; is this true?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Yeah, I kept stats for that game, and I think I can reconstruct all of them from what I wrote down.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"